mtbr member

Shorts for endurance riding

So I had a few comments about the condition of my shorts last time I rode with a group. Upon further inspection, I noticed that a few of my shorts are getting pretty raggedy. Yeah, the holes help with ventilation, but I think it is time to add another pair to the collection.

I'd like to get a good pair of shorts that are comfortable for those all day rides (like over 6 hours). I'm not willing to throw down the coin for $200 Assos shorts - just don't think they are worth it. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to go to, or over, $100 for something good.

So, endurance riders, what are your go-to shorts for those big rides? Oh, and I'm just not interested in baggies - too much weight.

--Jeff

Give it a crank
    I have yet to ride your kind of long rides so I can't speak for 6+ hour rides, but I did find some shorts I really like. Compared to more expensive shorts I've had, I find these a perfect fit, tougher when they hit the ground and snag on cactus, with a comfy shammy, good quality, and at a great price. Much better than I had expected when ordering.

Nashbar Isolation Shorts for under $25
    Nashbar Isolation Shorts - Lycra Cycling Short

Looking for drawbacks, the only one I can find is the fabric isn't as stretchy as found on thinner lycra shorts. Getting the right size is key, don't go small or you won't be getting in them. They do feel perfect while riding, cool off nicely, don't slide up your legs, and are just plain comfortable.

All I gotta do now is get one of those cool AZT jerseys of yours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Smartwool Rambition shorts have done me right in past endurance rides and bikepacking trips. Wool is a necessity for bikepackers in my opinion, especially when you know you'll be wearing the same pair of shorts for a few days. From a brief internet search, I'm not finding any in medium, although you may have better luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I gotta do now is get one of those cool AZT jerseys of yours!
    yeah, Nancy keeps talking about doing a reorder. However we have to commit to buying 15 jerseys. It may happen, but not this month.

My other ride is your mom
    I know it's hard to think winter....but I LURVE my Ibex wool knickers....they keep my knees warm with a windproof patch, comfy, good chamois and weather the several day, no wash scenario:

Men's El Fito 3/4 | Ibex Outdoor Clothing Merino Wool Knickers

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of Pearl Pros on Ebay for $100 shipped. New with tags (retail is close to $150). Wore those both days of the recent bikepack and was really happy with them.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    Smartwool Rambition shorts have done me right in past endurance rides and bikepacking trips. Wool is a necessity for bikepackers in my opinion, especially when you know you'll be wearing the same pair of shorts for a few days. From a brief internet search, I'm not finding any in medium, although you may have better luck.
    2 M's in stock here

Thanks for this thread & ideas, I need to supplement my baggies with some wool for the multi-day outings.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    2 M's in stock here

Thanks for this thread & ideas, I need to supplement my baggies with some wool for the multi-day outings.
    I've always heard good things about wool riding gear, but have never gone there. I think it is time to give it a whirl.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    I just bought a set of Pearl Pros on Ebay for $100 shipped. New with tags (retail is close to $150). Wore those both days of the recent bikepack and was really happy with them.
    I'll second the Pearl Pros. You can find them on Amazon at good prices too sometimes. I also have the Pearl Elites, which have a thicker and vented chamois. What I found is that the chamois on the Elites are prone to much more chafing (maybe from the tiny venting holes?) on long rides. I stick to the Pros for longer rides now. They are snugger (maybe assuming a pro biker physique?), so less bunching, less padded and smoother chamois ends up better for the longer rides. The Elites are fine for an hour or two. I also scored some Hincapie Emergence shorts on sale and I use those for longer rides as well. You probably already wear them, but I'll suggest bibs just in case. I haven't worn anything else for the past year, so nice.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm glad you finally realized you looked like a homeless guy on Saturday.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    I think of wool shorts and I think of boiled nuts in the Phoenix heat. So what is the deal with wool, is it just no smell issue?

Ahhh the pain....
    I've ridden in a merino wool underlayer for 4 days straight w/o washing and it still didnt stink. One day in anything synthetic and I can hardly stand my own stink. Not sure how durable wool is for shorts though...they take such abuse.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

Got a suspension fork
    Why do some MTB guys insist on wearing roadie sausage fest shorts? Get some baggies on boys.

Zoic Ether Premium shorts have been great and are affordable.

Now that I got that off my chest… Wool kicks ass. I wear two layers of wool socks year round and it couldn't be more comfy or less stinky. Used to wear a thin wool base layer too but I destroyed it as it was too fragile.

Those wool roadie shorts do look pretty nice.

btw - I picked up a pair of these babies for winter rides, can't wait! True knee high Woolie Boolie socks by DeFeet.

Woolie Boolie Knee high wool sock
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

have dudes in lycra caused something like this to happen to you Randy?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post

haha, I like it.

Nah, I just go with what seems right. Lycra road and baggie mtb. Though I do think the dual layer of inner liner and external shell makes baggies super comfy for the longer rides.

Ahhh the pain....
    Put those baggies on a scale.... You'll realize carrying that extra pound over a 5-8 hour ride really adds up.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Put those baggies on a scale.... You'll realize carrying that extra pound over a 5-8 hour ride really adds up.
    Worth it to not look like a roadie.

I'd have to weigh myself fully loaded up for a 5 hour ride including water bottles, but my guess is that 1 pound extra from my baggies is around a 0.5% difference in non-bike weight. I just can't get overly worked up over that. It's far from my biggest hinderance.

Ahhh the pain....
    Then why do you worry so much about whether your bike is 23 or 30lbs? From a percentage standpoint, it's only a few percent.
    Most endurance folks would kill to reduce their overall(bike+gear+you) weight by a pound. Worse yet, as a single speeder, every time you get out of the saddle you lift that pound up about a foot. Do that several hundred times over a 12 hour ride and it starts to add up!

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Then why do you worry so much about whether your bike is 23 or 30lbs? From a percentage standpoint, it's only a few percent.
    Most endurance folks would kill to reduce their overall(bike+gear+you) weight by a pound. Worse yet, as a single speeder, every time you get out of the saddle you lift that pound up about a foot. Do that several hundred times over a 12 hour ride and it starts to add up!
    I'm just not a Bike Häus roadie kit riding MTB dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Give it a crank
    Here's what percentages are in a race:

rider wearing lycra + bike + gear = 170 + 30 + 10 = 210 lbs.
    rider wearing baggies + bike + gear = 171 + 30 + 10 = 211 lbs.
    which means baggies increase overall weight by 0.476%

In a 50-mile race, 0.476% is 1257 feet, just under 1/4 mile.
    That means the rider in baggies will be looking at the rider in lycra crossing the finish line from 1/4 mile away.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=randyharris;10606185]Why do some MTB guys insist on wearing roadie sausage fest shorts? Get some baggies on boys.
    /QUOTE]

Ha. I'm the last person to go "roadie style". As Ray pointed out, I tend toward a more dirtbag look. Perhaps it is because baggies weren't a "thing" when I started MTBing in the 80s that I just never used them.

Picked a pair up earlier this year to see what that is all about. At the end of the day they are hotter and snag on the saddle easier. And the ones I got don't even have pockets. I fail to see any advantage.