mtbr member

Sedona/VOC Tour Guide??

Anyone interested in leading a ride for an East Coaster? I’ll have my sweet Diamond Back 29r strapped to my ’89 Mustang GT jamming to Bruce.

ONLY KIDDING!!!

Intermediate+ rider who is looking to get back to Sedona (lived in Tempe/Chandler throughout the 90’s) and enjoy its splendor. Not a speed demo, but a decent rider who wants to get out and have a solid ride without having to stop at every intersection to double check my route.

Will be in town from 5/24 – 5/30. Hoping to get out that first weekend and during the early week before heading back to PHX to visit with family and college buddies.

I promise to leave Snooki at home and never reference which exit I live off of.
    Nothing really witty to say..........

Lakvoodoo
    sedona destination adventures....great guys.
    Get Outside!

mtbr member
    Lak, thank you!! Bean & Bike had the same recommendation. I'm sure they are great guys and plan on using them for at least one day.

In addition, I'm assuming the local riders get inundated with endless requests similar to mine all year round. Didn’t realize this at first. Although I ride some of the best trails in NJ (Northwest NJ), there are not many local tour requests from out of state riders.

Was planning on riding with SDA at least one day, but I’ll be riding several days and the $175.00 cost/day will add up quickly. Anyone have a .gps file of some of their favorite loops? I could use this on the days I’ll ride solo. Anywhere from 15-25 miles would be great.

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Kathleen in AZ
    Stop by a local shop once in Sedona, pick up the Beartooth map and a t-shirt or pint glass (support the LBS!), and ask the shop guys for some recommendations. Trails are well marked so just head out and ride!

Huffy Rider
    If the weather gets below 80, PM me and I will show you some fun trails.

just 1 more
    Hmm.... wonder how many people reading this thread have actually spent $100-$200 for a 1/2 day trail guide somewhere?
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Stop by a local shop once in Sedona, pick up the Beartooth map and a t-shirt or pint glass (support the LBS!), and ask the shop guys for some recommendations. Trails are well marked so just head out and ride!
    Already planning on it. Looking forward to swinging by Bike & Bean and showing the love to what seems to be a great shop.

Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    If the weather gets below 80, PM me and I will show you some fun trails.
    Thank You!!! If the weather holds up, I'll def reach out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Search sedona mountain biking at everytrail.com. I'd post a link but I'm on an iPad and it doesn't run well on it.

$175/day for a guide is pretty steep!
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    What a great trip!!!!! Ended up riding only two days while in town, but enjoyed them both tremendously. A very busy work schedule took its toll on me as I landed in PHX with a case of Bronchitis. I thought about following up with those that offered to show me around, but I ended up riding solo for I was a bit slow and sick. Thank you again to those that extended riding invitations.

As others had stated, the trails are all very well marked. This with a well laid out map allowed me to put together two solid days of riding on some very different types of trails.

Day 1 - took advantage of the trails within VOC and started out of the Bike & Bean shop with a rented Santa Cruz Tallboy 29r. The crew was very cool and accommodating going over the bike and confirming my planned ride was on some quality trails. Rolled out of the shop and onto Slim Shady; HT; BR Pathway; little bit of neighborhood roads; Mystic; Pigstail; more asphalt; Broken Arrow; Little Horse; Llama; BR Pathway and back to the shop. Great loop with some challenging short burst climbs/rock features. Only issue was I kept pedal striking on the Santa Cruz. Other than that, the bike was great!! Started bonking a bit towards the end of Llama….altitude difference and under the weather forced me to wrap things up for the day. Although I live/ride in New Jersey’s “mountainous” region, we are still only about 1,300 feet above sea-level. 1,804 feet is the highest point in NJ. Back to the resort and crashed in a lounge chair buy the pool for the remainder of the day.

Day 2 – skipped riding so I can recover and allow my body to heal a bit. Well needed day of lounging by the pool and doing nothing work related.

Day 3 – Decided to head over to Over the Edge and roll out within the West Sedona trails. These guys were super cool and hooked me up with a solid loop. Funny thing….I’m far from a typical cyclist physique at 6’3” at 250lbs….first impressions don’t do me well in the cycling world. They were hesitant in showing me loops of 15+ miles and kept trying to steer me towards a simpler loop. After explaining I recently did a 25 mile SS race a few weeks earlier…they felt more comfortable and made a few additions to my laid out loop. I felt much better and the altitude issues seemed to be a thing of the past. Rolled out of the shop and heading towards Dry Creek Road and ultimately onto Chuck Wagon; Long Canyon Trail; Mescal Trail; Deadmans Pass; Aerie Trail; Cockscomb Trail; something Wilderness Trail; Girdner Trail and out just by the high school. This was an awesome loop with only two climbs; the last on the something wilderness trail was a grind back up to Girdner trail. These trails seemed to be more in my wheelhouse; super fast with lots of flow.

I’ve been on the fence of whether I should tell this little incident I had or not. Oh well, it’s pretty funny so here it goes. I’m moving along at a pretty good clip on Mescal totally absorbed in the trail and absolute natural beauty which is surrounding me when I happened to come up on 4’+ brown snake enjoying bit of the sun right in the middle of the trail. I must preface that I am a bit of a sissy when it comes to snakes. Timber Rattlers are present in the woods I ride and well….I just don’t like em. I can ride right up on a black bear with no problems, but a snake….Holy Sh@t!!! Needless to say, I come to a dead stop about 3’ from the snake and unclip my left foot from the pedal. Focused solely on the snake in front of me and trying not to panic, I put my foot down on top of a loose medium sized rock without looking first. It immediately rolled to the side which caused my foot/ankle to roll over as well. Without any time to adjust, I lost my balance and toppled onto the biggest Prickly Pear cactus I’ve seen. Momentum had taken me right over the cactus and onto an almost equally thorny shrub of an unknown name. Still having the snake on my mind, I was concerned of another snake about to sink It’s fangs in me and leaped out of the bush and back onto the trail making noises that I’m far from proud of. Calming down a bit, regaining my composure, I snap a couple of pictures of the snake before it slithers into the rocks never to be seen again. I spend the next 25 minutes pulling needles from my left leg, backside, back and shoulder all the while laughing at myself for my stupidity. With my bloodied leg and bruised ego, I finish the ride and roll into Over The Edge where they immediately question what happened to me. I explain my blunder and we all chuckle for a minute until they ask to see a picture of the snake. I saw the look on their faces and knew something was up…..it was a simple Gardner snake.

All in all, I had a great time!! Enjoyed some of AZ’s great trails. Met some great people at Bike & Bean and Over the Edge and truly appreciate the hospitality of those locals who offered to show me around. It had been 12 years since I’d been back to AZ and this trip helped solidify why I love this state so much. If it weren’t for meeting my wife when moving back to New Jersey, I would be kicking myself now for leaving in the first place.

If anyone is visiting New Jersey or even the NYC area, please do not hesitate to reach out to me if interested in riding. I would be happy to show you that New Jersey has some great trail systems.

Huffy Rider
    Sounds like you hit a majority of the real quality trails. Next time come when it is cooler and hit me up.

mtbr member
    I have been in Phoenix since 2008 and FINALLY rode Sedona a few weeks ago. I did the first loop you had mentioned, and it was a blast. Also, apparently only the nicest people hike on Sedona. Glad you had a good time and had a funny story to tell. I have never been to the other shop, but Bike and Bean is amazing. They were able to fix my friends bike right away, and they were clearly very busy. Great town.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Certain un-named 'Ambassadors' have made Sedona THE place to ride; and great bike shops, and an empathetic City council; AND some recent sensitivity from the USFS have helped alot too.
    Sedona rocks!
    TS