mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sierra Vista Sixty Miler

Last Sunday was my birthday, so to celebrate a buddy and I went out and rode some of our favorite trails in the Huachucas. Nine hours on the bike with sixty miles covered. All in all a great way to spend the day. I tried posting a few of the better photos here as attatchments, but it's not working for some reason(probably user error). Anyways, here's a link to an online album. Enjoy.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=1QbM27Nm2YuTg
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Some killer pics. I was curious where those trails were? Me and a few guys are in Sierra Vista for a few months, actually leave here in about two, and have have logged serious miles over on and Brown and Carr Canyon, and have been to Fantasy Island a handful of times. If I remeber correctly, that cabin looks like its up on Garden Canyon...and directions would be great. Thanks for the help.

Z

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The first few photos are of a trail that links Brown Canyon to Garden. From the water trough take the trail that connects over to the Fort, then at the take-down gate make a left and go up a steep dirt road(the three *****es) for about a half mile. You'll see a trail leading off to your right, which started out as an illegal immigrant trail, but will now take you all the way out to Garden Canyon, just follow the tire tracks.

The photos after the Boyscout Cabin are Sawmill Canyon. Go left at the cabin, then a quarter mile up the road make a right past a cable gate. You'll come to a steep section of single track at the end of the canyon. Hike-a-bike for about a half mile or so and you meet up with Crest Trail which you can take to the north back to Gate 7.

The rest of that ride is all on the back side of the mountains including Brushy Canyon, the AZT, and sometimes we throw in a spin around Parker Lake, and usually stop at the store to get water and snacks. A guide is reccomended your first time back there, if you get off the main roads some of the trails start off good, but then end up going straight up or down crazy washes,etc. You just need to be willing to look around and get lost a little to find the good stuff. Good luck.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!