Fragile - must be Italian

Shaw Butte Trail 306 - gnarly section

Has anybody ridden Trail 306 off the back (West) side of Shaw Butte? I'm not talking about the road going up that everybody rides/hikes up on...but the back part of the loop that drops west and then north going back down to T100. Today was my first.

I rode up Shaw Butte with plans of going down the usual way. But I had the Motolite with me and I wanted a change of pace, so I figured I would venture down the back way. Well, it's pretty gnarly.

The trail starts tame...down a steep paved grade. Then it hits double-track. Then it hits really nasty steep loose get-your-ass-behind-the-saddle doubletrack. And then you get to some switchbacks...and this is where the fun begins.

The switchbacks aren't too bad, but if you aren't really careful, you'll endo in a few spots. The turns have some big drops and lots of big chunky crap (i.e. bowling ball size rocks). I cleaned it all...but it took me a few tries on two of the switchbacks...and I damn near endo'd at least once.

After the switchbacks there is a really steep downhill with some really big drops. I was able to clean most of it but I had to walk two of the drops -- they were over 2 feet with lots of loose crap below. Even with armor on I don't know if I could make those without going OTB or getting hung up on the chainring.

Anyway, I really like the challenge and will definitely hit that area again sometime soon.

I'm just curious to know who else has ridden that section recently.

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    I haven't done it recently but I have been down that section many times. Never have managed to clean the whole thing, I even have some old video of me doing the slow motion OTB maneuver.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

parenting for gnarness

weren't you tired??

I hurt through my whole (short) workout yesterday! saturday wasn't enough for you?

amazingly, these were the results from '06. I think this means that my recovery workouts of drinking beer and watching football are more effective training

Jason Alexander 07:25:52.63
    Douglas Gangi 07:53:00.09

more likely, you got lost.
    Last edited by chollaball; 09-29-2008 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Has anybody ridden Trail 306 off the back (West) side of Shaw Butte? I'm not talking about the road going up that everybody rides/hikes up on...but the back part of the loop that drops west and then north going back down to T100. Today was my first.

I rode up Shaw Butte with plans of going down the usual way. But I had the Motolite with me and I wanted a change of pace, so I figured I would venture down the back way. Well, it's pretty gnarly.

The trail starts tame...down a steep paved grade. Then it hits double-track. Then it hits really nasty steep loose get-your-ass-behind-the-saddle doubletrack. And then you get to some switchbacks...and this is where the fun begins.

The switchbacks aren't too bad, but if you aren't really careful, you'll endo in a few spots. The turns have some big drops and lots of big chunky crap (i.e. bowling ball size rocks). I cleaned it all...but it took me a few tries on two of the switchbacks...and I damn near endo'd at least once.

After the switchbacks there is a really steep downhill with some really big drops. I was able to clean most of it but I had to walk two of the drops -- they were over 2 feet with lots of loose crap below. Even with armor on I don't know if I could make those without going OTB or getting hung up on the chainring.

Anyway, I really like the challenge and will definitely hit that area again sometime soon.

Thx...Doug

Sweet! Never ridden it, hiked up Shaw Butte a few times. Tried to pedal my old RMX up the paved road, didn't make it and I think I tasted blood...

Definitely going to check that out sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I have ridden it and it is very challenging. I first attempted it in 1997 and failed hard, I purchased a new bike in 1998 and thought that would make me better, it did a little but I snapped my rear derailleur off on the first switchback with the big boulder on the right turn. Because of that itís when I first tried a single speed on a trail. Ha!
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Downhill Messiah
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

Thx...Doug
    that trail is a grand ole time...i just might go ride it tonight.
    Madspeed always prevails!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Sweet! Never ridden it, hiked up Shaw Butte a few times. Tried to pedal my old RMX up the paved road, didn't make it and I think I tasted blood...

Definitely going to check that out sometime.
    I thought you rode that dh backside last winter?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I thought you rode that dh backside last winter?
    Nope. Wanted to, but never got around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

I'm "bad" different
    The outcome of attempting that trail without armor is highly predictable. Kudos Doug for defying the odds.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I hurt through my whole (short) workout yesterday! saturday wasn't enough for you?
    No...I thought I was going to be zonked but I felt pretty good Sunday AM. So I turned what was going to be a mellow ride to test out my new AM wheels on the Motolite into a climb-everything sufferfest. I went up Shaw Butte...Rocky Ridge...Bloody Knuckles...Mine Trail...Voaz Loop...and the 8 (past the A&W House all the way to the 40th St saddle). It turned out to be a bit more than I could chew after the battering I took coming down the 8, so after 4 hours and 31 miles I bailed and took the road home. But it was all good.

amazingly, these were the results from '06. I think this means that my recovery workouts of drinking beer and watching football are more effective training

Jason Alexander 07:25:52.63
    Douglas Gangi 07:53:00.09

more likely, you got lost.
    Ha ha smarty pants. Yes I did get lost (made a few wrong turns on the fireroad transition back to the loop again). And as usual I had mechanical problems out the wazoo. Broke a chain and got it jammed in the cassette/derailleur. Had the cassette loosen up on me...three times. Flatted 3 times. Ya know...the typical "when it rains it pours" crap that has screwed me on every TOWM.

We'll see how well I fare this year. I am in great riding shape, so I cross my fingers the bike holds together...

Thx...Doug

parenting for gnarness
    i've been waiting for the right time to post those results since I stumbled onto em last week. they surprised me, to say the least

i spent part of yesterday figuring out how to use the Tracks feature on my old garmin Etrex vista and upload the course map, probably help my time more than any training.