Thread: Sh***y luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Sh***y luck!

So I take nearly a year off from riding to move to Flag with a new job opportunity. I've been working a ton and trying to meet new people and get the kids all settled in. So, I'm feeling pretty good, been working out and running and even got a couple rides in. So, I call a buddy and say lets go riding Saturday. Sure enough he's all for it. We rode all day and hit everything we wanted to hit on elden and at about 3 mph as I was coming to a stop, I hit a rock, root or something and it knocked me over. Literally, I was coming to a stop to talk with a friend! Well, pictures can say more than words sometimes so here's one a week after surgery...

Sh***y luck!-image.jpg

Tore my triceps tendon and muscle from my elbow and broke a piece of bone off my elbow!! Fully padded from head to toe! I didn't even bang a single body part on anything! It was just they way I caught myself! When it's your time, it's your time lol. This is all just for sympathy and pity lol. I'm feeling a little bummed haha.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't understand,you were wearing elbow pads?did they push to the side? what brand were you wearing?
    that's a bad scar for 3 miles per hour.good thing it didn't happen at faster speeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That was the wound post surgery. I didn't have a scrape on me before that. It was all just internal. The tendon snapped from just catching myself. I had some tendonitis in that elbow which may have weakened it.

My other ride is your mom
    Walt had the same thing happen to him on BCT nearly 2 years ago...he might have some good rehab stories for you....heal up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd love to hear some rehab stories. Thanks for the well wishes.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Dang, heal up!!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Good Luck!

Those setbacks suck. Glad it was not worse

bland
    Wow! That's some bad luck. I hope you heal up quick.

mtbr member
    With the scar you are going to have you need to make up a better story than that!

mtbr member
    That is terrible luck. I used to take judo in college. That is the best training for taking falls. It saved my ass multiple times when otb-ing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks y'all for the well wishes! No doubt that's gonna be a legit scar. Maybe I'll start a new post for the best story idea! Lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    • Same injury! Joined just to post mine.
    • A month ago I was going uphill in a rock garden (The Spine at Sweetwater in NW Tucson), less than 5 MPH. Front wheel caught a dip and I went over the bars, landed on my elbow with all my weight. Lots of swelling but x-rays the same day showed no break. Was sent home with an ace bandage, not knowing that the elbow was stress fractured.
    • A couple of weeks later, I was test-riding a recumbent bike so that I could ride something again. I had to catch my balance while stepping out of the bike. As I jerked my arm in the air, triceps contracted and ripped its tendon out of my elbow, taking a piece of the weakened bone with it.
    • Sh***y luck here because I was training for the 24HOP. This all happened just a few weeks before the race. Next year!
    • induction, how has yours healed up over time?

This was the second round of x-rays after the tendon detached, you can see the little pieces of bone pulled off near the elbow.This is a week after getting surgery to re-attach the tendon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sh***y luck!-img_20170220_121318.jpg  

Sh***y luck!-elbow-bone-flake-xray.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmart View Post
    • Same injury! Joined just to post mine.
    • A month ago I was going uphill in a rock garden (The Spine at Sweetwater in NW Tucson), less than 5 MPH. Front wheel caught a dip and I went over the bars, landed on my elbow with all my weight. Lots of swelling but x-rays the same day showed no break. Was sent home with an ace bandage, not knowing that the elbow was stress fractured.
    • A couple of weeks later, I was test-riding a recumbent bike so that I could ride something again. I had to catch my balance while stepping out of the bike. As I jerked my arm in the air, triceps contracted and ripped its tendon out of my elbow, taking a piece of the weakened bone with it.
    • Sh***y luck here because I was training for the 24HOP. This all happened just a few weeks before the race. Next year!
    • induction, how has yours healed up over time?

This was the second round of x-rays after the tendon detached, you can see the little pieces of bone pulled off near the elbow.This is a week after getting surgery to re-attach the tendon.

It's pretty great now. I lift heavy and still ride my mtn bike, bmx bike and dirt bike. Just be consistent and positive through rehab. Push through the "good" pain and keep working it and stretching it so you don't lose mobility. It took awhile for it to feel 100%, but it was worth it

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Glad to hear you ended up OK! How long after the surgery until you started to ride again? I haven't even started physical therapy yet. Can't wait to get these staples out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    wow crazy you both had the same exact injury! Hope I dont have a freak accident like that. Good luck on recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It was quite a while before I started physical therapy...AT LEAST two months. I did however work legs and the other side of my upper body. It translates into strength, endurance and improved motor skills for the non-worked, injured side too!