mtbr member

Show Low Bluff Tour of the White Mountains 2010

Anybody out there signed up to compete in this event? Looks like it is coming right up on October 2nd. I just signed up for the 35 miler and would like to hear from anybody that has done the event in the past. Hopefully good singletrack?? Any technical, smooth, rocky, etc..? I have never ridden this area, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Thx!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie
    Anybody out there signed up to compete in this event? Looks like it is coming right up on October 2nd. I just signed up for the 35 miler and would like to hear from anybody that has done the event in the past. Hopefully good singletrack?? Any technical, smooth, rocky, etc..? I have never ridden this area, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. Thx!

Not very technical , mix of forest circus roads and single track , a bit rocky in a couple of sections .

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm very sad that I wont be racing TOWM this year. I will be back for 2011 though!

I've raced the longer version the last two years and its my favorite race in Arizona. The course is very fun and includes a bit of everything. The tech sections are not very technical. I wasn't off my bike much from what I can remember and I dont take the technical rider award in any way. The climbs are fairly mellow, all rideable except when you get to the hike a bike, but I think thats only on the longer course, someone correct me here if I'm wrong. I think overall the course has a really good flow to it.

The only concern really is rain. The mud turns to peanut butter and you'll be pretty miserable. If its dry, you'll have a a great time!!

Need more cowbell
    We did the pre-ride this past weekend, and overall the trails are in great shape. The 35 mile route has some rocky areas, but overall is pretty fast. You have to watch yourself on some areas of the Blue Ridge Trail.

mtbr member
    I'm signed up for the 35 this year. I did it for the first time last year and had a blast. The trails are great except for the giant ass pounding on my hard-tail going down Ice Caves. I went into a murderous rage after that section.

Hey WOD, maybe we will find each other again this year if you remember me!

Need more cowbell
    Yep.....you still on the hard tail? I will be at the Barn Burner this weekend if you are going up.

mtbr member
    Yeah, still got the same ole 29er hard tail.

I would try the Barn Burner but honestly, I've been out of the saddle for a few months. Had a lot of things going on this summer and we just recently moved to a new house too! I need to fix my ghetto tubeless and bleed out my brake lines so I can start getting some miles in before the ToWM.

mtbr member
    I just signed up for TOWM. I did it last year. 35 mile SS, same this year. the course is as everyone described, mix of fire-road and single track. it is very fun.

they cleaned up "ice house" before last year, so it's not as bad as it was in years past. My best friend, riding rigid SS was filled with dread about this section approaching based on past memories (nightmares). It almost pained me to break it to her that we'd already ridden through and had finished Ice house. She didn't believe for for the next few miles. =)
    b

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the good information...I'll see you all there. I'm riding a black Specialized Stumpy FSR.