mtbr member

Which shop has a good selection of single speed parts?

I'm converting my 29er to a single speed and I need a 32t chain ring and a set of single ring chain ring bolts. Any recommendations on a shop with a good selection of single speed parts?

(I've got everything else I need.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey
    I'm converting my 29er to a single speed and I need a 32t chain ring and a set of single ring chain ring bolts. Any recommendations on a shop with a good selection of single speed parts?

Pretty much any LBS will have the bolts (just ask for BMX bolts). I can't comment on the chain ring, as I was not aware there were SS-specific chain rings.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    SS chain rings are not ramped... I could probably get by with the one I have.

mtbr member
    I've been SS on a non SS chain ring for ever with no issues. Most middle chain rings are 32t standard anyway. When I built my SS I just used what I had, 12 months later and over a 1000 miles and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Most shops should have what you need, however a couple of recommendations...

Do not get aluminum BMX chainring bolts - get the steel cheap ones. Less creaking and way less chance of breaking one, especially with the 4 bolt cranks

Also, get a SS specific chainring - especially if you are using a chain tensioner like a surly or whatever. The teeth are longer and will hold the chain better than a geared ring. Recommendation is the regular old Salsa non-ramped chainring - 20 bucks, pretty much last forever (I get about 2 years out of them) and are strong. Swiss American, Slippery pig, and Rage should all have the ring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey

The Pig. If you are coming out for the night ride you can call them and ask Eric to bring them out to the park.

Members who have read this thread: 0