im4Gsus

slow riders event - friday 2-26

since there's a 70% chance for rain this saturday, i'm doing a c-ride at MMP at 9am. the plan is to ride pemberton ccw to coachwhip and back to pemberton via dixie mine. lots of miles so bring lots of water and some snacks for energy.

a c-level ride is a relaxed, casual ride. we're intermediate xc riders who ride at a slower pace.

any takers?
    Last edited by kaboose; 02-24-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Need more cowbell
    Unless my schedule changes, I will do it.

I was going to go out there Fri afternoon, but the morning works just as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am new to Az and not familiar with the trails. I might be up for it, aprox what will be the total distance of the ride?

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    I am new to Az and not familiar with the trails. I might be up for it, aprox what will be the total distance of the ride?
    20.4 miles

Need more cowbell

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    pemb (ccw) - coachwhip - dixiemine - pemberton = 15.8m

there we'll decide how to get back to parking lot:
    continuing on pemb ccw = 19.4m
    cw to tonto = 21.4m
    cw to bluff/granite = 22.9m
    cw back on pemb = 27.6m

i wonder who'll have the umph for the whole enchilada... oy vey!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am pretty sure I will be there. I usually ride 16-20 miles and die, when riding hard. I have only been biking about 8 months. How technical will these trails be. I have improved quite a bit, but just don't feel like a technically challenging ride right now.

im4Gsus
    rocky, these trails are not technical at all. the first 6½ miles are slightly uphill but flat. the single track on pemberton has little climbs and ondulations. the climb on coachwhip is mild but sustained. the dH sections on both coachwhip and dixie mine are long and rocky but not technical.

however, like i said in the original post, this is a casual pace ride! iow, we don't ride "hard". we're out there to have fun and enjoy the trails, not hammer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That sounds great, I am in decent shape, I have been running a lot, and have done some serious rides, that I was really not ready for, so this will be great for me.

mtbr member
    Hi Kaboose, I have been riding MMP for years,but have yet to try coachwhip or dixie mine.
    So I have a rare Friday off and plan on being there !

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Now I am bummed, good crowd, new folks to meet and I'm down with a strained back. Oh well, next time!! Take some pics, Kaboose.

im4Gsus
    OMG, this ol' lady did the whole enchilada, 28.07 miles!! i haven't ridden that many miles - in one day - for...let's see...ever!! the most i did was 22 about 5 yrs ago. i'm tired but OH SO HAPPY to have gone out today. the weather was perfect, cold/cool, sunny and breeze. the three other riders that came were a perfect match for my 'slow riders' group.

1. tom (sonoran pug) showed up with this MEGA COOL surly bike and let me try it out. what fun it was! no, i'm not going to get one...though it was fun to ride!
    2. mike had a bad crash at the entrance to bluffs. (sorry we laughed "with" you! )
    3. he banged his knee and right hand pretty bad, so he and chris took bluffs/granite back to the car. tom and i continued on pemberton and did the coachwhip-dixie mine loop then came back cw on pemberton all the way around.
    4. proof!

look fwd to riding with y'all again. not 28 miles, though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slow riders event - friday 2-26-01.jpg  

slow riders event - friday 2-26-02.jpg  

slow riders event - friday 2-26-03.jpg  

slow riders event - friday 2-26-04.jpg  

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_dude
    Now I am bummed, good crowd, new folks to meet and I'm down with a strained back. Oh well, next time!! Take some pics, Kaboose.
    well, there were two no shows, but the ones that did come sure have a great time. yup, even mike who crashed LOVED zooming down bluffs/granite.

i'm sorry your back is still out of whack. take good care of it so we can ride next week. the 'slow riders' group is growing!!

ps. i took pics 4 u.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    well, there were two no shows, but the ones that did come sure have a great time. yup, even mike who crashed LOVED zooming down bluffs/granite.

i'm sorry your back is still out of whack. take good care of it so we can ride next week. the 'slow riders' group is growing!!

ps. i took pics 4 u.
    Sorry I couldn't make it out there in time...

Bluff / Granite is a blast! It's my wife's favorite trail. Great job on doing the full-boat ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't know what I was thinking, for some reason I thought it was Sat! I was just going to look up directions to get there. I was getting really excited for a nice casual ride. I am so mad at my self. I couldn't have made it anyway cause of work.

mtbr member
    Kaboose, Thanks again for a great ride. Mike, I hope your hand/knee is not to bad.
    I am looking foward to riding with all of you again soon !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    All right Mike, you're stealing my thunder. Crashing is the ONE thing I did better than anyone else, then YOU show up. Bugger all!! LOL

Hope you're feeling better, some of those take a little longer to shake off then others. Look forward to riding with you guys.

Riding Tues morning, anybody want to join?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Scooter, what time would be riding on TUESDAY? The very earliest I could be around the area would be 9am that is really pushing it though. I would be up for a ride though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Rocky, we hope to ride at 9:30, but we could probably push thast a little to wait for you. It will be in rEast Mesa off of Recker, north of the 202

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    na, I guess I will pass on this ride. I work in Prescott so that would be a lot of driving that day. Thanks anyway, maybe if you do a sat ride sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The worst thing about that crash was that it was flat solid ground, in the middle of a wide area of trail, not moving too fast, and just happened to lock up my front brakes with my left hand as I was gesturing with my right arm and yelling over my shoulder as to which fork in the trail to take...
    Luckily I had folks with me to take photos before they untangled me from the bike
    and of course I'm ready for the next ride my schedule permits!

Members who have read this thread: 0