Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    parenting for gnarness

Seeking feedback on a proposed petition to require equestrians to bag their poo

Would you sign a simple single-issue petition to land managers asking that equestrians be required to clean up behind themselves? It seems to me that the only people not disgusted by piles of poo on the trail are the equestrians, so with numbers overwhelmingly against, why should this continue?

Would it have any traction?

What would the pros and cons be if such a petition was forwarded to decision-makers? Positive or negative blowback?

How much further ???
    Con: GIANT blue bags of poo thrown on the side of the trail.

In all seriousness I don't see it happening. I would be all for a compromise of just shoveling it off the trail. No need to pick it up and lug out several pounds of feces. Just scrape it off the trail at least.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I think I saw somewhere they had these bags that attach behind the horse that catch the trail litter. This as a requirement doesn't seem too unreasonable.

To answer the question, yes I'd sign it.

EDR

Beef-A-Reen-O

I think it would take an obscenely huge effort to make it happen. I would be more in favor of a simpler change that required all trial users to leave all officially sanctioned multi-use trails poo and garbage free. This could mean you tie a diaper to your horse or dog, or it could simply mean you move it off trail after the fact. It leaves options without dictating too much. Still won't happen though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    go fer it. Try it on Jennifer first at Coco. Even if it was only, to start, on some selected trails; ie high use 'hiking/runnin' trails; that w/b a good start.
    Great idea.
    I don't understand why some dog owners go to the trouble to scoop it into a bag; then just toss the bag beside the trail; guess its better than ds right on the trail; but the bags are unsightly; of course, so are horses. TS

How much further ???
    I would sign a petition to remove horses all together from multi-use trails Then sign a petition to open all wilderness trails to mountain bikers. And then sign a petition to remove all hikers and designate all trails in the world mountain bikers ONLY .............

Sorry I was nodding off at my desk..... what were we talking about again?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Horse Diapers

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  7.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Would you sign a simple single-issue petition to land managers asking that equestrians be required to clean up behind themselves?
    In a simple word: no.

Horse **** does not bother me one bit.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Horse crap while unsightly is typically pretty dry and decomposes fairly quickly. It doesn't really bother me unless I am right behind the horse doing it.
    I don't see it sticking anyway, most of the time riders don't even know the horses have dropped a load as they just do it as they walk.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    its like baseball sized bunny-pills

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Horse craap on trails is an obstacle that often takes skill to manuever around. If you remove the horse craap on the trails are you in essence sanitizing the trails...and we know how the MTB community feels about sanitizing trails...

How much further ???
    Good point. I better start holding my BM's so I can take a dump on the trail and un-sanitize it.

mtbr member
    Ya, alfalfa decomposes very quickly, and is actually a good fertilizer. All the junk in dog food, including meat-by products, make carnivore poo much more toxic, bacteria-ridden, smellier, and attracts more pests. Horse poo is annoying cause it is big, but it is gone in a week. Dog **** takes months to break down.

When I hike and see a horse turd, if it is dry, I kick it to the side of the trail so no one steps in it. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Ya, alfalfa decomposes very quickly, and is actually a good fertilizer. All the junk in dog food, including meat-by products, make carnivore poo much more toxic, bacteria-ridden, smellier, and attracts more pests. Horse poo is annoying cause it is big, but it is gone in a week. Dog **** takes months to break down.

When I hike and see a horse turd, if it is dry, I kick it to the side of the trail so no one steps in it. Problem solved.
    ^^^^Bingo. Horse **** and dog **** are two completely different things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    God, I love, LOVE that I can type **** on this site. ****, ****, ****, ****.

mtbr member
    Don't care, horse **** on trails doesn't bother me a bit.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, what else doesn't get censored?
    **** crap damn ass **** ***** ***** dick

parenting for gnarness
    Would you touch week-old horse poo with your hands?
    Is it reasonable to ask the non-horseshitting public to tolerate littering?
    How is a pile of dried horse poo any less littering than a sealed blue dog poo bag?
    Is there a double-standard for equestrians compared to other trail users?

My other ride is your mom
    I rode behind some horse yesterday......fresh piles of poo flung up onto my downtube and water bottle.....that's unsanitary and disgusting.

Yes, I will sign a petition.

mtbr member
    I think toasted cheese sandwiches with bacon on rye are my favorite. And substitute a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil in the pan for the butter, and the bacon becomes that much healthier. Almost vegetable, even.

As for horses, their poop is pretty benign. It's the cow **** to look out for.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post

Here's the thing though...if you're looking in the sense of conservation... Horse poo, which is slightly digested and metabolized hay, contains many seeds of non-native and sometimes invasive species of plant life. By letting horses poo all over the desert, the potential of introducing even more non-native invasive plants than we already have increases dramatically. Dog **** is exactly that. ****. It (usually) does not carry seeds that have the potential to become plants that aren't from the area. Casual Observer is on to something...horse **** and dog **** aren't the same thing...even though they both get left on the trails by thoughtless animal owners...one will grow into other problems, the other just sits on the side of the trail in a little blue bag...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Well, yeah, I mean, unless two things are actually the same thing, they are always two different things.

Then again, the veterinarians use long arm-length rubber gloves when they stick their hand up a horses a$$...what do they know what we don't?

Did all the flies and bugs that flocked to the poop use their hand sanitizer before landing on it?

If you're claiming their **** don't stink...it most certainly does. Maybe not in the exact same way as others, but stinky, messy, obnoxious, unsanitary, disgusting and all the other descriptions that one would expect from.....****.

I'd sign that petition in a heartbeat. Find a mostly-hiker type trail and submit a petition for it. They use those horse-diaper things in most cities that have horses downtown being enslaved for stuff (riding, carriages, etc), I guess someone in those cities doesn't agree that the **** is such great stuff...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I would love for a few horses to take some MASSIVE dumps in my compost pile...

mtbr member
    **** **** ****...Yup that felt good. I'd probably sign it to be honest. **** is **** in my opinion, and I don't understand why the horse people are immune to the rules/common courtesy that everyone else follows. I know one thing, fresh horse **** being flung up into my bike and face is not a good thing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    Poop does not bother me but the blue bags do.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast