Poll: How low will you go?

Elitest thrill junkie

Single Digit Temps: What is your Freezing Point?

Time to cool it down (cause summer is heating up). The lowest temps that I consistantly ride around around 15 degrees F. The extremities become a little problamatic, at least in terms of the shoes, so great care must be taken to ensure enough insulation from the pedal/cleat, while leaving enough air-pockets for warmth. I did go riding a few times when it was more like 5 or slightly lower in certain parts, and it was just too damn cold. It's not that you just can't ride in it, it's just so hard to choose the right clothing that provides enough insulation, yet breathes enough. Once you get things a little moist, you're screwed when you slow down and your extremities chill off a little bit. It's hard and next to impossible to recover from that sometimes, as Bear Grills points out repeatedly. In any case, temperatures around freezing don't bother me as long as I have the right gloves, socks and shoes. The sun can make things seem a good deal hotter than they are, while overcast and blowing snow/wind can make it seem a lot colder.
    Last edited by Jayem; 06-24-2009 at 06:53 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I road my sportbike up to Flag one New Years eve morning so I could ride to Vegas with my friends. Worst effin chill ever. It was 8 deg when I finaly rolled into town. Had a sweet case of hypothermia setting in.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

just 1 more
    Back in Pa we'd ride down to 10 deg. if it wasn't blowing or the snow was too deep. J-em is correct about getting the layers right or suffering. I had to wear insulated hiking boots and lobster claw mitts due to poor circulation in the extremities. (One reason we now live in beeuuteeful Az) Here I'm not inclined to ride if it's under 50, which means before lunch in Cottonwood. We didn't move to Arizona to ride cold.

Don't even think of inviting me to ride over there at Preskitt if there's even a hint of snow.

mtbr member
    I worked two winter seasons as a bike courrier in Chicago. There were days that it was 10 below zero, freezing rain days, snow up to your knees days and I swear there were days that changed among the previous by the hour.
    I spent most of my earnings on warm weather gear those months. traditional skiiing and riding gear could not wothstand more than a month or two of the salt and repeat saturation. plastic bags became the more reliable way to keep feet and hands dry.
    I think that job is one of the reasons I love living AZ. The experience was totally worth it though.

mtbr member
    Last coldest ride I did was 37 in Austin and that was not pleasant!

When it hits 60, I'm searching for my arm warmers and doubling up on the jersey.

55 has me in leg warmers too.

Of course, as soon as the riding starts getting vigorous, the stripping starts, sans "The Stripper" music.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Once it's below 20 I find it impossible to keep my feet warm in cycling shoes. If I lived somewhere that got that cold regularly I'd investigate winter shoe options. For the moment, I just go skiing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    After riding in the CO high country for two years and dealing with snow in August, and then the Pacific Northwest where it doesn't get all that cold, but is very wet, and now here in Flagstaff where temps drop into the single digits several times during the winter with a fair amount of snow...

I'd have to say that I'll ride in just about anything for my commute.

For fun, 25 deg and/or not raining is about the limit.

mtbr member
    Last spring we were riding at about 26 degrees and it was freaking freezing. If I had the right clothing it would have been better, but I just started so I didn't have anything yet.
    --'07 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er
    --'08 GT Peace 9r SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Being from Buffalo and having lived in Minnesota, not much slows me down but have ridden in 15 degrees, maybe cooler, but we are talking short rides and NO wind. I moved to Arizona to get away from that sh%t!!!

mtbr member
    I grew up in northern Vermont.
    My parent's told me it hit 52 below zero one Christmas.
    I remember it hitting 45 below one winter.

I like the heat now. Screw anything below 60 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Back in Pa we'd ride down to 10 deg. if it wasn't blowing or the snow was too deep. J-em is correct about getting the layers right or suffering. I had to wear insulated hiking boots and lobster claw mitts due to poor circulation in the extremities. (One reason we now live in beeuuteeful Az) Here I'm not inclined to ride if it's under 50, which means before lunch in Cottonwood. We didn't move to Arizona to ride cold.

Don't even think of inviting me to ride over there at Preskitt if there's even a hint of snow.

Gotta agree here. Having moved from SE Pa last year, I'm not interested in freezing my ass off anymore. Teens was the lowest I did, and it wasn't fun. Nothing tests your detemination like heading out on a night ride in sub freezing temps. My insulated shoes and heavy duty gloves are just gathering dust now - good riddance to them. However, I do miss the snow rides. 4-6 inches of powder is great fun to ride in. Although, the sand out at Pima/Dynamite has almost the same characteristics (lack of traction) as snow.

mtbr member
    Anything below 90, and I do all my training on the stationary.

I did 10 miles yesterday at 5:30 P.M. and I honestly don't think I even broke a sweat.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I remember going out on one ride a few years ago when it was around zero, possibly less in the hills, and man that was a bad idea. I kept having to hit my hands against stuff to get the blood flowing again. It kind of sucks when you get out there and decide: This isn't going to work.

On the other hand, with a full-face helmet and all sorts of gear, I get out all year round and riding in the snow is some of the funnest riding. Either a few inches of powder or even the packed stuff on trail forty. There was more than a foot of snow, but the trail was packed down...and it was ridable. I've been on rides and stopped at Granite Basin lake to walk across the lake. The only drag about the winter riding is that it blocks off Flagstaff. Other than that, I love the variety we get. It seemed like this last winter was more of a muddy mess than usual, as if there was less freezing of the ground.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Below 25 and I am not going out. Around 30, and it must be sunny. Like Ions mentioned, I only ride with shoes, and I would rather go boarding than have to find cold weather gear for riding. All my cold weather riding is in Flag/Sedona during winter months, and randomly outside of Chicago. Phoenix Boy - Born n Raised - No cold for me.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night