mtbr member

Slice of humble pie today

So I'm entering my 6th year as a mountain biker, and must say I've been pleasantly surprised with how well I've been riding lately, until today. Finally hit up Go John for the first time, and I haven't felt this newb since my first day out. Took Go John CCW around to Overton. All was well....Until I hit the back/north side of go John. Holy balls is that some techy stuff back there! The steep/loose rocky sections flat out kicked my ass and showed I've got a LOT of learning to do still. My hat is off to anyone that can pedal that whole section. After HAB'ing more than ever, it finally cleared up and I gotta say coming down Overton was a blast!
    Not sure what my point here is, other than it was actually great being humbled and "put in place." I look forward to returning numerous times this year until I can master the back side of Go John, and eventually taking what I've learned down to SoMo. So if you're like me and have hit a skill plateau, step out of your comfort zone and try something different! Nice to have goals for improvement again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Sounds like you're having a great time and earning a new skill level. I couldn't help but see this point of yours and I just had to make it a big deal of it. This is how it should be.

(I've learned down to SoMo. So if you're like me and have hit a skill plateau, step out of your comfort zone and try something different! Nice to have goals for improvement again)

but it's hard to do when you have idiots altering trails so they can feel better about being able to do a section instead of earning it. They will ruin a trail for others just because they won't or can't learn new skills. My helmets off to you for trying something different and creating new goals. Keep on riding.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    ... Took Go John CCW around to Overton. All was well....Until I hit the back/north side of go John. Holy balls is that some techy stuff back there! The steep/loose rocky sections flat out kicked my ass and showed I've got a LOT of learning to do still. My hat is off to anyone that can pedal that whole section. After HAB'ing more than ever, it finally cleared up and I gotta say coming down Overton was a blast!...
    My last ride out there was in Sept 1st. That day the trail kicked my butt badly. I rode it from Maricopa starting in New River and was a 3hr beat down butt kicker. Go-John all seems pretty easy until you get to that tight wash bottom where it gets green and tree covered. Then it gets brutal. Straight up, Steep and lots of rock ledges. For me that is love/hate section. Tough climbing that I love the challenge of trying to clear more and more of it. I never clear the entire though so it always is a bit frustrating. Then there is the down hill part. It is totally rideable on a hardtail, but you have to do it right to get it done. I cleaned it once, but I was on my game that day. Most days for me it is chicken out in the worst 2 spots at top or crash. Of course overton is simply a blast.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah it just got into my head and I started walking stuff I probably could have cleaned. And you will NEVER hear me say they should sanitize things. Keep the techy stuff techy, we've got more than enough smooth crap as it is.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk