Thread: Snowbowl pics

banned

Snowbowl pics

Me and U2metoo headed up to flag on saturday and fun was had by all. The lifts were on wind hold so the morning started with a hike.

1. U2metoo hiking up to blackjack
    2. Great snow on lift line
    3. U2meetoo on the slopes
    4. Me at the top
    5. Heading down the ridge
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned

more fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occidental Tourist
    nice - got me all envious like. hopefully i'll get in a few turns in CO in a few weeks.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Yuri, where are you skiing in CO?

If you're heading to Eagle or Summit counties, let me and Perl know. We'd love to hook up with you on the sticks.

banned
    There is talk of going up again fri. or sat. there are rumors of lines being rideable in the inner basin.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    If you're heading to Eagle or Summit counties, let me and Perl know. We'd love to hook up with you on the sticks.
    we'll be in denver the weekend of the fling (I think you'll be down here).
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    There is talk of going up again fri. or sat. there are rumors of lines being rideable in the inner basin.
    tis no rumor. not sure about the condition or quality but....

banned
    you know of anyone making turns out there?

mtbr member
    Well, epicrider and friends shralped a pretty sic line off of the false summit of Humphreys (the slope/colouir behind you in your 4th pic) last Sat. http://www.juniper-solutions.com/epicrider/index.php

I might have been a little leery on this one the way the wind was howling out of the northwest on Friday. Could have been windloaded on top of boilerplate sun crust but I wasn't there so what do I know. I did come across their skin/split board track above Dutchman while out touring. Which by the way isn't skiable but the trees were pretty good. Lots of depth hoar but surface conditions were good. Maybe 3 feet of settled snow on northwest aspects.

There hasn't been much traffic in the inner basin so far this season. Access is a bit heinous. Cutting over to the low saddle from the top of the chair across the upper bowl has been closed all season. There isn't much snow to make skinning easy, necessitating booting up the loose stuff. I doubt you can ski/board all the way out to 89 (the typical IB tour) so you would have to walk some. Or a lot. There is enough snow on Sundance to come back through the ski area. That's about it. Alison Clay is still mostly a rock pile. At any rate, the backcountry isn't a full on go just yet but if you go you may want to check for recent observations here http://www.kachinapeaks.org/

banned

Thanks Rockman!

Yuri pointed me to epicriders blog. Nice one indeed. On saturday the gate by the top patrol hut was open. Can you not go out that gate and hike up over the ridge with a permit? If not, how are people getting into that colouir? No updates on kachinapeaks.org Just a mention of tracks being seen.

mtbr member
    Technically, you should check in with ski patrol at the top and have a backcountry permit before hiking above the patrol shack (up Agassiz) or across the upper bowl (this gate to the old cat track has been closed all winter). Actually, I'm not which gate your referring to but anyway, up Agassiz to the false summit and then across upper bowl to Snowslide Spring side of Core Ridge would be one way to the IB. If your riding the chair. Epicrider and posse went up the Humphrey Peaks trail and then beelined it up the northwest flank of Humpheys. That's a 3000 climb from the parking lot. I'm guessing they probably had to take off skis/boards for the last 1000 feet or so. Everything north and northwest facing has been getting windscoured all winter.

banned
    Thanks for the info. You going to be out this weekend?

mtbr member
    Jrock, Thanks for posting the pics.

All I could think about today was how I'd like to rip those lines off the top of the ridge.

I am anxious about heading back up again.

Bend, OR
    nice pictures.

Rippin the teles, sweet.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Jrock, Thanks for posting the pics.

All I could think about today was how I'd like to rip those lines off the top of the ridge.

I am anxious about heading back up again.

Great riding with you to Sam. It's a good day when a 3 pinner and a knuckledragger can rip it together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Thanks for the info. You going to be out this weekend?
    I'll be up there for sure on Sat. My daughter is on ski team so I'll be there at 8:30. Pretty good breakfast burritos in the upper lodge. I've got the same T1 Bumblebee era boots as yerself.

This wed-thurs storm is looking dry and windy but maybe it will add up. Need another foot or two up there to really open things up.