Ahhh the pain....

Share your tire repair tips

I think we all could probably benefit learning how to do some trail-side repair of tire slices that don't seem to seal up on their own with whatever goo we're running inside. Walking your bike out longs distances ain't no fun. Here are my thoughts, some of which I've done, ...

1. Puncture or small (up to maybe 0.25") slice: Use a small 1"x1" piece of bandana or other cloth and push center into hole with smallest hex wrench. Give's the goo a matrix to coagulate around. BTW, I've pinch flatted a tire and this technique worked like a champ.
    2. 0.5" to 1" inch slice: Generally requires a tube and needs some kind of reinforcement... Dollar bill, piece of milk jug or 2L bottle, empty toothpaste tube cut open, Park boot, car tire patch.
    3. > 1" slice: Park boot (maybe even 2 depending on size) plus an additional reinforcement from one of the above. Another option would be to carry upholstery thread and needle and use a baseball stitch to pull the cut edges flush.

Please post your experiences..and let's keep the scope to "TRAIL SIDE" techniques.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

AZ
    banned
    Dental floss to sew up sliced sidewalls. Have had good results with Park boots and dollar bills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My buddy had about a 1" long side wall tear while riding, we put a tube in and of course it bulged out the hole so we used a Blue cross blue shield insurance card and it worked great and got him home.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Dental floss to sew up sliced sidewalls. Have had good results with Park boots and dollar bills.
    Yeah, thread or something similar with some glue and a boot of some kind usually. On the trail: boot from power bar wrapper/plastic cup and a tube.

Sometimes depends on the tire, ripped off a knob on my intense tire yesterday, no problem, casing still intact. Ripped off knobs on kenda tires ive owned: takes the threads along with the knob! You end up screwed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Superglue and old skool rubber tube patches works from the inside of a damaged tire (dry off the sealant as best you can, still works with some sealant residue in the patch area). I've also patched the outside of a sidewall as a preemptive fix. Superglue alone can reinforce a flapper knobbie, too. And superglue doesn't dry out like patch cement once the package is opened. I hear it works on skin too...

A bike shop mechanic tipped me on it. It's been too useful a tip to not pass along the info.

Mike

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Duct tape on the inside and super glue on the outside of the wall.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Duct tape on the inside and super glue on the outside of the wall.
    Fail,
    Best way to fix a tire is buy a new one. AZdog!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Blew rear sidewall on the AES McDowell ride. It was a about 1.25 inch vertical slice in the sidewall at mile 22.5. I run tubeless and fixed it with spare tube and power bar wrapper. I made a decision to ride 1 mile up hill to the Wingate Saddle and made it back to my car with no issues but I rode easy. I feel lucky with no HAB but I still wonder if it would have held together if I stuck to the race route. I was my first experience with sidewall blow out.

The tire was a Conti Race King 29". Who thinks it would have held together for another 23 miles and 4000 feet of climbing and descending? And you would you have taken the risk knowing if it goes bad you are in for a serious HAB.

Big B's Trails
    Superglue(flexible kind) with lil round pieces of old tubes cut out make great patch kits, those along with a gu wrapper and dental floss/needle can fix 70% of the users problems, if your in the 30%... video or it didn't happen
    I dig dirt!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    Fail,
    Best way to fix a tire is buy a new one. AZdog!
    Ginger tears and spam for you?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Super Glue (always pick up a package of the tiny tubes when I think of it and toss themn inthe bag-dried out 3 year old glue is a true nightmare)

Old tube- I carry some old around for patches etc.

Plugs- Okay, I have seen these for a couple years. Even saw a guy (one of Grunnions crew) put one in a tubeless. I just bought some and tossed them into the pack. I'll give them a try. Anyone have any words of advice on the plugs?

I also carry at least one if not two tubes. Not only for flats but for survival usage (many) as a sling or tourniquet.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Hammer gel wrappers.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Gorilla Tape, I swear the stuff could fix a broken chain...wrap a bit around pump handle.

(Thanks Henry)

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Plugs- Okay, I have seen these for a couple years. Even saw a guy (one of Grunnions crew) put one in a tubeless. I just bought some and tossed them into the pack. I'll give them a try. Anyone have any words of advice on the plugs?
    No advice but you got me to thinking. I have a plug set for MTB tires. They are just smaller than regular plugs. Makes me think, though, that I need to carry some regular plugs also/instead. Stuff them into a larger hole and you may seal up fine. Gotta remember to carry extra sealant, though.

Ahhh the pain....
    Picked up a 4 pack of curved needles at Wally world and the cheapest waxed dental floss I could find. Pre-threaded 2 of them and stuck them in 1/2 a cork. Now I can either stitch up a tire or play Rambo when I slice my skin.
    Here's a cool illustration of a baseball stitch too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your tire repair tips-2011-12-22_17-50-40_922.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Gel wrapers are the best for covering large holes or as ive seen a canabalized water bottle with some zip ties works too

mtbr member
    I carry pieces of tire liner. Cut them about the same as the Park boot. Used up 2 tubes of patch cement but we put together a nearly cut off knobby held great. Still need a new tire this is just a get back to the car fix.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I shoved a piece of my shoelace into a tear with a rock once. It held for about 70 miles before I finally got a new tire. Others I've fixed with Gorilla tape like Chipolopolo. I think having some thread and needle is a great idea, especially for super out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere rides. Thanks for the baseball stitch tip!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've used the tire plugs many times with great success until I can get home and properly patch the inside of the tire.

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks for all the contributions guys...hopefully, it's been useful to others and helps to create better prepared riders. Seems like I've reached into my pack for fix-it-stuff more times for others than myself; and that's perfectly OK. Gives me great pleasure to get someone rolling again.
    Was out with a friend today coming down Bell and he sliced his rear tire - had put a few pieces of toothpaste tube the evening prior and they worked great(thx randyharris for the tip). Seems like for slices < 1", you could put almost any credit card sized flexible thing in there and it works. Great to know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Thanks for all the contributions guys...hopefully, it's been useful to others and helps to create better prepared riders. Seems like I've reached into my pack for fix-it-stuff more times for others than myself; and that's perfectly OK. Gives me great pleasure to get someone rolling again.
    Was out with a friend today coming down Bell and he sliced his rear tire - had put a few pieces of toothpaste tube the evening prior and they worked great(thx randyharris for the tip). Seems like for slices < 1", you could put almost any credit card sized flexible thing in there and it works. Great to know!
    In my short time in the Phoenix area I have seen many sidewalls eaten by the local rocks. Every AZ MTB'er should be prepared for this. FYI, cliff bar wrappers and the like are only good for small slices. On the bigger ones they are not stiff enough and cause serious bulging. The park tire boot or milk carton sections or something more rigid are necessary. Unfortunately I have lots of experience in this. I like the aforementioned needle and dental floss - very clever.

mtbr member
    >a small 1"x1" piece of bandana or other cloth and push center into hole with smallest hex wrench

(Same basic idea here) I've used small pieces of paper towel several times, they soak up the stans and plug the hole everytime
    -MitchB