mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sedona. Where to stay for some cheep dirtbags.

Hey Folks,

My self and approx 6 of my close friends will be heading to Sedona for 4 days in January. I am looking for a cheap place to stay. I know camping in extremely limited in Sedona, and some of us have a very limited budget. can anyone point me twards good car camping locations? or cheap campsites? If you also want to include your favorite All Mtn trails I would love to get more info on the entire area. thanks in advance.

Dan

mtbr member
    If you want to camp, start here:

Coconino National Forest - Red Rock Ranger District

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    5 miles form the city limits all public land is free

mtbr member
    White House Motel is $50 or so a night. Nothing special but clean and bug free and is in West Sedona. Also, Sedona Village Lodge is right next to Bike and Bean and around $50 a night.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Vincit qui patitur
    Bike and Bean has cabins too I think?
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    White House Motel is $50 or so a night. Nothing special but clean and bug free and is in West Sedona. Also, Sedona Village Lodge is right next to Bike and Bean and around $50 a night.
    Most informative Sedona post I've ever read.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Bike and Bean has cabins too I think?
    You're thinking of Red Agave Resort. I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap, unless you have 4 or 5 people who aren't afraid of sharing a tight space. It is an awesome place; there's hot tubs, all units have a full kitchen, and the trails pick up off of the property.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

EDR
    I'm cheap when it comes to biking and no family involved, just the buds...and for an over nighter we've just camped out in the desert, down some dirts roads several miles, sleeping in the bed of the truck. Was it legal? No. Did we care? Not really. Were the night time views of the huge red rock bluff in the near distance on a full moon night spectacular? YES!

For several nights this is probably not a good option though. But you said CHEAP BASTARDS so that's my advice. You can always shower, shave, pee and poop in Oak Creek like the rest of the out-of-towners.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 12-28-2012 at 08:41 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'm cheap when it comes to biking and no family involved, just the buds...and for an over nighter we've just camped out in the desert, down some dirts roads several miles, sleeping in the bed of the truck. Was it legal? No. Did we care? Not really. Were the night time views of the huge red rock bluff in the near distance on a full moon night spectacular? YES!

For several nights this is probably not a good option though. But you said CHEAP BASTARDS so that's my advice. You can always shower, shave, pee and poop in Oak Creek like the rest of the out-of-towners.
    edit:

Excellent post

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    edit:

Excellent post
    Thanks TD

And I thought you'd be one to poo poo on my circumventing "the man' and camping for free.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Thanks TD

And I thought you'd be one to poo poo on my circumventing "the man' and camping for free.
    edr:

I spent 8 years on the road and only spent 4 days in a paid facility during those 8 years. I spent 2 1/2 months at Whislter each year in a secret non paid location living the dream. I spent 3 months each year coming to Sedona and boonedocked at numerous secret locations in town.

I use to park at the Sedona airport longterm parking lot around 11PM then leave at 7:30 AM. I use to park where the Hyatt is now.

Do I feel remorseful about all those free days of parking-no way? I would go out and do necessary trail repairs in each community I stayed in so the masses would have a great place to ride. That way I didn't feel like I was not contributing to the local community

What a Country!!!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    edr:

I spent 8 years on the road and only spent 4 days in a paid facility during those 8 years. I spent 2 1/2 months at Whislter each year in a secret non paid location living the dream. I spent 3 months each year coming to Sedona and boonedocked at numerous secret locations in town.

I use to park at the Sedona airport longterm parking lot around 11PM then leave at 7:30 AM. I use to park where the Hyatt is now.

Do I feel remorseful about all those free days of parking-no way? I would go out and do necessary trail repairs in each community I stayed in so the masses would have a great place to ride. That way I didn't feel like I was not contributing to the local community

What a Country!!!
    Awesome

mtbr member
    I usually stay in cottonwood if not camping out on the West side. I swear its only 20 minutes away from the west side trails...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

No Stranger to danger....
    Ive just spoken to Trail Doc, and he has informed me that you and your 6 mates can stay in his Van for the 4 days, once again the great man TD steps up to the plate, nice work TD......
    But OP ,be warned TDs van is under 24/7 surveillance from the Sedona police and rangers, they are waiting to pounce on him as he leaves for one of his night time, no moon, rogue trail expeditions...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....