Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Short stem test near S. Mtn?

886 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SiO2 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been running a really wide handlebar on my Enduro Evo (XL frame) with the stock 90mm stem. I'm curious how a 50-60mm stem would feel/handle. I don't know what angle I want or if I would even like the shorter length. I attempted to find a Specialized Pro Set II 60mm stem so I could try different angles, but that length is hard to come by. Does anyone have a short stem for a 1-1/8" steerer and 31.8mm bar with some rise that I could try?

#3 ·
National is my favorite trail! ;) Actually I haven't been riding enough lately so haven't been up and down that one in a while. The bike feels about right and I can get through most of that trail with confidence. I think the shorter stem would help even a little more. Especially with the wide bars.

#6 ·
I know it's the hot setup and that it would likely improve handling, especially going down. I'm just not sure how short I can comfortably go and how much rise I can lose (I see a lot of stems with 0 degree rise). That's why I want to test before I spend $50-100 on a stem. I plan to stick the 90mm stem on a Stumpjumper that has about a 110mm stem on now. I put a 780mm bar on the Evo quite a while ago.

#7 ·
How tall are you? I'm 6'4.5" and run a 0 degree 80 mm stem and 780 bars on my XL mojo HD. The HDs have relatively short top tubes compared to other bikes (24.6" on XL). I think the enduros have much longer top tubes. Depending on your height, you could probably get away with stem much shorter than 90mm.

For me on my HD, I've found the shorter stem makes technical downhills much easier. But my front end wanders a bit more on technical up hills. I like the trade off.

I ride PMP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.