mtbr member

Six Shooter Ride Report & Video

What better way to spend an Easter Sunday morning than shredding? tgiles and team pearson's racing were out pinning it as usual, and AZilla joined the ride last minute.

Thought we might get a little snow at the top of the Pinals, but didn't know what we were in for until we drove over the ridge to the north exposure up top. Around 10am we were making tracks in 4 inches of snow pulling into Ferndell. We soldiered on and got'er though. Decided not to pack down any tools due to the conditions. Top part was sketchy slippery, but sooo worth it for the goods.

Trail wasn't clear of snow until after the last climb, aside from one set of footprints. This video takes it from the end of the climb (~6800') down to just above the first creek crossing (~6000'). Forgot to clear my memory card after the last ride, so I only got a small amount of footage. The trail was just starting to get fast and super tacky, so shredable. With the fresh moisture below the snow line it was the best conditions I've ridden on this trail... the melache

There were only a couple of big trees across the trail above the HAB from this last storm. They aren't in real fast downhill spots though. There a was a LOT of deadfall from the creek crossing down to the road. We moved what we could, but plenty of chainsaw work to be done to clear the trail.

Here's some video and pictures from the day.

from Evan on Vimeo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flOw dOwn; 04-14-2009 at 12:05 PM.

dirt visionary
    I am glad we went up Friday and atleast all those burnt areas got snow cover.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Saucy Size
    Oh my that's a lot of snow, still. :-/

p.

dirt visionary
    That just came thru Saturday becuase there was none but a few small patches on Friday.

Saucy Size
    I'll bet a lot of it will melt off this week. OTOH I'm also not seeing any big temp spikes this week. Hm.

p.

Downhill Messiah
    Nice pice and video dude. Yeah, the snow certainly did suck, but as soon as we got out of it, the trail was primo. we need to make another trip up there soon.
    Madspeed always prevails!

dirt visionary
    Hey bro next time we go up I will let you know as we will be ripping a new trail thats not on any maps. This baby is all down with a minor up and oddly there isn't a single switch back .Think of 32nd street in terms of loose stuff and faster than any of the marked trails. In the 3 seasons of riding the pinals this trail is ready to go .

Downhill Messiah
    sounds like fun. i'm always down for new trails. Especially ones with no climbs!!!!

dirt visionary
    Cool it will be in the next 2weeks. I need to get my turner all dialed back in as this really isn't a trail for the sxtrail . Lots of steep steep damn near 45 degree angle stuff and lots of panoramic views.

mtbr member
    Yeah it was a lot of snow, but it seemed like most of it was fresh from the day and night before, and it was getting slushy already that morning. By the time we went back up a lot of it had melted off the road. The soils up there drain pretty well too.

Can't wait to get back up there again, maybe try to get a few shuttles in next time. That other trail sounds like fun. I want to check out Icehouse too, been hearing mixed reviews on it, but it looks like all downhill.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by flOw dOwn

Can't wait to get back up there again, maybe try to get a few shuttles in next time. That other trail sounds like fun. I want to check out Icehouse too, been hearing mixed reviews on it, but it looks like all downhill.

Icehouse is down but slower than sixer and tons of switchbacks

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    hell yea. clock hit me up next time u go hopefully my shoulder will be better.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

dirt visionary
    Will do .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Icehouse is down but slower than sixer and tons of switchbacks
    meh... doesn't sound that exciting. the fast flowy stuff is what makes sixer so much fun IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    hell yea. clock hit me up next time u go hopefully my shoulder will be better.
    Heal them bones and get out there Greff, it's been a while since I've seen you out on the mountain.

Dave
    Would love to learn this area and now is the season right!!! Next time you guys head up please post. I'm a XC rider but want to play out there before it gets too hot. I can flow down the regular trails and not the super steep stuff. I can bring a couple of people to ride with me if you show us the way.

Did you guys shuttle up?
    Dave
    I need to ride more and work less.

dirt visionary
    Yes this is normally done via shuttle but the hardcore xc guys like to pedal up the road then ride down sixshooter.

Dave
    Yes this is normally done via shuttle but the hardcore xc guys like to pedal up the road then ride down sixshooter.
    Thanks man. Evan you need to point your cam just a little higher. Great vid though. GoPro camera?
    Any maps of sixshooter? U2metoo do you have a map of this area?

dirt visionary
    I have tons let me dig up a few for ya.

dirt visionary
    Here's the one I post most.

Saucy Size
    Yeah, that's my last and best version of the Pinal map. Thanks for posting it -- I think I'm gonna link that post in the Visitors sticky as well.

p.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Thanks man. Evan you need to point your cam just a little higher. Great vid though. GoPro camera?
    Any maps of sixshooter?
    Yeah, I usually end up thinking the camera needs to be pointed a little higher. I need to train my brain to tilt the mount up further every time till I get it right. Thanks, it is the 20Twenty VHoldR... it has less wide angle effect (90 degree field I think) than the new GoPro, so getting the camera angle right is key.

I have a Google Earth track of Six Shooter, I can't get it to link, but I think I got it off the Mt. Bike AZ website. The USGS quad is Pinal Peak, but it does't show the trail.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I really got to get up there to shred that mountain again. I got a chainsaw that fits in my backpack that I will haul next time I'm up. Clock is the green trail on your map the new trail? As to Icehouse, I love that trail for the true DH gnar factor. All DH to the bottom. I'm sure that trail needs some love too. I want to get together a shuttle day in the next few weeks. Great write up flowdown!

Sup?
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Any maps of sixshooter? U2metoo do you have a map of this area?
    Dave,

Here is the link to last years post when I put up the GPS data.

Globe/Six Shooter area questions:

[url]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fbbs.keyhole.com%2Fubb%2Fdownload .php%3FNumber%3D1171874&t=k&om=1&ie=UTF8&z=12[/URL/

I only had the upper part of the trail, then bailed at the road due to the
    chainstay breakage incident I had that day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91099

My data from the next time I rode the whole thing was screwed up IIRC.

Definitely will be up for doing this ride again, have some other friends that I
    want to introduce to it! Good stuff.. I'm not into riding up the road myself
    too much work, then I'm too wiped to enjoy the downhill!

My dilemma is that I love to put on all the gear and go bombing down,
    but the tendency to crash is directly proportional to the amount of
    padding I have on my bod ;-)

Plus I show up in hardcore DH gnar, and the other folks are in XC
    gear..? So much for making them feel comfortable about the difficulty
    of the trail! ;-)

The Turner is gonna be a ton of fun up on that Mtn!

Next few weekends are gonna be tight as far as making a trail work
    day, so not sure.. definitely feel the need to contribute though and
    help if I can swing it.

dft
    mtbr member
    curious. i always hear about six shooter, how ae some of the other trails?
    Thanks

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I really got to get up there to shred that mountain again. I got a chainsaw that fits in my backpack that I will haul next time I'm up. Clock is the green trail on your map the new trail? As to Icehouse, I love that trail for the true DH gnar factor. All DH to the bottom. I'm sure that trail needs some love too. I want to get together a shuttle day in the next few weeks. Great write up flowdown!

The green was the old way we used to cut out check damn to head over to kellner to make a shorter trip. Now we go down the road once we hit it and then take a side trail over to the crest of a hill then back down to the shuttle.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    curious. i always hear about six shooter, how ae some of the other trails?
    Thanks
    Go explore and find out for yourself everyone has their own taste. After riding up there for 3 years I still haven't rode it all . There are 6 main trails and info can be found on the tonto forest site and by looking at the map above. Most have only done sixshooter and icehouse. I also know a few xc guys have done kellner in the past.

dft
    mtbr member
    Go explore and find out for yourself everyone has their own taste. After riding up there for 3 years I still haven't rode it all . There are 6 main trails and info can be found on the tonto forest site and by looking at the map above. Most have only done sixshooter and icehouse. I also know a few xc guys have done kellner in the past.
    Thanks! i will indeed explore it sometime, looks like a good place.

I've done the telephone trail with some DH guys. They all b!tched at the amount of uphill, but it really wasn't that bad. Its fun ripping through the manzanita tunnels. It's a killer trail. You could spend a weekend up there and ride them all...as long as you have a shuttle crew.

Saucy Size
    My take on Pinal Mountain:

Kellner is honking tough. Very very tough. Not sure why more DH folks don't do it, other than the fact it's not as much total elevation loss. Very techy and tricky in the first third, wicked-steep on the jeep road portion. Spits you out at the Icehouse CCC campground, therefore near the top of Check Dam. Yay!

Icehouse is the toughest descent, very little used, lots of deadfall to deal with. Once upon a time it was my favorite route down -- ALL DOWN ALL THE TIME. It'll probably end up killing someone someday because of the hidden traps.

Six Shooter is beautiful and flowy and the easiest descent, but it's not all down. You have to climb back up and out of the canyon, which is kind of an unpleasant walk but at least it's pretty short.

Telephone's actually my favorite descent -- it's a mix of Icehouse gnar and Six Shooter steep, and totally bypasses the nasty mid-ride climb on Six. It also gets the most overgrown. Very good ride.

Squaw Spring would be my favorite if it were longer. Right now it's like only 2 miles but it's totally awesome and fast and switchbacky. Then you're faced with climbing up East Mountain across the road, or taking the road down to the top of Tollroad Trail.

Tollroad sort of sucks because of the beginning -- wicked steep HAB out of a rocky stream bed. But once you're out it's so fun. Big sloped-wall slalom run down the mountain, like miles of half-pipe.

p.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

Tollroad sort of sucks because of the beginning -- wicked steep HAB out of a rocky stream bed. But once you're out it's so fun. Big sloped-wall slalom run down the mountain, like miles of half-pipe.

p.
    Oh I gotta get me some of that!!!

mtbr member
    Part of that video with that song made me want to go kill something innocent
    If it scared the wife then chances are it was done correctly.

mtbr member

Kellner is honking tough. Very very tough. Not sure why more DH folks don't do it, other than the fact it's not as much total elevation loss. Very techy and tricky in the first third, wicked-steep on the jeep road portion. Spits you out at the Icehouse CCC campground, therefore near the top of Check Dam. Yay!

Icehouse is the toughest descent, very little used, lots of deadfall to deal with. Once upon a time it was my favorite route down -- ALL DOWN ALL THE TIME. It'll probably end up killing someone someday because of the hidden traps.

Six Shooter is beautiful and flowy and the easiest descent, but it's not all down. You have to climb back up and out of the canyon, which is kind of an unpleasant walk but at least it's pretty short.

Telephone's actually my favorite descent -- it's a mix of Icehouse gnar and Six Shooter steep, and totally bypasses the nasty mid-ride climb on Six. It also gets the most overgrown. Very good ride.

Squaw Spring would be my favorite if it were longer. Right now it's like only 2 miles but it's totally awesome and fast and switchbacky. Then you're faced with climbing up East Mountain across the road, or taking the road down to the top of Tollroad Trail.

p.
    You forgot one of most technical DH of all of the Globe Trails which is EAST MOUNTAIN. This trail is a ***** because you have to hike a bike and climb from the saddle with Pioneer pass at the end of squaw springs heading due East. Lots of deadfall spots, but at the summit you can see all the way to coolidge lake on the San Carlos Reservation. The downhill is seriously steep with super techy tight switchbacks. It's been awhile since I've been down this one but with some maintenance this trail is a true up / down monster.

Also for you guys who are gung ho to carry your chainsaw up and cut down a bunch of trees on public lands be aware that you are breaking some rules, not that I would want to put the damper on some needed trail maintenance but don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

If there is enough people who want to bust out another organized trail maintenance day in the next few weeks like we did last year. I could facilitate with the district to front the tools and equipment like last year. Somebody else would have to step up with logistics as my schedule is pretty booked lately.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGWaVeDave
    Also for you guys who are gung ho to carry your chainsaw up and cut down a bunch of trees on public lands be aware that you are breaking some rules, not that I would want to put the damper on some needed trail maintenance but don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

If there is enough people who want to bust out another organized trail maintenance day in the next few weeks like we did last year. I could facilitate with the district to front the tools and equipment like last year. Somebody else would have to step up with logistics as my schedule is pretty booked lately.

This is why I emailed you regarding having another maintance deal like last years...However if your not going to be there then we wouldn't get to use a chainsaw for downed trees. But I also believe no one has called the Globe ranger office to see if they were going to make a run down the trail to clear dead fall this year.

Elitest thrill junkie

p.
    What he said.

We just need an F-ing tram put in.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Downhill Messiah
    Cool it will be in the next 2weeks. I need to get my turner all dialed back in as this really isn't a trail for the sxtrail . Lots of steep steep damn near 45 degree angle stuff and lots of panoramic views.
    Nice!!!!!!!!! I love steep!:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGWaVeDave
    I sure hope nobody's gonna try to play lumberjack and go falling any of the already scarce living trees out there . But does the fed gov't (or more importantly Globe Ranger District) really mind people cutting out sections of deadfall trees to clear system trails or roads? Don't they have official deadfall harvest days out there for the public or something? The way things are going these days I think Uncle Sam could use a little volunteer work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flOw dOwn
    But does the fed gov't (or more importantly Globe Ranger District) really mind people cutting out sections of deadfall trees to clear system trails or roads? Don't they have official deadfall harvest days out there for the public or something? The way things are going these days I think Uncle Sam could use a little volunteer work.
    It all depends on who you talk to and what personalities you're dealing with. Either you get pulled over by the cop whos wifes divorcing him and he didn't have his coffee this morning; or the one who just finished his jelly donut and successfully hit on the waitress.

I send you a PM about the trail work should know more after today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am with Paul on this one, tough and then some - nice pics and as a guy from Buffalo who has done tons of snow rides in the past, my hat is off to you guys!!!!

Dave

Just how far

Just how far is the uphill ride, I've heard two differnet stories. PaulB says its 18 miles up, another one I read sometime agio was 6 miles up the road. Which is it guys?
    Signed Curious

Saucy Size
    Dude...it's 18 miles up from the staging area on Pinal Road. Promise. I've been doing this ride since 2000.

I have no idea where anyone got 6 miles. Even from Icehouse CCC to Ferndell it's gotta be at least 10.

p.

mtbr member
    Looks like from the bottom of Check Dam up to Ferndell is about 13 mi.

Saucy Size
    Nobody rides UP Check Dam to Ferndell. I mean...I'm sure someone does (Dave Franquero, that's your cue!) but, wow, tough way to go.

p.

Dave
    Dude...it's 18 miles up from the staging area on Pinal Road. Promise. I've been doing this ride since 2000.

I have no idea where anyone got 6 miles. Even from Icehouse CCC to Ferndell it's gotta be at least 10.

p.
    Ok ok I didn't doult you at all. Approx how long is the downhill section (aka the trail in question)?

OT : Of course I won't laugh, said the nurse. I'm a professional. In over twenty years I've never laughed at a patient.' 'Okay then,' said Fred, and he proceeded to drop his trousers, revealing the tiniest 'man-thingy' the nurse had ever seen. Length and width, it couldn't have been bigger than a AAA battery. Unable to control herself, the nurse started giggling, then fell to the floor laughing. Ten minutes later, she was able to struggle to her feet and regain her composure..'I am so sorry,' she said. 'I don't know what came over me. On my honor as a nurse and a lady, I promise it won't happen again. Now, tell me, what seems to be the problem?' 'It's swollen,' Fred replied. She ran out of the room.

mtbr member
    Uhhh, yeah... the 13 mi would be up THE ROAD from the bottom of Check Dam trail to Ferndell, its only about 7 mi on the trail. I wouldn't climb the trail or f'ing road personally, but if I did, I sure wouldn't want to add the extra miles of road riding through Globe both ways.

caninus xerophilous

I bet there are few folks that could.....

Nobody rides UP Check Dam to Ferndell. .....but, wow, tough way to go. p.
    ......do that climb and like it.

I am sure there are some pretty fit climbers out there. I know a few that would snort that for breakfast.

Heck, I've ridden up the bottom half of 6 Shooter and all the way up Check Dam. The bottom half of Shooter was tough, but doable. Check Dam is not a problem.

Being familier with the trail, the top seems attainable. And think, if you do ride up 6 Shooter, you get to DH those two little uphill sections that have far too many riders gasping for air.

But deadfall sucks just as much going up as down. So remember to come out and help with the next organized trail maintenance party out here. Its not just for DH you know.

and you get a medal for being uber burly! If we get a day picked out for trail maintence I'm in (depending on work schedule). I have a feeling the pinals are gonna blow up huge this year!!! Lets get it on!

dirt visionary

p.

Sixshooter is 6 miles long the entire ride to the forest station is more of course. And as you say from the Icehouse ccc to ferdell is more than 6 miles because it more than just sixshooter your using .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Saucy Size
    Wow that's a lot of snow at the rocky overlook. That's more snow further down than I was expecting. Plus weather thats -15F off the average and I think we're looking at a very cold, wet weekend coming up.

Dammit.

p.

Dave

Break out the thermals

Man I just put away my wool stuff after AZSF. Well at least I can still remember where I put'em.
    Maybe the temps on Sat in the 80s here will help to keep frost bite away.

Saucy Size
    ABORT ABORT ABORT

I'm pulling the plug on the 19th. Spread the word. Let's try again in a couple weekends. :-(

p.

Dave
    Why what happened

Dave
    ABORT ABORT ABORT

I'm pulling the plug on the 19th. Spread the word. Let's try again in a couple weekends. :-(

p.
    What's the matter you get cold feet.

mtbr member
    ABORT ABORT ABORT

p.
    Is option B a little BCT?

pedaller
    That'll be a toasty option in the 90s...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Dave
    I just finished talking with PaulB and he gave me the low down on sixshooter. SO I'm still going and probably with my honey if we only get a hill workout that's ok with me. If we should actually make it to 6shooter that would be fantastic. If anyone still wants to go lets do it. Same meeting time if you know the trails, as I don't really. If I see no responses than I will get there at 930 to start earlier.

Thanks Paul for the discussion.
    I'm bringing the camera to show you all what you missed (or didn't)
    Dave

Saucy Size
    Vaya con dios, Dave! I'll send the search and rescue party along in a few days if I don't see those pix.

p.

mtbr member

Dead fall

This is why I emailed you regarding having another maintance deal like last years...However if your not going to be there then we wouldn't get to use a chainsaw for downed trees. But I also believe no one has called the Globe ranger office to see if they were going to make a run down the trail to clear dead fall this year.

Did any one find out if the rangers are going to clean the trails this year or if we can do it are self. Like to know putting together a group to go ride it on May 2 . Im up for a trail maintance day next weekend if we can get it together . Hike down all the way from the top not half way then hike back up that was baddddd.

Let me know and I well see how many peepss I can get together for it.
    JRA

dirt visionary
    Dave is going to find out what he can and get back to me soon. He'll also most likely post up the info also.

Dave
    Vaya con dios, Dave! I'll send the search and rescue party along in a few days if I don't see those pix.

p.

We're back no problem see pics in other thread...

Members who have read this thread: 0