Mommy's Little Monster

Show Low / Pinetop-Lakeside

Hey all,
    Anyone going to be in the Show Low / Pinetop-Lakeside area for the 4th of July Weekend? Looking to hit up up some of the local White Mountain trails and wanted to know if anyone else was down? I'm a moderate rider eazing back into things after some time off from the game. Need to get out of this Phoenix heat. I'm assumming the trails are open since there's been some rain up there from what I heard.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Some of the trails are still closed, but there is still great riding on the trails that are open

EDR

Re: Show Low / Pinetop-Lakeside

we're here now. Just rode Los Burros with my son. What a disappointment that trail has become. Anyhow not sure if I'll get any more rides in.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Why was Los Burros a disappointment? Was there some forest thinning going on up there or is the trail just not kept up? Haven't been there in 2 years.

I'm planning on riding on Saturday and Sunday if the trails are open. Pretty bummed that Sunrise is doing the archery thing this weekend.....oh well.

mtbr member
    I've heard from multiple people that Los Burros was trashed by a thinning project in some areas but I haven't ridden that trail in years so I don't know how it looks.

I highly recommend going to Cycle Mania and see if you can get someone to show you the Secret Trails. It is a really fun trail system with many miles of trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    secret trails may still be closed, but i am not sure. best bet is like the above said, call or visit cyclemania. i will be up there sat. and sun. i will probably ride a combo of spring/blue ridge/country club. give me a call if you would like. my name is bret email me and i will give you my number if you want to ride, rteirish@gmail.com

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by emayaz View Post
    Why was Los Burros a disappointment? ..
    Logging. Nearly the entire length of the trail or so it seems anyway. That place has really lost its charm for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Logging. Nearly the entire length of the trail or so it seems anyway. That place has really lost its charm for me.
    from this statement, I assume you did the lower loop with the shortcut... If that is not true "nearly the entire length of trial" is a gross exaggeration...

With that assumption, I reccomend doing the upper loop (with the shortcut)
    Hiking Trail - Los Burros (#631)

That way you avoid the thinning operation altogether...

I did the entire loop and I did not find the thinning opearion to be a big deal... Maybe it's because I look upon the logging as a necessity to the forest... I don't know, the trail was navigable to me... But, most riders don't like it... I am unusual....
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

white mountains

WM closures...

Link to map of forest closures:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5424731.pdf

That means Sp, BR, LosBur, and Pioneer are open. All the rest are closed. Our rain was not enough to open any others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Low / Pinetop-Lakeside-white_mtn_trails_map_lg.jpg  

white mountains
    Closure map on last page of pdf...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WM-Rider View Post
    Link to map of forest closures:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5424731.pdf

That means Sp, BR, LosBur, and Pioneer are open. All the rest are closed. Our rain was not enough to open any others.
    Very nicely detailed... thanks !

white mountains
    Forgot this one...

I did ride Ghost of the Coyotes outside Linden. It's open. Tough ride but fun.

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    from this statement, I assume you did the lower loop with the shortcut... ....
    We did the entire loop. We were able to navigate just fine but that doesn't make it a good trail.

I'm just bummed....it used to be my favorite place to ride when I'm in pine top. It was just beautiful and a real pleasure to just make my way around the loop. Now much of it is full of bald spot after bald spot after bald spot. The racers still seem to love it but I'm more of an outdoor enthusiast and find the whole thing kina blah now.

Depressing really. Oh well. I'll get over it.

mtbr member
    I went thru most of Los Burros last weekend, it was my first time there but I thought it was just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    We did the entire loop. We were able to navigate just fine but that doesn't make it a good trail.

I'm just bummed....it used to be my favorite place to ride when I'm in pine top. It was just beautiful and a real pleasure to just make my way around the loop. Now much of it is full of bald spot after bald spot after bald spot. The racers still seem to love it but I'm more of an outdoor enthusiast and find the whole thing kina blah now. Depressing really. Oh well. I'll get over it.
    If you are referring to how chewed up the trail is, I can understand now... A lot of silty spots from a lot of usage (possibly during wet conditions).... That doesnt bother me too much, But I do understand where you are coming from...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    By next summer Los Burros will look better, its just in the ugly phase right now. The thinning is winding down and it needs a little time to recover

EDR

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine85929 View Post
    By next summer Los Burros will look better, its just in the ugly phase right now. The thinning is winding down and it needs a little time to recover
    Yeah I'm sure you're right. It's just kind of an eyesore compared to what it used to be. I guess I'm just a mountain bike romantic, haha. Anyhow it's been raining each day up here for the past few days and I encourage all of you to come up to enjoy the weather. Although most of these trails are pretty nasty right after rain. Give it some time before riding.

Mommy's Little Monster
    Some nice overnight rain up here cooled things off and will hopefully pack the trails down a little. Not quite the heavy storms I was hoping for, but any rain up here helps.

Might have to give Los Burros a go before the weekend is over.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Just rode LB this past Friday. A little goopy at the bottom by the logging but once up top it was super awesome Velcro! Don't think I've gone That fast ever. Trail was easy to follow, super quiet and challenging in spots. Plus the bobsled DH portoins made it worth it!

mtbr member
    How long will the trails take to dry out from this weekends rains?
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

white mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjustin007 View Post
    How long will the trails take to dry out from this weekends rains?
    It drys up pretty quick. I got back around 11 this morning and the trails were nice. There was a puddle here and there but by the time I headed back they were gone. IMO... stick with the mornings and usually you're OK.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    if Mr Rey, the trials MTBer, ever shoots a video up there,, it could be called 'Hans Show-low"

white mountains

Forest Opened

The National Forest has rescinded the closing order. It's now open...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5427145.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow didn't think we got that much rain.