mtbr member
    May 2011

Snow Bird Trail Problem...Gold Canyon

Riding Snow Bird trail as it descends on the west side of the hill, is very chewed up from hard braking, causing ruts to form that will lead to a lot of erosion. The tight turns and steep decent leaves little choice but to avoid riding that trail segment down the hill. Please consider preserving the terrain and climb the west side riding the trail clockwise.

Some body with more experience than me might provide a better solution?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Don't skid!
    Because, one is never enough.

dirt visionary
    don't build unsustainable trail
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    What clockwork said. Poor design = host of problems. Better to let it return to wild (if possible) and re-route in a more sustainable fashion next season. I'm afraid that it's just going to evolve into one ugly scar in short order.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

How much further ???
    +1

I rode this trail once and my first thought coming down that section was "this will never last". Never riden it since and dont plan too again.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Upon reviewing your post on the Snowbird trail a guy I know in Sedona who did a lot of volunteer work for the FS has looked into a possible trail re-route on the Snowbird trail that could make the trail a popular go to ride for the mountain biker types who like a challenging climb to a great view area with a fun not so technical sustainable downhill. There is no other place in the Gold Canyon riding area that offers such great 360 views as Snowbird, and it would be nice to consider a fix to the unsustainable section. It would take about 16 to 20 man hours to complete the project by some passionate workerss, but if done properly it would certainly make lemonade out of lemons.

My friend is really looking to see if the mountain bikers in that area care enough about that trail to make it a great ride for the advanced masses who like climbing trails with super saguaro views with the rugged Superstition Mountains in the backdrop.

He would be happy to do the project himself, but he is currently involved with the important Sedona trail planning process searching out new trail ideas that will keep Sedona from dropping out of world class destination status it had before the recent trail closure of over 30 miles of the most fun challenging singletrack in the country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snow Bird Trail Problem...Gold Canyon-snowbird-re-route.jpg  

Last edited by TNC3; 03-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Why not wait until next winter when you're visiting? That way you can first reclaim and revegetate the hillside that gets destroyed by further use and monsoon-season downpours. I would suggest that in addition to the "No Horses" signs you have posted (if in fact you are or have any relation or association with who I think you are) you post your unsustainable downhill with "No Humans" signs as well. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by GilaMonster; 03-28-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Not harsh enough
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't skid.....hahahahaa!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

I am Walt

Snow Bird Trail Problem...Gold Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by TNC3 View Post
    Upon reviewing your post on the Snowbird trail a guy I know in Sedona who did a lot of volunteer work for the FS has looked into a possible trail re-route on the Snowbird trail that could make the trail a popular go to ride for the mountain biker types who like a challenging climb to a great view area with a fun not so technical sustainable downhill. There is no other place in the Gold Canyon riding area that offers such great 360 views as Snowbird, and it would be nice to consider a fix to the unsustainable section. It would take about 16 to 20 man hours to complete the project by some passionate workerss, but if done properly it would certainly make lemonade out of lemons.

My friend is really looking to see if the mountain bikers in that area care enough about that trail to make it a great ride for the advanced masses who like climbing trails with super saguaro views with the rugged Superstition Mountains in the backdrop.

He would be happy to do the project himself, but he is currently involved with the important Sedona trail planning process searching out new trail ideas that will keep Sedona from dropping out of world class destination status it had before the recent trail closure of over 30 miles of the most fun challenging singletrack in the country.
    Hmmm...that writing style sure sounds familiar...:-/

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    See what you caused Capt? Now everybody hates everybody and Sedona is once-again in the thread! (Wanna ride next Wednesday?)

How much further ???
    Wait someone put up a "No horses" sign?!?!? Isnt part of Snowbird and old horse trail? Doesnt seem like a good way to keep the peace with other trail users now does it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Wait someone put up a "No horses" sign?!?!? Isnt part of Snowbird and old horse trail? Doesnt seem like a good way to keep the peace with other trail users now does it.
    As always, the jerkiness will escalate with the heat.

How much further ???
    I was informed this was done over the winter months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I was informed this was done over the winter months.
    So the bottom's in with signs, by end of summer, there will probably be a shooting or two.

mtbr member
    Douger, that did occur over the winter months, you are correct, and both times over my objections. So I understood where you were coming from. Waltaz, if it sounds familiar, it should. After he was temporarily banished from his forest kingdom, the one whose name shall not be mentioned made his way south with a Canadian friend of his. At first it seemed all was well here in Gold Canyon...but then things went downhill quickly with the "no horses" signs, the connectors built to connectors built to connectors, and of course, the infamous and destructive Snowbird downhill section (that I hope all will have the good sense to avoid). I think the Canadian finally got the hint and quit, and the aforementioned author with the familiar sound went back home to Sedona once he was no longer banished from the kingdom. With all the good will I can muster, I sincerely hope he stays there, and I hope the Canadian goes on an extended Carnival Cruise next year.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Hmmm...that writing style sure sounds familiar...:-/
    I had the same thought.....
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    And I thought Canadians knew how to build trail. Freeeeeeeeeeriiiiiiiiiddddeeeeeee!!!!!! Have to say I've never made it to Snowbird, and now with good reason. What we need is a Gold Canyon self-appointed ambassador to clean this up.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Hey Dag Nabbit, THAT'S a GREAT idea. Unfortunately, that local resident moved on as well. As for Canadians, they may know how to build trail in wetter climes with tacky earth and rainforest to protect against erosion, but not only do they not understand that these styles don't translate very well to our climate and ground conditions, they refuse to listen to locals who understand all too well. What was surprising was how eager the Coconino Banished One was to assist in this destruction. One would think he would have known better. And then, of course, is the matter of Matterhorn at Hawes. Awfully suspicious that when the Two Musketeers moved on from GC, that "piece de downhill resistance" appeared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC3 View Post
    "My friend is really looking to see if the mountain bikers in that area care enough about that trail to make it a great ride for the advanced masses who like climbing trails with super saguaro views with the rugged Superstition Mountains in the backdrop."
    Didn't Jan Brady have a "friend?" Or was it a "friend of a friend?" I forget my TV trivia. Not to worry. As for "the advanced masses," you make it sound like a horde of locusts, and you can keep your plague elsewhere, perhaps in the Coconino from whence you come.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstition62 View Post
    See what you caused Capt? Now everybody hates everybody and Sedona is once-again in the thread! (Wanna ride next Wednesday?)
    I will be at apache land at 10 am...hat in hand...Wed April 3. GM are you available?

mtbr member
    Gotta work for The Man, can ride after 5PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey how about a 1730 start from Apache Land...we may get a few more riders.?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt71 View Post
    Hey how about a 1730 start from Apache Land...we may get a few more riders.?
    1730 works for me, from Apache Land. See you there.