Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,751

    Should you get a free lift ticket for doing trailwork...?

    Discuss..

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    There shouldn't be any lifts around areas that need trail work completed. Pinals, Mingus, Eldon, those places need trail work done because they are basically wilderness trails and $h@t happens in the wild...

    Telluride has a free bike park, guess how much trail work I put in for a lift ticket? 0 hours and I rode as many runs as I could fit in. They hired 2 people to maintain and build trails for the Mountain Village Bike Park.

    So no, you should not get free lift tickets if you do trail work...according to the 30+ workers that put in time on Sunrise last memorial day weekend and didn't get to ride AT ALL.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    151
    I used to help out at Diablo in Jersey, and when we did trail work back in the day they would hook us up with free passes

  4. #4
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,416
    I think a grilled cheese sandwich should suffice.

  5. #5
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger

    Telluride has a free bike park, guess how much trail work I put in for a lift ticket? 0 hours and I rode as many runs as I could fit in. They hired 2 people to maintain and build trails for the Mountain Village Bike Park.

    .
    Hey bud,
    I'm heading there in a few weeks. could you give me the scoop on riding at the resort? Any other good info on the area (hikes, biking, food) would be greatly appreciated too. i'm thinking to bring my 6inch AM bike and my 29er XC. been there once and camped in Town Park, did a few good hikes up past Bridal Falls, Hope Lake and some easier trail right in town. Baked in Tride was a nice bakery. thank you.

  6. #6
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I think a grilled cheese sandwich should suffice.
    good stinky cheese, or some of that velveta crap?

  7. #7
    ride more, blog less
    Reputation: GnarHammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    288
    ...gouda.... and lift tickets shouldn't be the driving force for trail work to be done, riding the trails is payment enough! but it i'm not saying i wouldn't work for a lift ticket, that would be mighty nice, but again, not necessary.
    i like these odds....

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Hey bud,
    I'm heading there in a few weeks. could you give me the scoop on riding at the resort? Any other good info on the area (hikes, biking, food) would be greatly appreciated too. i'm thinking to bring my 6inch AM bike and my 29er XC. been there once and camped in Town Park, did a few good hikes up past Bridal Falls, Hope Lake and some easier trail right in town. Baked in Tride was a nice bakery. thank you.
    Take the gondola up from town or Mountain Village and you will find the bike park trails on a big map. They shouldn't be too bad on a 6in bike. The trails are not as buff as others though...

    Make sure to hike your butt up to Wasatch Connector!! I cannot stress how awesome that trail is!!! The hike is a b@tch though, totally worth it.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarHammer
    ...gouda.... and lift tickets shouldn't be the driving force for trail work to be done, riding the trails is payment enough! but it i'm not saying i wouldn't work for a lift ticket, that would be mighty nice, but again, not necessary.
    I'd rather pay the fee and then ride all day

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    284
    I think a one day pass should be within reach of the park owners to give out for trail work. Lets not get too greedy now. If you fix a trail you should be able to ride it for free, for at least a fw hours(half day pass)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    983
    If you do trail work on a mountain where people pay to ride and they probably have a trail crew. FOR SURE they should give you a lift ticket. $40 or so for free labour for a day? That's a deal for them!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Another thread to add to the recent FAIL on this board...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    OK... should you get a free lift pass if you are doing trail work and chop someone's face off with a McCloud?

  14. #14
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Take the gondola up from town or Mountain Village and you will find the bike park trails on a big map. They shouldn't be too bad on a 6in bike. The trails are not as buff as others though...

    Make sure to hike your butt up to Wasatch Connector!! I cannot stress how awesome that trail is!!! The hike is a b@tch though, totally worth it.
    OMFG!!!! they have a new bike park that goes down into town!!! I can take runs while my kids ride the gondola and hit some of the amazing playgrounds up there. they didn't have that last time we were there. i think i just...oh yeah, i did...i need a tissue

    wrt the Wasatch Connector - you hiked up See Forever, then came back? or did you ride Wasatch Connector off the backside and back into town? the big loop sounds awesome but an all-day thing and probably should not do alone. the plan is for my wife and i to take turns with the bikes and kids, and the bike park and some mtn top stuff seems perfect for that! thanks again for the info.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    OMFG!!!! they have a new bike park that goes down into town!!! I can take runs while my kids ride the gondola and hit some of the amazing playgrounds up there. they didn't have that last time we were there. i think i just...oh yeah, i did...i need a tissue

    wrt the Wasatch Connector - you hiked up See Forever, then came back? or did you ride Wasatch Connector off the backside and back into town? the big loop sounds awesome but an all-day thing and probably should not do alone. the plan is for my wife and i to take turns with the bikes and kids, and the bike park and some mtn top stuff seems perfect for that! thanks again for the info.
    The trails going into Telluride are shut down to bikes.

    Please do take the Wasatch Connector off the backside. You will end up 2 blocks away from the gondola when you are done. It isn't an all day thing as long as you don't dilly dally on the hike. The actual ride down was not very long, considering that you drop 5k.You could do it alone, it is easier than Holbert.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kubo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    774
    People do trail work all the time without a free pass to the top...

    What the difference in doing trail work on Mingus or Six-shooter then paying for the gas for shuttles than doing trail work on Sunrise then paying for a lift?


    Im-juss-sayin

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    People do trail work all the time without a free pass to the top...

    What the difference in doing trail work on Mingus or Six-shooter then paying for the gas for shuttles than doing trail work on Sunrise then paying for a lift?


    Im-juss-sayin
    Huge difference... Clock works with the forest service and they COMPLIMENT the work that we have done by adding features to waterbars, removing larger logs, and basically being open to letting us get in there and making the trails usable for everybody.

    Sunrise craps on our cornflakes and shuts down the entire mountain on a whim.

  18. #18
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    The trails going into Telluride are shut down to bikes.

    Please do take the Wasatch Connector off the backside. You will end up 2 blocks away from the gondola when you are done. It isn't an all day thing as long as you don't dilly dally on the hike. The actual ride down was not very long, considering that you drop 5k.You could do it alone, it is easier than Holbert.
    shweet - it ends up on Bear Creek right? I hiked that up a few miles with kids, so know where it ends. hearing its easier than Holbert is reassuring, I'm pretty good usually about going small when I'm alone. Maybe I can convince my wife and kids to do part of See Forever w. me, then they hang at the village while i do the loop. thank again this is awesome beta!

    ps: i meant the bike park goes into Mtn. Village (or whatever its called) where there are playgrounds and stuff, but still up on the mtn. we had hiked a trail down into the other side of the mtn and saw bikes on it - flowy and buff in the wood, then a long flat hike back to Tride - bet my wife would do that one so we could both get our fix!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    OK... should you get a free lift pass if you are doing trail work and chop someone's face off with a McCloud?
    You should get a free ticket, a pat on the back, ice cream and cookies if you do that.

    Minus the trail work.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    shweet - it ends up on Bear Creek right? I hiked that up a few miles with kids, so know where it ends. hearing its easier than Holbert is reassuring, I'm pretty good usually about going small when I'm alone. Maybe I can convince my wife and kids to do part of See Forever w. me, then they hang at the village while i do the loop. thank again this is awesome beta!
    Yep, Bear Creek. There are a few trail intersections, but we just made a point to keep going left down the valley towards town and we made it perfectly safe.

    The upper section is nice and rocky, it looks really loose, but is actually pretty primo. The grade is very well done as none of the sections are too hot to handle. Some tricky switchbacks, but all doable. After you get past the giant pile of old wreckage, the trail gets a little gnarly for a tiny bit ( I walked some of it as I didn't ever see it before...) but after that you will be in awesome dirt zig zaging down the mt. BEST TRAIL I have had the opportunity to ride. It had everything minus real freeride stunts. Take your time and enjoy the solitude and you will be fine.

    And yes, the bike park goes into Mt Village. I love Telluride, I want to go back.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Yep, Bear Creek. There are a few trail intersections, but we just made a point to keep going left down the valley towards town and we made it perfectly safe.

    The upper section is nice and rocky, it looks really loose, but is actually pretty primo. The grade is very well done as none of the sections are too hot to handle. Some tricky switchbacks, but all doable. After you get past the giant pile of old wreckage, the trail gets a little gnarly for a tiny bit ( I walked some of it as I didn't ever see it before...) but after that you will be in awesome dirt zig zaging down the mt. BEST TRAIL I have had the opportunity to ride. It had everything minus real freeride stunts. Take your time and enjoy the solitude and you will be fine.

    And yes, the bike park goes into Mt Village. I love Telluride, I want to go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  22. #22
    Wait for me!
    Reputation: whoopwhoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    672
    I think so, a few rides up the chairlift pales in comparison to what I would charge a client at work for half a days labor. OR........ increase ticket prices and have designated staff maintain trails and build features(qualified staff that is) The reason I pay what I do to snowboard in the winter is because I don't have to groom trails or maintain the park. Same should be the case in the summer.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: cesslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop
    I think so, a few rides up the chairlift pales in comparison to what I would charge a client at work for half a days labor. OR........ increase ticket prices and have designated staff maintain trails and build features(qualified staff that is) The reason I pay what I do to snowboard in the winter is because I don't have to groom trails or maintain the park. Same should be the case in the summer.

    QFT!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,748
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    QFT!!
    Stop being helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

  25. #25
    Wait for me!
    Reputation: whoopwhoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    QFT!!
    Word, I had to google QFT. I'm such a noob. LOL, ROFL, FTW......anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •