I am Bob

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)

I'm planning to ride up and over 4 peaks road this weekend and realized I had not considered the snow factor. I've been up there after reasonably heavy snowfall and it seemed to melt from the road for the most part within a couple of days. Here is the weather for the the high point of the ride around 6K feet. I'm hoping to leave on Friday mid morning.

I imagine it might be a bit muddy and wet, but I'm thinking the snow will be in the peaks and shadows for the most part. Any opinions on this?

My plan is to get dropped off at the 4peaks road staging area and ride over to Roosevelt lake, get a burger at Bostons, spend the night (will be sleeping and cold weather riding gear) and ride back on Apache trail and eventually back to the valley. I know boring dirt road, blah, blah, but I think it will be fun.

The ride will likely have more than 10k feet of gain and be around 90 miles, but at least 25 of it will be on the road between AJ and Tempe.

Any thoughts on the snow conditions up there? I'll give the ranger's office a call, but was hoping for opinions here too.

EDIT: The law enforcement line for the Mesa Ranger district says the snow should be clear for the most part, but there will be water running in the washes and some mud, but he said it should be fine by Friday.
    Last edited by chongoman; 02-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I did a ride from the staging area to Lone Pine Saddle and back in November of 2011. I remember hitting snow in the shaded areas about a mile before the junction with El Oso road. I also remember seeing a fair amount of 4x4's and ATVs/Dirt Bikes. I know that area has seen some snow lately, but assuming it has been getting some traffic, the snow might be packed enough to ride on (fatbike?). Forecast calls for sunshine the rest of this week, which will give it some time to melt too; might make it pretty wet/muddy though. There are a couple of dry creek crossings that might be flowing a bit as well. In the end, what've you got to lose? I say go for it. If you do go for it, post up when you've finished your journey. Sounds like an awesome trip.

I am Bob
    Awesome! Gnar Gnar Tours is providing me a shuttle to the drop off. It's just about what a taxi would cost, but I can bring my bike and all my gear.
    I'll be keeping them in mind for future local bike pack options.

Post here if your interested in this. I'm not sure of the pace I'll be going, but if I'm feeling good I'll ride as long as I can and might try to get a bit up Apache trail before going down for the night and will be bringing a light. I'll likely stop at Bostons for dinner.

My other ride is your mom
    Enjoy the spin

I am Bob

Brief Report

For a dirt road ride, this was excellent.
    Great views, great camp spot, TONS of climbing.
    Thanks to Gnar Gnar for hooking up the shuttle at a great rate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-001.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-004.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-007.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-009.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-012.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-016.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-019.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-027.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-031.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-033.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-040.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-041.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-047.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-056.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-061.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-099.jpg  

Snow on Cline Cabin Rd (Four Peaks)-4-peaks-apache-trail-062.jpg  

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice! Looks like a great trip.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for sharing those photos. The views out that way are excellent to say the least. 11kft of climbing and 100 miles are some impressive stats as well. You've got me jonesing to make my way out there again.

Give it a crank
    Awesome ride & photos, thanks for posting some winter riding stoke!