Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

SMP North trail sabotage ?

On my ride today on Sidewinder downhill coming around a blind corner this is laying across the trail.

SMP North trail sabotage ?-003.jpg

Meatbomb
    The horror.

Did you go around or bunny hop?

mtbr member
    It raises the question - why the mountain biker hate? I've never understood the dislike toward mountain bikers from hikers and equestrians. When I was riding Black Canyon last month, I came across some hikers and was quite happy to see them because they were the first human beings I'd seen in a few hours. I tried to chat with them but they looked at me as if I was some undesirable vagabond who was somehow ruining their pristine environment. And equestrians usually get annoyed that they have to pull their horse over to the side of the trail to let us pass.....hey, its much easier to pull your horse over than to completely stop your ride, lose all of your momentum, and push your bike on foot so you don't startle a horse. Some people just can't adapt to the 21st century, I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    The horror.

Did you go around or bunny hop?
    Stopped and moved it, don't know why the biker I passed just before this didn't move it.

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, honestly, there are times when I come across a big obstacle in the middle of the trail(like a rock or something) that wasn't there the last time and can possibly be a hazard to someone. Most of the time I'll stop and kick it out of the way, but sometimes, just don't feel like stopping.
    Don't get excited you anti-trail-cleanser folks...I'm not dumbing down any trails, just removing something that wasn't there before that could hurt someone not expecting it.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Meatbomb
    Maybe the pic is not doing it justice but that does not look like an overly dangerous piece of sabotage to me.. looks like a big stick in the trail in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    It raises the question - why the mountain biker hate?
    All it takes is couple of a-holes.

mtbr member

SMP North trail sabotage ?

It raises the question - why the mountain biker hate? I've never understood the dislike toward mountain bikers from hikers and equestrians. When I was riding Black Canyon last month, I came across some hikers and was quite happy to see them because they were the first human beings I'd seen in a few hours. I tried to chat with them but they looked at me as if I was some undesirable vagabond who was somehow ruining their pristine environment. And equestrians usually get annoyed that they have to pull their horse over to the side of the trail to let us pass.....hey, its much easier to pull your horse over than to completely stop your ride, lose all of your momentum, and push your bike on foot so you don't startle a horse. Some people just can't adapt to the 21st century, I guess.
    Yeah - I don't know if a branch in the trail is mountain biker hate.

Maybe the hikers just didn't want to be social. BCT is a place to get away from it all, not necessarily meaning they hate mountain bikers.

Bikes yield to horses - has always been the rule. It is for everyone's safety. Please don't complain about that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What are you guys talking about? I've never seen any hate in my direction by hikers or equestrians. They always step aside even if they don't need to, most of them say "hi" and sometimes I hear "have a good ride".
    May be it's because I'm not a local one here, but I really don't see any hate when I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Maybe I am just awesome, but I would just loft a front and lift the rear to clear that on my SS hardtail. So the F what? Who gives a shat if a hiker moves a rock to make it a little easier to walk over or something. As long as its not a booby trap I say let it go. We ride mountain bikes on trails, not BMX tracks. We should always expect the unexpected and this is why I ride EVERY trail like its the first time.We are the minority vs. hikers and the complete newbs vs. horse riders and need to earn our chops. Like I have said before, if every one of us made it a priority to say at least 5 words to whomever we encounter on the trail (even other bikes) it would go a long way to helping our acceptance. Seriously-STFU and ride like nice humans, and if an encounter with someone else on our beautiful trails while we are experiencing things that many others never will is going to ruin your day, you need another hobby. Oh and for the Strava-haters, I can do all that and still get a top 10 on a new trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    On my ride today on Sidewinder downhill coming around a blind corner this is laying across the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	854403
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    ^^^ Word. Be friendly, don't be a stack up roadie... and if you manage to be friendly to every hiker/biker - as in say hi and thank them for moving out of the way - and still get a KOM then you are truly a bad ass.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    And equestrians usually get annoyed that they have to pull their horse over to the side of the trail to let us pass.....hey, its much easier to pull your horse over than to completely stop your ride, lose all of your momentum, and push your bike on foot so you don't startle a horse. Some people just can't adapt to the 21st century, I guess.
    Well, whatever's easier for you......that's what it says on the sign, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	854403
    Seems like plenty of space go around. No big deal. Personally I never ride blind. I always watch the trail in front as it is easy to forget which turn is which and then assume some trail feature is coming. So I always rely on the trail in front rater than what I remember. Unlike road biking, mtn biking is all about reacting to what the trail throws at you. I once when around a blind turn at the start of the big central climb on on these trails (from west to east) and the trail was washed out badly. There was a 3 foot deep 6 foot wide square edge drop that running water carved. That thing was ready hurt a biker coming by too fast, but was caused by nature. Thing happen and you must always ride prepared. That log could easily have been someone hurt in the middle of the trail too. You must always ride with your head up prepared for anything.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I came in here expecting to see some moto made its way through the system rutting up corners or something. It's dumb if somebody put that there with the intent on injuring a trail user. That being said, if you are coming around a blind corner and see that and aren't able to maneuver over or around it... what were you going to do if it was another trail user in that exact spot? At least the obstacle here won't react in any way - unlike a hiker with earbuds in, or a mom pushing her kids around in a stroller or an equestrian.

Oh, and I guess the "techy section" count on SMP just went from 0 to 1 =)

How much further ???
    Now that's funny.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Two words: Specialized!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    It raises the question - why the mountain biker hate? I've never understood the dislike toward mountain bikers from hikers and equestrians.
    Because there are just enough of us out there that act like complete douche bags on the trail (don't slow down, don't yield properly, riding off-trail) that they assume we are all like that.

And equestrians usually get annoyed that they have to pull their horse over to the side of the trail to let us pass.....hey, its much easier to pull your horse over than to completely stop your ride, lose all of your momentum, and push your bike on foot so you don't startle a horse. Some people just can't adapt to the 21st century, I guess.
    I hate to say it but if this is your yielding policy then you are part of the problem. I've not ridden every trail in AZ but I've NEVER been on one that EVERYONE was not supposed to yield to horses. Horses > Hikers and Hikers > MTBers and MTBers yield to EVERYONE.

Yes, I understand that it's almost ALWAYS easier for a hiker to take two steps off the path and let us by. Fortunately, most hikers understand this. But, that's not the rule.

And horses... Why would anyone want to put themselves in danger of being trampled or kicked by a 2000# animal? Stop, let them by, continue on unscathed. Simple, really.

MTBers yield to everyone. When we all start abiding by the rules maybe there will be less MTB hate?

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Like I have said before, if every one of us made it a priority to say at least 5 words to whomever we encounter on the trail (even other bikes) it would go a long way to helping our acceptance.
    That's precisely why I throw a "good morning" out to everyone I pass on the trail.

mtbr member
    hey, its much easier to pull your horse over than to completely stop your ride, lose all of your momentum, and push your bike on foot so you don't startle a horse. Some people just can't adapt to the 21st century, I guess.
    Respectfully disagree

Meatbomb
    I agree with your disagreement.

Meatbomb
    What is the proper course of action when approaching horses from the rear? I typically let my presence be known as soon as possible and let the riders set the stage.

mtbr member
    What is the proper course of action when approaching horses from the rear? I typically let my presence be known as soon as possible and let the riders set the stage.
    Yep, that's typically what I do. I usually use my rear hub as a "warning" for any other trail users. If I'm approaching from the back, I'll coast a bit so they can hear I'm coming.

With horses, I'll try and get the rider's attention as early as possible and ask what they want me to do. FYI, I do the same if we are coming in opposite direction.

Just another half mile...
    Bells work really well in this situation. Ding Ding followed by a good Morning or afternoon and then ask if we may pass and then let them find a comfortable and safe spot to pull off the trail. . Received lots of compliments and thanks from equestrians and hikers using the bell when coming up from behind. IMO every MTBer should have a bell to DING DING.

Meatbomb
    I do have a bell but I don't use it when approaching a horse from behind. Next time I'll ask if it's a good way to signal I'm approaching. Hikers get the ding ding every time.

When approaching a horse head on I always stop and step a few feet off the downhill side of the trail and wait for them to pass.

Give it a crank
    You saw a log in the middle of the trail and assumed it was maliciously placed there by either a hiker or equestrian?

You need to ride more, you'll see more, and assume less.

How much further ???
    I was riding once and there was what I thought to be a rock in the middle of the trail but it was really a desert tortoise saboteur. I shook my fist in the air yelling "damn you..... damn you... tortoise" as I rode around him.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast