mtbr member
    May 2010

Six Shooter Canyon Trail #197

Hey all.

Quick question. A few of us rode Six Shooter in Globe this weekend, and I'm wondering a few things.

1. When do all those downed logs get removed? is it too early in the season?
    2. I think we missed a turn off towards the end as we ended up by a windmill and an uphill dirt road which lead to telegraph or was it telephone trail, which lead nowhere, and we rode around for 3 miles looking for 197, but couldn't find it, finally ending up on ice canyon road and found our way back to keller where we started.

any suggestions?

here is a link to the ride
    -------------
    jay zarecki

Downhill Messiah
    Definetely too early, here's a linnk to another thread with a little info on what is goin on in the pinals right now. AZ DH Trail Reports

Clockwork is def your man to answer your question about where you went wrong at the end of your ride. He is very familiar with the area up there.
    Madspeed always prevails!

EDR
    You missed a turn, I did the same thing 1st time there. Wandered up some dirt road (to the left and up a short hill) for a few minutes that seemed to be the wrong way. We then turned back and found the we missed a fairly obvious right hand or almost straight path that led down into the wash. It's not too obvious at speed though as we didn't see any actual trail in the rocky creek bed, but that is the way to go. One of the guys with us was there before so he remembered it. You take the creek for a bit then it jumps back out into singletrack IIRC.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    not quite sure where youre talkign though.

we were going along fine, and saw some dead skeletons, etc. and what looked like a large horse pen to the left, and a lake with a dual track going around it that ended up being a dead end. we tracked back and had to go up this dirt road hill deal which is where bumped into the bottom side of the ice house canyon trail CCC spot. about a mile after that or less we saw telephone trail heading away, so we took that up and over a smallriver with barbed wire fence deal. than got lost again.

EDIT: we actually DID take a creek/wash for a bit, this was after the windmill. should we have seen a windmill? we never did see the mine ruins.

even with the wrong turns it was fun.
    -------------
    jay zarecki

EDR
    I can't tell you for sure, my memory of that place is pretty sketchy. I'm not even sure I could ride it today without some backtracking. There are others on here who know those trails like the back of their hands, they'll chime in soon enough.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    agree.
    kinda wished they were better marked like they are further up the trail. perhaps some color ribbons around trees at turns.
    -------------
    jay zarecki

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek920
    1. When do all those downed logs get removed? is it too early in the season?

Why can't we just throw some dirt by them and make them a jump or obstacle?
    Problem solved.

!@#$%&!
    Jumps are a good idea. More jumps!

!@#$%&!
    Jumps are a good idea. More jumps!

There's a couple on 28 that were really fun. Just a few well placed rocks and up and over we went.

I love bike!
    Is there anything blocking the road going up to the top?

dirt visionary
    Sorry man still looking for that map I have with our routes on it to aid my long winded explainantion. Just got home from work so should be able to find it here soon.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

dirt visionary
    Here you go the light blue at the bottom is the way over to kellner canyon dirt road. Cuts time off the shuttle drivers drive plus that section across the road when sixer dumps out is simply no fun and hardly rideable anymore.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    Why can't we just throw some dirt by them and make them a jump or obstacle?
    Problem solved.

Anything built on sixshooter is to be done during the annual trailwork day we do every year. They alow us while in their rangers eyes to add features. However they must NOT interfer with the orginal flow of the trail and must look as close to natures as possible. Every single feature that has been build during the annual trailwork days has survived the seasons and has not been torn down by their trail crews which did other trailwork near some of the features.

We have worked very hard over the last few years on building this lasting relationship with the globe ranger office and so far they like us as a group as a whole . We are in better with the Globe office than we ever were with Mesa and would like to keep it that way . The new building off the side of the mountain out at NRA has gotten Mesa district very upset with the whole thing. Luckily they now know the new stuff has nothing to do with us.

So last thing we need is a bunch of people altering any of the main trails up there. They see tons of non biker use also. If you want to help keep an eye out for the annual trailday which should be in the next few weeks.

Trailwork/camping/shuttles = smiles for the next week afterwards
    Last edited by clockwork; 05-06-2010 at 10:59 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    also note, a 10 - 12 ft berm over a huge downed tree is a bad idea.
    -------------
    jay zarecki

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    Anything built on sixshooter is to be done during the annual trailwork day we do every year. They alow us while in their rangers eyes to add features. However they must NOT interfer with the orginal flow of the trail and must look as close to natures as possible. Every single feature that has been build during the annual trailwork days has survived the seasons and has not been torn down by their trail crews which did other trailwork near some of the features.

We have worked very hard over the last few years on building this lasting relationship with the globe ranger office and so far they like us as a group as a whole . We are in better with the Globe office than we ever were with Mesa and would like to keep it that way . The new rouge building off the side of the mountain out at NRA has gotten Mesa district very upset with the whole thing. Luckily they now know the new stuff has nothing to do with us.

So last thing we need is a bunch of people altering any of the main trails up there. They see tons of non biker use also. If you want to help keep an eye out for the annual trailday which should be in the next few weeks.

Trailwork/camping/shuttles = smiles for the next week afterwards
    It was a joke about the jumps on sixshooter. So calm down
    Second, EVERYTHING built at NRA made them upset. They are not as angry with the new line (which does not have any "structures") as they are the double track jumps going on B line. So watch where you point that finger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek920
    Hey all.

1. When do all those downed logs get removed?

How many trees are we talking?

Last time I came down 6 shootah (November), there was 4 or 5 trees down. I imagine there is a good deal more now. When I XC skied Pinal mt back in January there was probably about a dozen covering the road between tree line and and here, so I was fearing the trail would be a mess.

I might head up there this weekend.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    It was a joke about the jumps on sixshooter. So calm down
    Second, EVERYTHING built at NRA made them upset. They are not as angry with the new line (which does not have any "structures") as they are the double track jumps going on B line. So watch where you point that finger.

You think I can see thru the computer and see your expression to tell you were joking???? What who your taking pot shots at buddy I didn't point the finger at you now did I? They had tolerated what has happened at nra until recently. Do I need to forward you private emails to prove that most recent doings in the last 2 1/2 months have drawn more unwanted attention than the last year?Sorry not going to happen.

Anyways I am not saying I don't think it can can also be mainly attributed to hikers as over the years there seem to be more and more each year all it takes it a few well placed calls for a hiking club like the sierra club to make the FS take action. Any ways lets continue this in a pm as this isn't the place.