mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Shock service/rebuild

any place local (or not) that can overhaul a Manitou Swinger 4-way coil shock?

Yea, I know the shock sucks and I'd rather replace it with something better/newer, but I don't have the money for a new shock right now, and I don't have the special tools to do this myself, so I'm looking for overhaul/repair options on the cheap?

mtbr member
    don't know of anywhere locally, but have you tried answer directly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Yes

and this is the response I got:

We're unable to provide non-warranty service at this point. There are,
    however, a few service centers around the country which work
    consumer-direct and can perform the service you need.

followed by a list of 3 places which I sent emails to, no response back yet from them.

sixsixtysix
    I am pretty sure you're screwed. Hayes bought Manitou and basically cut off all the old products at the knees from any warranty or tech support.

There were a handful of service center's but when Manitou was sold, again Hayes cut them off abruptly and most of them were not happy about it, so the chances of them helping you out is probably slim to none.

Best advice, start saving for a new shock. The way Manitou is doing business, I don't see them long for this world.

mtbr member
    depending on your funds, there is always avalanche

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    depending on your funds, there is always avalanche
    Considering most places can charge as much as $150 for an overhaul, with an extra 30 or 40 to get the quality of Avalanche in the "old-tech" swinger this could be a real good option.

Thanks for that info.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by General Havoc
    any place local (or not) that can overhaul a Manitou Swinger 4-way coil shock?

Yea, I know the shock sucks and I'd rather replace it with something better/newer, but I don't have the money for a new shock right now, and I don't have the special tools to do this myself, so I'm looking for overhaul/repair options on the cheap?

You have 2 possible options. First one I would reccomend is to take your shock into your local shop and ask them to contact BTI to find out if they can rebuild it and what the cost range would be to rebuild it. The second option is to send it to Hippy Tech, they specialize in rebuilding stuff that the Mfgr won't support anymore, drawback to them is they are SLOW, so try BTI first.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    You have 2 possible options. First one I would reccomend is to take your shock into your local shop and ask them to contact BTI to find out if they can rebuild it and what the cost range would be to rebuild it. The second option is to send it to Hippy Tech, they specialize in rebuilding stuff that the Mfgr won't support anymore, drawback to them is they are SLOW, so try BTI first.
    Didn't know BTI did that sort of thing, I thought they only sold parts as a distributor. Hippie Tech gave me a 2 week turn around time, which ain't bad, but for about the same price the Avalanche option seems like in the end it would be a better shock (the Avalanche option changes the internals, whereas everyone else just overhauls the stock part)

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by General Havoc
    Didn't know BTI did that sort of thing, I thought they only sold parts as a distributor. Hippie Tech gave me a 2 week turn around time, which ain't bad, but for about the same price the Avalanche option seems like in the end it would be a better shock (the Avalanche option changes the internals, whereas everyone else just overhauls the stock part)

Not trying to bad mouth Hippie Tech but last time I sent a shoc to them for a rebuild they told me the same thing, 2 weeks. 5 weeks and a very unhappy customer later the shoc finaly arrived back at the shop.

BTI I want to say will run about $50-100 not including shipping, so it is worth checking into. They are also very good in regards to getting the work done and the shock back to you, just keep in mind it has to be done through a shop.

mtbr member
    here are a few more options.