Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Short Hangover Trail Video

just spent a week out in Sedona and hit the big 3 (hangover, hiline and hogs) along with some others, and so far have got Hangover trail footage into a quick edit.

Amazing place to ride. Can't wait to come back.

mtbr member
    great vid thanks for posting. that would be an awesomer trail if it had some exposure
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

shred my gnar
    its always nice to watch these h.o. vids so i can look right. dont do that much while riding it! next time you gotta drop the saddle... way easier than it looks and it immediately turns the inner-jedi on high.

no offense, but that was one of the most terrible-ist soundtracks i think ive heard for a mountain bike video. nothing gets me fired-up to shred quite like an angst ridden teen yelling over synthesized muzac!

Closekids.com
    Can't wait to see the rest!
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Made my hands all sweaty just watching it...next time I'll wear bike gloves.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

Carnivore
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    its always nice to watch these h.o. vids so i can look right. dont do that much while riding it! next time you gotta drop the saddle... way easier than it looks and it immediately turns the inner-jedi on high.

no offense, but that was one of the most terrible-ist soundtracks i think ive heard for a mountain bike video. nothing gets me fired-up to shred quite like an angst ridden teen yelling over synthesized muzac!
    ditto

mtbr member
    I love this video! I ride Sedona alot, and have always wanted to put HangOver in my todo list'...when I see the exposure, it always goes farther down the list and I end up doing the less risk trails...good stuff though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I so need to get to Sedona this weekend.

mtbr member
    not sure how you can tell whether or not I dropped my saddle in the video, but whatever. Sorry the soundtrack isn't to everyones liking. I like it and I know I have watched it more than anyone else! Mute it if it drives you crazy. I honestly get tired of the gnar soundtracks as many trails don't require the gnar soundtrack. I feel this is one of them. Hangover isn't a technical trail. It has exposure, but it isn't a ripping gnarly downhill.

The trail is great, the exposure honestly is in the background most of the time as the trail isn't really that technical and is rolling and slightly uphill.

Still, amazing trail. Probably what I was looking forward to most of all and it didn't disappoint.

Here is a video I made from my trip to Whistler a year or so back. Once again, mellow chill music.

Give it a crank
    Nice video, wanna see the other videos too. That's plenty good for a quick edit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Hero View Post
    Hangover isn't a technical trail. It has exposure, but it isn't a ripping gnarly downhill.

The trail is great, the exposure honestly is in the background most of the time as the trail isn't really that technical and is rolling and slightly uphill.
    Interesting comment. Just an observation but none of the technical parts of Hangover are in your vid.

mtbr member
    good point, let me clarify. It obviously is a technical trail but the ride reports and internet mystique behind this trail led me to believe that it was a brutal, exposed, high consequence trail. Once I found the trail off of cowpies and started on it, I found myself enjoying the raw beauty of riding in a totally different terrain than I am used to rather than white knuckling it through. I don't think it lived up to the technical factor that I was expecting. That is not a slam, but rather a revelation for me. I love the technical, but this trail blew me away with the views and feelings of seclusion and adventure.

I did find the section of trail right after the one in my video, where you drop down through the saddle / bench to have some double black moves, but climbing up to the section in the video and the whole contour trail around was beautifully flowing and awesome.

Put it this way, I believe the hype in the technical challenges to this trail drown out the raw beauty of this trail. I was expecting more of a brutal gauntlet run rather than a challenging but rewarding single track ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Interesting comment. Just an observation but none of the technical parts of Hangover are in your vid.
    When I worked at one of the bike shops, people would always come back and say "That trail wasn't technical, it was easy. Well, at least the rideable parts were easy"...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

26 ain't dead
    good point, let me clarify. It obviously is a technical trail but the ride reports and internet mystique behind this trail led me to believe that it was a brutal, exposed, high consequence trail. Once I found the trail off of cowpies and started on it, I found myself enjoying the raw beauty of riding in a totally different terrain than I am used to rather than white knuckling it through. I don't think it lived up to the technical factor that I was expecting. That is not a slam, but rather a revelation for me. I love the technical, but this trail blew me away with the views and feelings of seclusion and adventure.

I did find the section of trail right after the one in my video, where you drop down through the saddle / bench to have some double black moves, but climbing up to the section in the video and the whole contour trail around was beautifully flowing and awesome.

Put it this way, I believe the hype in the technical challenges to this trail drown out the raw beauty of this trail. I was expecting more of a brutal gauntlet run rather than a challenging but rewarding single track ride.
    I tend to agree. It's really not that technical other than a few key spots, two of the harder ones having been cleaned up by the FS. But it is still bar none my favorite short ride in Sedona.

Great vid! Making me want to go ride it again before it gets too hot down there.

mtbr member
    not sure how you can tell whether or not I dropped my saddle in the video, but whatever. Sorry the soundtrack isn't to everyones liking. I like it and I know I have watched it more than anyone else! Mute it if it drives you crazy. I honestly get tired of the gnar soundtracks as many trails don't require the gnar soundtrack. I feel this is one of them. Hangover isn't a technical trail. It has exposure, but it isn't a ripping gnarly downhill.

Still, amazing trail. Probably what I was looking forward to most of all and it didn't disappoint.

Here is a video I made from my trip to Whistler a year or so back. Once again, mellow chill music.

Nice vid!

Kinda off topic, but how long did that road trip take from AZ? Im assuming you live in AZ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fun, but not very technical.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member

Ha, no I live in Santa Barbara. Long drive with the fam for spring break. 9 hours door to door. My kids are road warriors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Fun, but not very technical.
    Really? The approach to the Damifino saddle from the cowpies is technical although the hardest move has been dumbed down. I have yet to see anyone make the slickrock climb followed by the rerouted switchback to the Damifino saddle without stoppoing. I'd call the optional drop-in from the saddle quite tricky and the moves on the slickrock nose after riding the singletrack on the north side of Mitten Ridge is steep and technical with plenty of opportunity for getting hurt.

I don't know how you define technical but I would never take a novice on this trail and intermediates are going to walk many sections. Lots of folks I ride with that I would consider expert riders still walk some of the exposed slickrock sections.

To the OP, I was merely pointing out that none of the hard sections that bring HO the notoriety or hype if you want to call it that are in your vid. It's definitely not a ride for everybody. But thanks for the stoke and it's awesome that HO is now a system trail. The hikers are doing a number on it, however, with their trekking poles. Nobody saw that coming. Trail erosion exacerbated by trekking poles

mtbr member

I think we are arguing over semantics. I never meant to insinuate the trail was easy and apologize if it came across that way. As I mentioned earlier I was expecting more gnar and less flow based on everything I had read. Came away stoked on an awesome trail with some technical stuff thrown in for good measure

Who knew you couldn't trust the internets machine??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I think we are arguing over semantics. I never meant to insinuate the trail was easy and apologize if it came across that way. As I mentioned earlier I was expecting more gnar and less flow based on everything I had read. Came away stoked on an awesome trail with some technical stuff thrown in for good measure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks for posting. I am REALLY looking forward to riding there now. Well played sir.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Pretty cool Whistler vid...looks like you got more comfortable/faster through each segment.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Really? The approach to the Damifino saddle from the cowpies is technical although the hardest move has been dumbed down. I have yet to see anyone make the slickrock climb followed by the rerouted switchback to the Damifino saddle without stoppoing. I'd call the optional drop-in from the saddle quite tricky and the moves on the slickrock nose after riding the singletrack on the north side of Mitten Ridge is steep and technical with plenty of opportunity for getting hurt.

I don't know how you define technical but I would never take a novice on this trail and intermediates are going to walk many sections. Lots of folks I ride with that I would consider expert riders still walk some of the exposed slickrock sections.

To the OP, I was merely pointing out that none of the hard sections that bring HO the notoriety or hype if you want to call it that are in your vid. It's definitely not a ride for everybody. But thanks for the stoke and it's awesome that HO is now a system trail. The hikers are doing a number on it, however, with their trekking poles. Nobody saw that coming. Trail erosion exacerbated by trekking poles
    I don't know all the names of each 50ft, but what about the other 99% of the ride?

I'll tell you, fun, not technical.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    As long as the webpage has "mtbr" on the top, you never know what you're gonna get! As for your OP, you were stoked and wanted to share it...which is more than can be said about a lot of posts on this site...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member

I was so stoked the last time I rode Hangover I actually made that switchback (I dabbed once well below it when I got offline a bit on the steep slickrock). Then I dabbed again on that nasty boulder at the end of the difficulties right before the saddle.

Don't mind Mrwhlr. He always talks a big game. "Talk" being the operative word.

Here are some of my favorite spots on Hangover:

mtbr member
    Cool shots. Looking at the video the lines are starting to show themselves more. Seeing that you can drop down of the bench is sweet. Wish I had known that before, I wasn't even sure where the trail went at that point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast