banned

Sedona Triple H Ride Information Up for Discussion

I have been trying to come up with a timeline to do the Saturday 3/13 Sedona Triple H Ride. The goal is to be back to Bike & Bean by 3:30 PM, so here is my current aggressive timeline estimate by intersection.

Intersection Time

Bike & Bean 03:30 PM

Slim Shady/Templeton 03:00 PM

Baldwin/H……E 02:15 PM

Slim Shady/H…..E 01:15 PM

Yavapi Parking Lot on the west side of
    Hwy 179 across from Bell Rock 01:00 PM

Little Horse Trailhead on Hwy. 179 12:30 PM

Broken Arrow Trailhead at end of Morgan Rd. 10:30 AM

Huckabee Parking Lot After Riding Hangover 10:00 AM

Cow Pies Trailhead and Schnebly Hill Rd. 08:00 AM

Huckabee Parking Lot Start of Ride 07:30 AM

I need help from those that have ridden all three Triple H (Hangover, Hogs and H…..E) to determine how optimistic I am being in accomplishing this ride by the 3:30 end time at Bike & Bean. I have started the ride at 7:30 AM rather than 9:30 AM and ended the ride at Bike & Bean one half hour later than what Chad would like to see.

For those riders who can’t make the earlier start time for Hangover, and still want to ride the Hogs and H….E, they can meet the group at the Broken Arrow Trailhead at the End of Morgan Rd. at 10:30 AM. If they want to start riding earlier they could park their cars at the Little Horse Trailhead off Hwy. 179 and ride over to the Broken Arrow trailhead via the Neighborhood Trail to Mystic to Morgan Road.

I would like to extend the invitation to those people who can sleep in their vehicles or camp on my deck to stay at my house Friday night before the ride. We can do a pot luck at my place Friday night or you can give me $5.00 for a barbecue chicken dinner, you bring your own beverage.

Please let me know your thoughts.

TD

mtbr member
    All right since it's open for discussion I think you guys are crazy

A loop, fig8 or whatever with H...E and the Hogs will take 5 or 6 hours with a large group. Folks are going to want to session stuff, take pictures, fix flats, etc. The logistics involved with HO (riding the road or shuttling) doesn't seem worth it. I know they all start with H and that's kinda cool but why not just add in another trail like Witch Doctor. Almost as cool and call it good. Make sure the dowhhill part of Slim Shady is in the mix. It's no fun riding with a time constraint especially for the pro core set with slower riders holding it up because they're walking stuff or whatever.

Why not save HO for another day, esp if you can add in the other cool stuff tucked back in there like Damifino, do, don't, brewpub, and lavitra? Just say'in.

mtbr member
    I say go for it and split up the group. Fast guys who don't take pics, middle guys who walk thier bikes down tech stuff and the last who take pics and have flats. Ya I know I'm abrubt, but somebody has to be.
    SHITBIRD

banned
    I agree with both well thoght out responses. I am hoping that helimech, chalkpaw and zul can do the Triple H and I could do the other Hogs and H....E with the othe group. Throwing in Pyramid Witch Doctor could be an option.

What is going to be a realistic start time for both groups?

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    I agree with both well thoght out responses. I am hoping that helimech, chalkpaw and zul can do the Triple H and I could do the other Hogs and H....E with the othe group. Throwing in Pyramid Witch Doctor could be an option.

What is going to be a realistic start time for both groups?

TD
    Way a minute, I didn't say which group I'm in . How would you get over to Pyramid? from Baldwin?
    Oh ya, forgot to tell ya. NICE WORK ON TEMPLETIN, somebody did a bunch of rock work. Good job. Enel almost cleaned the climb out from the river. Couldn't make it up the last tough rock section, but made the tight SB using his mad skills.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If the weather holds im going to do the triple H loop friday. Last week myself and ckalkpaw did munds, cowpie, damifino, brew pub, hangover, munds. Then drove to broken arrow and did a figure eight out to the chapel via the hogs. It took us about 5 and a half hours. I hate riding on the road, so I personally have no interest in riding between trail heads. Having said that, I think its very possible to do the triple H link up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by camjam
    If the weather holds im going to do the triple H loop friday. Last week myself and ckalkpaw did munds, cowpie, damifino, brew pub, hangover, munds. Then drove to broken arrow and did a figure eight out to the chapel via the hogs. It took us about 5 and a half hours. I hate riding on the road, so I personally have no interest in riding between trail heads. Having said that, I think its very possible to do the triple H link up.
    What would be your proposed start time to make it to Bike & Bean by 3:00 or 3:30 PM.

TD

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    My vote:

Start at the bottom of Scheb Rd at 8:00am. Even if riders don't make all three legs, they'll get Hangover and the Hogs. Worst case scenerio for sinking B level riders will be coasting to the Bike & Bean via Bell Rock Pathway ... which would be a great ride. As mentioned by Heli, the pack will split naturally into 2 or 3 groups.

This is Doc's ride and I'd like to see him roll into the Bean at 3:30pm to some proper fan fare. Man, you deserve to bag this one.

The lasting logistic is getting riders back to cars post ride??
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Way a minute, I didn't say which group I'm in . How would you get over to Pyramid? from Baldwin?
    Oh ya, forgot to tell ya. NICE WORK ON TEMPLETIN, somebody did a bunch of rock work. Good job. Enel almost cleaned the climb out from the river. Couldn't make it up the last tough rock section, but made the tight SB using his mad skills.
    Red Rock Crossing of course. When the water is low enough, you can walk over rocks at a certain point to bridge the two areas. It is pretty lame though that there's not a real bridge.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't wait to ride the HHH race.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Pwning Trails
    Need a school bus parked at bike and bean to haul peeps back.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Red Rock Crossing of course. When the water is low enough, you can walk over rocks at a certain point to bridge the two areas. It is pretty lame though that there's not a real bridge.
    How's about Red Rock State Park. There is a high water foot bridge there of course.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I can't wait to ride the HHH race.
    You are so jayem.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    How's about Red Rock State Park. There is a high water foot bridge there of course.
    Or that. The few times that I've bridge the two areas I just go across the first series of rocks that looks good, so I never made it down to the bridge, although I know where that park is.

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    I say go for it and split up the group. Fast guys who don't take pics, middle guys who walk thier bikes down tech stuff and the last who take pics and have flats. Ya I know I'm abrubt, but somebody has to be.
    So what about guys like me, that can ride all the tech stuff but are slow on the climbs?

Why do we have to be at B&B at 3:30? Why is that end time so important?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    So what about guys like me, that can ride all the tech stuff but are slow on the climbs?

Why do we have to be at B&B at 3:30? Why is that end time so important?
    PB:

You make a good point. We have been asked to be back to Bike & Bean by 3:00 PM. I figured we could get away with riding in at 3:30 PM. I personally would like to do the whole ride and don't mind coming in later if it is OK with Chad.

I think the main reason is to get back by 3:00 PM is to have the whole Spring Fling Group get a chance to meet, press the flesh and have beer and pizza.

TD

mtbr member
    Hey, its fashionable to be late at all Sedona events. No matter where folks end up at pizza call there will be plenty of flingers out on that whole section of trail system to help any stragglers back to camp with promises of Oak Creek Amber. Hey, its not like Moab where on an epic ride you are miles from anywhere. needing rescue and navigating skills for those who visit from places like the UK... Graham, are you coming or what?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

banned

Will You Enjoy Doing to Triple H Ride????????

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Hey, its fashionable to be late at all Sedona events. No matter where folks end up at pizza call there will be plenty of flingers out on that whole section of trail system to help any stragglers back to camp with promises of Oak Creek Amber. Hey, its not like Moab where on an epic ride you are miles from anywhere. needing rescue and navigating skills for those who visit from places like the UK... Graham, are you coming or what?
    OK, I agree with that, so I won't worry about those that are lagging behind. My main concern with this ride is whether the riders are qualified skill wise to ride the Triple H.

Early on in the ride Cow Pies will definitely be the section of trail that will give each rider a feel for whether they are over their head technically or have a fear of exposure that will wig them out later in the ride.

If a less skilled rider is fit, has good riding judgment, is wearing rubber soled shoes and doesn't mind doing several hundred yards of hike-a-bike over 25 miles of riding then I would say they could do this ride. Since fit, less skilled riders, with good judgment can usually keep up with less fit skilled riders, my hope is they can enjoy the ride.

If a rider is less fit and not skilled enough to keep up with the main group they have two options: they need to turn around and ride back down Munds to the Huckabee parking lot to hook-up for the rest of the ride (if they want to), or they can continue on Hangover at their own pace and get left behind. Hangover has sections that are hard to follow so be prepared to do some exploring.

The rest of the ride has a few sections more technical than Cow Pies and a lot of slightly less technical sections than Cow Pies, so it will serve as a good spot to determine if one will enjoy walking or riding the rest of the ride.

TD

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Hey for sure I'll be there. I may dip on the whole shebang and join along the way - see how the legs are holding up as I definately fall into the slow camp! At least I know my way around most of the system there - you are right in that we picked up stragglers on the return leg last time
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Monocog Masher
    I can see a whole nother "sweat lodge" incident brewing - Chad pressuring people to ride technical sections above their skill level, and the next thing you know he is sitting in jail with a $5,000,000 bond.

I love bike!
    Doc. About how many miles of the 25 would be cut off if one chose to skip the Hangover portion of the ride and pick up the rest? Would the best place to meet still be at the Huckabee lot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor-y-Foel
    I definately fall into the slow camp! At least I know my way around most of the system there
    You can't fool me, I know better . Are you doing millie? Need a lift down there? See ya soon.
    SHITBIRD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Doc. About how many miles of the 25 would be cut off if one chose to skip the Hangover portion of the ride and pick up the rest? Would the best place to meet still be at the Huckabee lot?
    DM:

I think the mileage from the Huckabee parking lot to the Huckabee parking lot would be around 7 to 8 miles. There would not be a real good reason to meet at the Huckabee parking lot if you don't do Hangover since it is a pavement ride to the Broken Arrow parking lot.

There is a wilderness trail that is called Marges Draw (Sp?) that goes from Huckabee to Broken Arrow, but due to some screw up in the early days it was deemed wilderness even though it is right next to residential premises.

If you wanted to do some techy riding for 1 1/2 hours before the Broken Arrow hook-up you could park at the Mystic/Chaple Road trailhead and ride up to the Chaple Trail over to Little Horse up to Chicken Point down Broken Arrow to the Broken Arrow/Morgan Road trailhead.

TD

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Today's Triple H with CamJam, while JP Nuts got his first taste of HO.

Post ride thoughts:
    This ride is long and demanding. Not that Doc didn't mention this already, but it really is LONG and it really is DEMANDING.

Needed: A Rider technicall skills.
    Needed: A+ Rider Fitness Level.
    Needed: Lots of food and water.

Total Ride Time = 8 hours.

We took 20-30 minute breaks between sections and I don't think that I could have completed it without substantial breaks (at least one).

Trail selection:
    Hangover (20 min break)
    Hogs, Chapel, Hogs, double loop (30 min break)
    Shades, H ... E, Baldwin, Templeton, EZ Breezey, HT, Shades

CamJam and I put together a good set of loops. There are several options and each bail-out looked better than the one before (toooo tempting). Even while adding as much food/water as possible along the way, I reached my limit near the end of the second Hog loop. More food, a second break and another set of trails: Somehow we bounced back enough to climb H ... E and finish the deal. Like the wife on a too long road trip, CamJam didn't speak to me on the last third of the ride.

Overall: Suggesting that only Chad and 5 or 6 of his croonies should really ride all three legs. The rest of us 'regular fit people' should pick 2 and be happy with a double HH.

Of course, I can say that because I bagged all 3 today.
    Thanks to CamJam for the 2nd half PUSH.

(Insert: feather in cap)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would be willing to go and do this ride this week, maybe Thursday. I consider myself to be a intermediate/novice rider with decent cardio, so it would probably be a decent barometer of how this trail would go for the less conditioned or less skilled.
    Trail Doc, explain to me the hogs figure 8 thats going to be done so I could do it appropriately. Is it starting at broken arrow trailhead, hitting the hogs, than riding back on broken arrow to chicken point and from there over to HT to slim shady to H.......E, to Baldwin, templeton, slim shady, bike and bean? I'm sure I left out some connectors but this is the gist right?

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    I would be willing to go and do this ride this week, maybe Thursday. I consider myself to be a intermediate/novice rider with decent cardio, so it would probably be a decent barometer of how this trail would go for the less conditioned or less skilled.
    Trail Doc, explain to me the hogs figure 8 thats going to be done so I could do it appropriately. Is it starting at broken arrow trailhead, hitting the hogs, than riding back on broken arrow to chicken point and from there over to HT to slim shady to H.......E, to Baldwin, templeton, slim shady, bike and bean? I'm sure I left out some connectors but this is the gist right?
    Finding the Hog trail(s) is difficult. Like most, the enterance is hidden by sandstone (ie there is no 'trail' for the first 1/4 mile). Once you get on it, you'll be able to follow it. There is a split on the downhill side where you can make it into a figure 8 loop (taking the climb twice). On the second loop, split left and left again. This will place you on the new section, Schezwaujn Chicken to Mystic to Chapel to HT and onto the Shades. Then H ... E.

I'll be working Thursday. Perhaps Doc can lend some additional advice or lead up a ride with you.

Either way, good luck and maybe we'll hook up for some riding?!!

mtbr member
    zul nailed it.

There's no way to pull off a big group ride that hits the triple H. Yes, there are some riders
    that can do it. But even if you put all the best riders into a big group to do it, the very
    nature of "big groups" collectively slows the pace. Mechs, food-breaks, cactus-watering,
    BS-ing, etc...it all adds up. Personally, I don't like breaks that last more than 5 minutes.

I'd be happy just doing a double H that skips HO. Yeah, I love HO, but it's out on its own,
    geographically, right?

I'd rather see a set up for a double-H ride that had HO as a "bonus loop" at the end for any
    riders that wanted to pull the triple. Heck, last time we did something similar, we shuttled
    the gap between HO and the other trails - driving to the Schnebly Rd parking area and
    riding the Munds/Cow Pies/HO loop.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks, i'm fairly familiar with the hogs so I'll give it a shot. Actually I'm gonna do this Wednesday if anyone wants in. I'll prolly start at 9 or so.

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    I'd be happy just doing a double H that skips HO. Yeah, I love HO, but it's out on its own,geographically, right?

I'd rather see a set up for a double-H ride that had HO as a "bonus loop" at the end for any
    riders that wanted to pull the triple.
    That's what I was thinking. I don't think I have the fitness to do all three so was planning on just doing Hogs and H....E, since I've done Hangover several times already.
    I vote for a Double H ride and skip Hangover.

I love bike!
    That's what I was thinking. I don't think I have the fitness to do all three so was planning on just doing Hogs and H....E, since I've done Hangover several times already.
    +3

Kathleen in AZ
    Is anyone else who knows these trails willing to be a leader? It would be nice to split what is sure to be a massive cluster into smaller groups which either leave at different times or maybe do the two H's in reverse order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    or maybe do the two H's in reverse order.

Head-on train wreck!

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

Just another half mile...
    Hey DG, since I know you can read a MAP, you can lead the Ohio boys around. I would lead, but I will be up in Powder Moutain that weekend. You already know the hogs, and Highline is not that diffcult to find.

Is anyone else who knows these trails willing to be a leader? It would be nice to split what is sure to be a massive cluster into smaller groups which either leave at different times or maybe do the two H's in reverse order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just did the novice run through of the triple H to give a good gauge for time. I'm a pretty new rider having just started in September and I had a guy with me who started in November, granted we ride nearly every day and are used to sedona terrain. Started with hangover with Zul. Thanks Zul for all the good advice and company. After finishing that drove to Broken arrow trailhead and rode up to the hogs, descended the switch backs and took a left at the T onto mystic looking for Szechwan Chicken (wanted to try a new trail). Didnt find it, took mystic to the chapel, took chapel trail to little horse, to HT to slim shady, to h...e, to baldwin, to templeton, back to slim shady, over to bike and bean. Started the ride at 930 and finished at 345, 6 hours and 15 minutes. Felt good all the way through although the last 3rd was a battle. For newer or poorly conditioned riders this will be a challenge. The exposure on hangover will not be for everybody, little mistakes can have big consequences. Plenty of bail points between sections, which I think will be utilized by a few for sure. Those that stick with it will have a great ride to remember. I didn't have a odometer on me but it felt like over 20 miles. Bring plenty of food and water. See ya'll on the 13th

Maui Grown
    I know Helimech knows the trails but haven't talked to him yet, so I don't know if he plans to do all 3 or not. Hell-a-Mike, you out there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey guys,

was planning on coming out from with some friends Albuquerque that weekend and saw your ride as an alternative to the Endurance series ride (it would make more sense as the beginning of a 3-day weekend). I'm a reasonably experienced (20 years) rider but don't really like to get too 'rad'- my drop limit is probably closer to 1' than 2'. I am in good shape and a good technical rider, though, so have a couple of questions:
    * I don't want to kill myself- as a good rider who can clean most all of the bottom of Porcupine Rim but still wears Lycra, will I be over my head?
    * Which bike? 5in frame with 120-150mm fork or 6.5in travel frame with 150mm travel fork? Both pedal well but the shorter travel bike pedals better and I can clean more technical sections with that one.

Any feedback would be helpful- we were going to head out there on Saturday morning, but I've got Friday off so could make the effort. Thanks,

marc

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The trails here are way better built than that junk @ the bottom of Porcupine. Trails here are rideable but require a sharp focus and require commitment. Sedona trails have more technical challenges in a mile than you can shake a stick at. A squishy bike will be more pleasureable, I'm on a DW Spot. And I wear lycra still because I can't wear it out, stuff weathers the cactus & slick rock.
    Its hard riding here and it sucks your resources both pysically & mentally. Keep your head down and take care of yourself and you will finish the ride.
    Of the 3 Hs I say that Hangover is the most challenging and more exposed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bikefix
    * Which bike? 5in frame with 120-150mm fork or 6.5in travel frame with 150mm travel fork? Both pedal well but the shorter travel bike pedals better and I can clean more technical sections with that one.
    The shorter travel, lighter bike will be fine. Really.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

As EP said, you will be fine on a shorter travel bike. I have ridden both my 6" travel Six-Pack adn my 4" travel Sultan on HL and the Hogs and prefer my Sutan because it climbs much better since there is a lot of climbing.

The shorter travel, lighter bike will be fine. Really.

mtbr member
    Today's Triple H with CamJam, while JP Nuts got his first taste of HO.

Post ride thoughts:
    This ride is long and demanding. Not that Doc didn't mention this already, but it really is LONG and it really is DEMANDING.

Needed: A Rider technicall skills.
    Needed: A+ Rider Fitness Level.
    Needed: Lots of food and water.

Total Ride Time = 8 hours.

We took 20-30 minute breaks between sections and I don't think that I could have completed it without substantial breaks (at least one).

Trail selection:
    Hangover (20 min break)
    Hogs, Chapel, Hogs, double loop (30 min break)
    Shades, H ... E, Baldwin, Templeton, EZ Breezey, HT, Shades

CamJam and I put together a good set of loops. There are several options and each bail-out looked better than the one before (toooo tempting). Even while adding as much food/water as possible along the way, I reached my limit near the end of the second Hog loop. More food, a second break and another set of trails: Somehow we bounced back enough to climb H ... E and finish the deal. Like the wife on a too long road trip, CamJam didn't speak to me on the last third of the ride.

Overall: Suggesting that only Chad and 5 or 6 of his croonies should really ride all three legs. The rest of us 'regular fit people' should pick 2 and be happy with a double HH.

Of course, I can say that because I bagged all 3 today.
    Thanks to CamJam for the 2nd half PUSH.

(Insert: feather in cap)
    Nice job completing what sounds like a killer ride. Is the route you took the same or pretty similar to the one Traildoc is proposing for the 13th? If so.... it would be very difficult for a big group to complete that in less that 10 hrs if it took two strong riders 8 hours.

How is rancidmeat's route different from yours? Looks like they're pretty similar but he only took 6 hours to complete? That's pretty good for a novice. Maybe his route would be better. Or did I miss something (which I usually do)?

I'm only about 50/50 as to whether I'll make it down for this ride (and haven't done any of the H's, let alone all three) so my suggestions aren't really valid, but I agree with those who suggested doing Hangover either early (like FIP at 7:30 or 8:00) then meet up with the main group for the Hogs and H.....E at 9:30 or 10:000...... (Aside: If Hangover starts and ends at Huckaby trailhead on Schnebly Rd, why not just meet there and end there. Then drive back to the meet up spot for Hogs at the Broken Arrow trailhead on Morgan road?)
    Or do the Hogs/ H......E combo first and leave the die hards to shuttle back up to Munds to do Hangover if there's still time and legs and willing participants at the end.

My preference would be the former if Hangover is the more technical and has greater consequences for not being on your game.

I can get beer and pizza even here at home..... I can't get awesome Sedona singletrack up here so would give up the Bike and Bean meet and greet for more riding if it came to that. Are they willing to move the party back to 4:00 or 5:00pm?

Thanks for all you're doing TD and others to set this up. I'm sure it's a monumental PITB and I, for one, really appreciate it. I would also happily go along with whatever you decide is the best option after hearing all suggestions.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006

That is kinda what I had in mind - could even start at B & B and ride down the Shades etc to the Broken Arrow trailhead to save shuttling back for cars.

mtbr member
    I signed up to lead one of the groups wanting to do the whole thing. Oh boy, do I have something to show YOU!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Nice job completing what sounds like a killer ride. Is the route you took the same or pretty similar to the one Traildoc is proposing for the 13th? If so.... it would be very difficult for a big group to complete that in less that 10 hrs if it took two strong riders 8 hours.

How is rancidmeat's route different from yours? Looks like they're pretty similar but he only took 6 hours to complete? That's pretty good for a novice. Maybe his route would be better. Or did I miss something (which I usually do)?

Thx KRob - Our route was slightly different in a few ways. Overall, there have only been 3 groups that have done the Triple H ride (that I know of) and all 3 ended with the same conclusion: The third leg was a stretch. It becomes an endurance fitness ride.

I still think it's a good idea for an A++ ride. The concern is group size on the A++.

Reading through this post, I'm wondering if there is demand for a B ride (Double H)?

Elrancho66 & Mark G have a great ride plan for B riders, but it is listed as a Single Speed ride. Should this be considered a SS only ride or would 6" geared bikes fit in here? It is a great loop and includes Double H from the Village to the Bean (ie. no logistical problems with car movement). I LIKE IT !!

More than anything, WHERE IS DOC ON ALL THIS >>??

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob

I'm only about 50/50 as to whether I'll make it down for this ride (and haven't done any of the H's, let alone all three) so my suggestions aren't really valid, but I agree with those who suggested doing Hangover either early (like FIP at 7:30 or 8:00) then meet up with the main group for the Hogs and H.....E at 9:30 or 10:000...... (Aside: If Hangover starts and ends at Huckaby trailhead on Schnebly Rd, why not just meet there and end there. Then drive back to the meet up spot for Hogs at the Broken Arrow trailhead on Morgan road?)
    Or do the Hogs/ H......E combo first and leave the die hards to shuttle back up to Munds to do Hangover if there's still time and legs and willing participants at the end.

My preference would be the former if Hangover is the more technical and has greater consequences for not being on your game.

I can get beer and pizza even here at home..... I can't get awesome Sedona singletrack up here so would give up the Bike and Bean meet and greet for more riding if it came to that. Are they willing to move the party back to 4:00 or 5:00pm?

Thanks for all you're doing TD and others to set this up. I'm sure it's a monumental PITB and I, for one, really appreciate it. I would also happily go along with whatever you decide is the best option after hearing all suggestions.
    I believe that the main difference between our routes was that I only did the hogs to mystic, skipping hog wash and the second broken arrow climb. This would tack on another 30 to 45 minutes for sure. My ride was unique in the sense that my riding partner had the ride of his life, the kid was a slave driver from start to finish. We took one 30 minute break in between HO and hogs but stopped very little besides that. It was fun but I was ready for it to be over coming into the 4th hour. It took brute will power to continue on. That being said, I can't wait to do it again.

I love bike!
    Reading through this post, I'm wondering if there is demand for a B ride (Double H)?

Elrancho66 & Mark G have a great ride plan for B riders, but it is listed as a Single Speed ride. Should this be considered a SS only ride or would 6" geared bikes fit in here? It is a great loop and includes Double H from the Village to the Bean (ie. no logistical problems with car movement). I LIKE IT !!
    I LIKE IT TOO!!! I think there would be a good turnout for this ride. Don't leave us 6" full-squishies out.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Quote Originally Posted by rancidmeat1
    I believe that the main difference between our routes was that I only did the hogs to mystic, skipping hog wash and the second broken arrow climb. This would tack on another 30 to 45 minutes for sure. My ride was unique in the sense that my riding partner had the ride of his life, the kid was a slave driver from start to finish. We took one 30 minute break in between HO and hogs but stopped very little besides that. It was fun but I was ready for it to be over coming into the 4th hour. It took brute will power to continue on. That being said, I can't wait to do it again.
    Ride Time Guesstimates:
    6.5 hours with 1 loop over the hogs and 1 break.
    7.5 hours with 2 Hog loops and 1 break.

Forest was a man possesed. It is rare to see someone riding above the ability of their bike. For a young pup, he took care of buisness on HO. Kudos to ya both.
    Last edited by zul; 03-05-2010 at 09:07 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007

B+ Singlespeed Sedona ride 3/13 INFO

Thx KRob - Our route was slightly different in a few ways. Overall, there have only been 3 groups that have done the Triple H ride (that I know of) and all 3 ended with the same conclusion: The third leg was a stretch. It becomes an endurance fitness ride.

I still think it's a good idea for an A++ ride. The concern is group size on the A++.

More than anything, WHERE IS DOC ON ALL THIS >>??
    Zul, my SS ride is open to geared 6" bikes also or any other type of mt bike.I'm riding my Full Squish (4") Kona A singlespeed. Last year's ride had an almost even split between SS and geared bikes when we were done sussing out where folks wanted to ride and for how long,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm trying to keep the group under 10 riders so we can cruise along at a good pace and complete the intended loop as planned.My ride will be an advanced ride both in regards to fitness level and technical skills. I think TD is still on vacation from his "real life", and wherever that might be, he must not have internet access

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    I think TD is still on vacation from his "real life", and wherever that might be, he must not have internet access
    He might be heading back from the west coast as we speak but remember he doesn't drive past 55. And there are a lot of Burger King stops along the way

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Update and Information

Unfortunately, it is my job to relate some news about Doc. He called me last night after spending 4 days in the hospital. The good news is that he has made it through a real rough spell.

While riding in the SF Bay area, he was unlucky enough to move a blood clot from his leg to his lungs. This sort of deal is often fatal. So the good news is that he’s outta the hospital and on the slow mend. The bad news is that he will not be riding bikes again for … who knows … a while from now.

I’ve challenged him to make it to the Bean for a Spring Fling beer. We’ll see.

2010 Triple H Ride Leaders will be myself, CamJam and ChalkPaw. There are several others who know the route and I will be glad to hear from anyone who is willing to step up and lead up a group of 10 or sweep. Post up if interested.

Here is my current thought … maybe reverse this order?? Input welcome …

Triple H Ride Departures from the Schnebly Road parking lot:
    A- Ride Begins at 8:00am (Zul)
    A Ride Begins at 8:30am (CamJam)
    A+ Ride Begins at 9:00am (ChalkPaw)

We will likely advance cars to the Broken Arrow parking lot (after Hangover) and retrieve cars after the ride. That's the best idea current. More input welcome ...

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, it is my job to relate some news about Doc. He called me last night after spending 4 days in the hospital. The good news is that he has made it through a real rough spell.

While riding in the SF Bay area, he was unlucky enough to move a blood clot from his leg to his lungs. This sort of deal is often fatal. So the good news is that he’s outta the hospital and on the slow mend. The bad news is that he will not be riding bikes again for … who knows … a while from now.
    Damn, that sucks. Heal up TD and best wishes from Mr. and Mrs. Rockman. I look forward to seeing you again on the trails. J.

Bandolero

Mending Point

Sorry to hear that he's having problems but glad that he's recovering. I'm sure he'll be back on the trails soon.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    DAM TD get well homie. Must be that bad air out there in SanFran. I'm sure you'll kick that clot out of ya. Hopefully see ya soon.
    SHITBIRD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Damn, that sucks. Heal up TD and best wishes from Mr. and Mrs. Rockman. I look forward to seeing you again on the trails. J.

Rocky:

Well as Zul mentioned my life has changed BIG TIME.

I went on a bike ride in the Coastal Mountains last Sunday. After ten minutes of riding up an 80' elevation gain paved road, I went from a fairly fit almost 61-year-old to a very old unfit respitorily challenged individual.

I wish could say that I turned around and got in my car, but no I was riding with a buddy and decided to keep going for a three hour ride. I did the same ride a week before and got off my bike once.

This last ride I was off my bike 30 to 50 times on any grade more than 3%. The downhills were fine, but uphill was a killer.

After the ride I called my medical provider and told them I had shortness of breath under load and that I had no chest pain. The provider booked me into a 10:50 AM exam and by 11:50 I was admitted into the Emergency Ward.

The ER doctor asked if I had shortness of breath and chest pains. My answer was no chest pain, but I am sure under load I would have shortness of breathe.

I had soreness in the back of my left leg below the knee so an ultra sound was done in that area. The ultra sound indicated a blood clot was present. The next test was a CAT scan of my lung cavity. When I got back to the ER my doc said, you are one of the lucky ones. This condition would have killed most people.

Apparently if the clot had passed from the lung into the heart you better be close to a trauma center to have any hope of surviving.

Consequently, I was admitted to the cardiac care unit and hooked up to all the monitors imaginable, plus three liters of O2. I was started on an anti-coagulant immediately and was feeling comfortable in bed until about 12:01 AM. at which point I started having level three shortness’ of breath and CHEST PAIN.

Four milligrams of Morphine was administered and the chest pain dropped to a one. At 4 AM, shortness of breath and chest pain went to a seven plus. I thought for sure this was the end of the line. The discomfort was so bad I was ready for pearly gates. Out comes 8 milligrams of morphine to kill the pain. After about ten minutes the pain level was down to a level one.

From that point until very recently I have felt terrible. I was kicked out of the hospital after being there for four days. My young female doctor told me I was being discharged on Thursday. They needed my room for someone stuck in the ER who was closer to death than I was, time to go dude.

OK the future prospects are positive at this point, but how does anyone really know.

Watch out for trauma to the back of your calf below the knee. Thought it was just a sore ligament.

TD

mtbr member
    May 2007

Heal up quickly TD

Rocky:

I went on a bike ride in the Coastal Mountains last Sunday. After ten minutes of riding up an 80' elevation gain paved road, I went from a fairly fit almost 61-year-old to a very old unfit respitorily challenged individual.

I wish could say that I turned around and got in my car, but no I was riding with a buddy and decided to keep going for a three hour ride. I did the same ride a week before and got off my bike once.

This last ride I was off my bike 30 to 50 times on any grade more than 3%. The downhills were fine, but uphill was a killer.

After the ride I called my medical provider and told them I had shortness of breath under load and that I had no chest pain. The provider booked me into a 10:50 AM exam and by 11:50 I was admitted into the Emergency Ward.

The ER doctor asked if I had shortness of breath and chest pains. My answer was no chest pain, but I am sure under load I would have shortness of breathe.

I had soreness in the back of my left leg below the knee so an ultra sound was done in that area. The ultra sound indicated a blood clot was present. The next test was a CAT scan of my lung cavity. When I got back to the ER my doc said, you are one of the lucky ones. This condition would have killed most people.

Apparently if the clot had passed from the lung into the heart you better be close to a trauma center to have any hope of surviving.

Consequently, I was admitted to the cardiac care unit and hooked up to all the monitors imaginable, plus three liters of O2. I was started on an anti-coagulant immediately and was feeling comfortable in bed until about 12:01 AM. at which point I started having level three shortness’ of breath and CHEST PAIN.

Four milligrams of Morphine was administered and the chest pain dropped to a one. At 4 AM, shortness of breath and chest pain went to a seven plus. I thought for sure this was the end of the line. The discomfort was so bad I was ready for pearly gates. Out comes 8 milligrams of morphine to kill the pain. After about ten minutes the pain level was down to a level one.

From that point until very recently I have felt terrible. I was kicked out of the hospital after being there for four days. My young female doctor told me I was being discharged on Thursday. They needed my room for someone stuck in the ER who was closer to death than I was, time to go dude.

OK the future prospects are positive at this point, but how does anyone really know.

Watch out for trauma to the back of your calf below the knee. Thought it was just a sore ligament.

TD
    Glad you're still with us TD, get well soon,,,,,,,,,,hope to see you on the trails soon and maybe at B n B Saturday 2 Wheels Good

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow! Your really lucky, with the increased cardiac demand you were putting on yourself and your distance from medical help, a busted clot hitting your heart would have been catastrophic. Between your heart, brain, and lungs it picked the best spot to lodge. Of course a pulmonary embolism isn't exactly small potatos. They gonna keep you on blood thinners for good? I'm sorry to hear your having to go thru that, but at least you made it thru the worst of it. Take care and rest up, things will get better. You'll be back on the trails in due time

mtbr member
    Wow! Too close. TD, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Here is my current thought … maybe reverse this order?? Input welcome …

Triple H Ride Departures from the Schnebly Road parking lot:
    A- Ride Begins at 8:00am (Zul)
    A Ride Begins at 8:30am (CamJam)
    A+ Ride Begins at 9:00am (ChalkPaw)

We will likely advance cars to the Broken Arrow parking lot (after Hangover) and retrieve cars after the ride. That's the best idea current. More input welcome ...

Zul, I have some concerns about trying to park that many cars at the Schnebly Road
    parking lot. Last few years, we have had a huge number of vehicles when we parked at the
    IGA in Oak Creek. If this year is anything like the last (and I bet it will be), then I think we'll
    completely overflow the Schnebly Road parking lot.

I still think starting in Oak Creek and first doing the other two "H"s is the way to go. I'm
    sure there will be less people that have the gas-tank to make it a triple (by adding HO to
    the end) and this will mean that there are fewer cars at the Schnebly Road parking lot
    when the die hards shuttle up to hit HO.

It would also make it easier for the post-ride social event to get kicked off.

Just my "welcome input".
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

Elitest thrill junkie
    I haven't been following AZSF much this year, but I hope you recover quickly TD! Glad to hear you made it through the roughest part.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Wow! Too close. TD, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Zul, I have some concerns about trying to park that many cars at the Schnebly Road
    parking lot. Last few years, we have had a huge number of vehicles when we parked at the
    IGA in Oak Creek. If this year is anything like the last (and I bet it will be), then I think we'll
    completely overflow the Schnebly Road parking lot.

I still think starting in Oak Creek and first doing the other two "H"s is the way to go. I'm
    sure there will be less people that have the gas-tank to make it a triple (by adding HO to
    the end) and this will mean that there are fewer cars at the Schnebly Road parking lot
    when the die hards shuttle up to hit HO.

It would also make it easier for the post-ride social event to get kicked off.

Just my "welcome input".
    Agree. Schnebly isn't all that big, and even during years where the Sedona ride was "canceled" we would have still easily filled up that lot with the number of people riding. There are way better options for overflow in Oak Creek.

Kathleen in AZ
    TD
    Whoa! I'm so glad you are still with us TD. You've gone from being a button-pushing royal PITA on this board a few years ago to being one of the most beloved and respected posters of today. I'm so very sorry to hear of your bump in the road... here's hoping you are soon back to good health. Lots of peeps are rooting for you. Hope to see you at B&B on Saturday!!

mtbr member
    Doc, you are one lucky duck my friend. Sorry to hear the bad news. Rest up, recover well and my thoughts are with you.

In so far as people, cars, and bikes go for our little expedition....
    I'm looking for a pickup and enclosed trailer to haul bikes from VOC to Schnebly TH Saturday morning. Then looking to have the PJT shuttle bus to take riders to the same location. Maybe it would cost each rider $5 but would simplify the vehicle process. That way all vehicles don't have to be strung out everywhere. Stay tuned...

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    I'm looking for a pickup and enclosed trailer to haul bikes from VOC to Schnebly TH Saturday morning. Then looking to have the PJT shuttle bus to take riders to the same location. Maybe it would cost each rider $5 but would simplify the vehicle process. That way all vehicles don't have to be strung out everywhere. Stay tuned...
    Nice!!! If you can get the PJT Shuttle rolling for the return, we'd be all set. You da MAN!!!

There is a ton of parking up on Schnebly. The first section of dirt road has plenty of shoulder space for overflow parking.

Still feeling that there is a need for another B ride ...

mtbr member
    OK - well someone point me to a map of Hog and I'll lead a ride that starts in Oak Creek.

Someone else here that knows Hog want to co-lead an A+ ride out of Oak Creek? (Yes,
    I'll slow down and keep it an A+ ride )
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Also keep in mind that many of those cars on Schnebly won't have a red rock pass on a 66F day. That lot is the only place I've been hassled for not having one of late.

Elrancho66 wanted to preview and consider options for his B ride so Mrs. Rockman and I chased his ss-sorry-ass around a Double H on Sat. We parked at the lower Mystic TH and did a fig. 8 utilizing the most direct route possible (ie., The Sleazys instead of Templeton and we cut through the neigborhood instead of hitting chapel). We finished on Hog Wash to the cemetary and back to the car.

This verion of Double H was 16.2 miles. 6.5 avs and nearly 2000' elevation gain. With a couple of breaks and a food stop at the top of H..E the total riding timewas 4.5 hours. Add another 2 or 3 miles if riding from VOC and at least another hour or two for the usual group shenanigans. Have fun ya'll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Triple H Ride Information Up for Discussion-he1.jpg  

Sedona Triple H Ride Information Up for Discussion-he2.jpg  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Also keep in mind that many of those cars on Schnebly won't have a red rock pass on a 66F day. That lot is the only place I've been hassled for not having one of late.

Elrancho66 wanted to preview and consider options for his B ride so Mrs. Rockman and I chased his ss-sorry-ass around a Double H on Sat. We parked at the lower Mystic TH and did a fig. 8 utilizing the most direct route possible (ie., The Sleazys instead of Templeton and we cut through the neigborhood instead of hitting chapel). We finished on Hog Wash to the cemetary and back to the car.

This verion of Double H was 16.2 miles. 6.5 avs and nearly 2000' elevation gain. With a couple of breaks and a food stop at the top of H..E the total riding timewas 4.5 hours. Add another 2 or 3 miles if riding from VOC and at least another hour or two for the usual group shenanigans. Have fun ya'll.
    Rocky:

Good Intel. Your wife is looking GOOD, where's the Mojo?

TD

mtbr member
    Rocky:

Good Intel. Your wife is looking GOOD, where's the Mojo?

TD
    Wifey did pretty good for her 2nd ride in 3 months. I've been waiting on hubs. I just had to have Hadley. A european distributor pretty much cleaned them out for the winter which is ok because we've mainly been skiing anyway.

I hope you're feeling better. When are you coming back to the sunshine state?

Dave
    Heal up TD, sorry to hear your near death experience. Hope to see you at B&B for a beer.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    PM sent.

OK - well someone point me to a map of Hog and I'll lead a ride that starts in Oak Creek.

Someone else here that knows Hog want to co-lead an A+ ride out of Oak Creek? (Yes,
    i never thought i'd be 43 and living here......i kinda wanted to be a rockstar..." Mark Hendershot

HERE is a great Double H loop perfect for the flingers. Fairly easy to follow. I can send you a GPX file of the loop. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Rocky:

TD
    Our eighty-something neighbor went down with something similar while playing handball a few months ago. He was on rat poison (his terminology for anti-coagulants) for a few weeks and looked pretty bad but now he's pretty much back to his normal self.

Get well soon. I really like your posts and descriptions of the trails around Sedona, even though I tend to stay around home.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Holy smoke doc - that was far too close. So pleased to hear you came out the right side of it. Here's to a speedy recovery and hope to see you next week if you can make B & B

1 bike to ride them all
    DOC! Super glad that you're o.k. I can't believe that I ended up finding out about it here. Anything I can do?

1 bike to ride them all
    Hola zul, Chalkpaw, and Rockman - There are about 9 parking spaces available in front of and beside my shop (Sedona Memories is closed Sat). I won't be using the spots as I'm making the ultimate sacrifice... and closing the shop to ride with you dirtbags

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIANBACON
    Hola zul, Chalkpaw, and Rockman - There are about 9 parking spaces available in front of and beside my shop (Sedona Memories is closed Sat). I won't be using the spots as I'm making the ultimate sacrifice... and closing the shop to ride with you dirtbags
    I'll be up riding some of Bikedoc's old haunts: Little Creek and Gooseberry this weekend otherwise I'd love to meet some mtbr folks. And perhaps dip a chopstick into Sechuan Chicken When is the grand opening? It looks pretty tasty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    HERE is a great Double H loop perfect for the flingers. Fairly easy to follow. I can send you a GPX file of the loop. Let me know.
    Thanks, Dale. I have the map printed out.

I could only use the GPX if I'd taken the time to practice how to use my Garmin to do
    anything but just record tracks. (DOH!) I don't think leading a ride is the appropriate time
    to try something new.

So, imagine that I'm heading up Broken Arrow from Chicken Point. Can you give me some
    visual clues to describe where High on the Hog starts and then where Hog Wash splits off?

PM me if you think this intel is more sensitive to forum-sweeping than the already
    published map (though at this point, I don't know that it matters).

EDIT: started a new HH thread to split off from the HHH thread. See:
    Sedona Double H ride (version EP) info
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 03-09-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Get better soon TD, we need our leader in Dona!!!!!!

Let see if I can remember. As you are climbing up, you eventually get to a technical climb up a little ravine that has a tight switchback at the top. It's past that and past the next slickrock area that the jeeps roll around on. The next little slickrock area past the jeep area I think is the place to turn off. Here is the GPS coordinate of the turnoff, and you should be able to manually input that into your GPS. Easiest way is to mark a way point and then edit the point and enter the coordinates below.

Lat: 34.83474
    Long: 111.75364

Thanks, Dale. I have the map printed out.

I could only use the GPX if I'd taken the time to practice how to use my Garmin to do
    anything but just record tracks. (DOH!) I don't think leading a ride is the appropriate time
    to try something new.

So, imagine that I'm heading up Broken Arrow from Chicken Point. Can you give me some
    visual clues to describe where High on the Hog starts and then where Hog Wash splits off?

PM me if you think this intel is more sensitive to forum-sweeping than the already
    published map (though at this point, I don't know that it matters).

EDIT: started a new HH thread to split off from the HHH thread. See:
    Sedona Double H ride (version EP) info

Members who have read this thread: 0