mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Sedona and VOC Get Approx. 30 Miles of New System Trails in the Next Three Years

Today Nicole Branton the Red Rock Ranger District Ranger signed the Decision Memo to adopt and construct a bunch of new trails in the Red Rock Ranger District. Work will take place in the next three areas: West Sedona, the Village of Oak Creek and Camp Verde. The majority of new trails to be added to the system will take place in West Sedona.

For a more detailed description this link should answer the majority of your questions: https://verdevalleycyclistscoalition...s-20180531.pdf

IPA tester
    What a country!
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Awesome news! I didn't think they would re-align the majority of Last Frontier but it all looks pretty cool. Western Civ had the hand writing on the wall because of private property. And a new Plumber's Crack!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Awesome news! I didn't think they would re-align the majority of Last Frontier but it all looks pretty cool. Western Civ had the hand writing on the wall because of private property. And a new Plumber's Crack!
    Rockman I am sure all of the reroutes will be enjoyable to ride when completed. I think you would agree they all aren't necessary and will be costly to implement, but it seems like saving money is not necessary because funding seems is easy to come by. Or maybe it's not easy to come by. so the project will take longer. The point is the FS has agreed to ADOPT 17 miles of user created trails. That is a huge accomplishment. Those trails are awesome additions and will be enjoyed by mountain bikers for years to come. We have been enjoying those trails for years and it will be nice that they will now be enjoyed by others who only ride system trails or don't know about them. What a Country!

mtbr member
    Personally I don't have anything bad to say about sections of user-created trails that are adopted but with short sections realigned. Some have added to the user experience. For example, Snake, Skywalker, Gunslinger (now called Chuckwagon) and the top end of Canyon of Fools. The fact that 17 miles of trail is being adopted speaks to the quality of the original construction.

Nice to have Transcept back in the mix as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Personally I don't have anything bad to say about sections of user-created trails that are adopted but with short sections realigned. Some have added to the user experience. For example, Snake, Skywalker, Gunslinger (now called Chuckwagon) and the top end of Canyon of Fools. The fact that 17 miles of trail is being adopted speaks to the quality of the original construction.

Nice to have Transcept back in the mix as well.
    Rockman I like the way the RRRD has become the poster child for getting large trail systems built using the Categorical Exclusion process which reduces cost and speeds up the construction process. I think the current people in charge learned from Jennifer Burns on how to reduce the bureaucratic process.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Rockman I like the way the RRRD has become the poster child for getting large trail systems built using the Categorical Exclusion process which reduces cost and speeds up the construction process. I think the current people in charge learned from Jennifer Burns on how to reduce the bureaucratic process.
    Sedona is lucky to not have owls in the mix.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    OK the other day I saw Plumber Phil driving through the Oregano's parking lot with three dogs in his car on his way to his favorite doggy swim hole. I flagged him down and asked him if he was getting ready to build the Western Gateway trails in August. He informed me that the start of construction might start in January 2019.

I was a little disappointed by the slow process of getting the new trails built, but I am happy that the current trails to be adopted are still legal to ride. Without all those user-created trails riding in Sedona would suck. What a Country!

mtbr member
    I heard Nov. They might be doing Transcept first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I heard Nov. They might be doing Transcept first.
    I thought PP was a good information source, but apparently you have a better source. Good to here they are starting earlier then what I had heard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    SB2; Sedona Rocks!
    You continue to keep their feet to the fire in Sedona; congratulations!! I will look forward to ridin some legal trails this Fall!
    If only every venue had a SB2, otr that guy that used to be around; Trail Doc RIP; What a Country! and 4.1% GDP.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    INFORMATIVE video: 400 miles of trails, WORLD CLASS mountain biking destination, eroding soils (especially on the super steep cliff areas), no idea how many users on the trails, Dry Creek area is not in the Wilderness.