mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Sedona Rainfall As of 10:45 PM and It's Still Raining

Yes we are concerned about crossing Oak Creek, but we are happy that Sedona trail conditions are going to be awesome Wednesday afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Rainfall As of 10:45 PM and It's Still Raining-sedona-rainfall.jpg  

mtbr member
    Perfect conditions for building the new Rector trail in VOC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Perfect conditions for building the new Rector trail in VOC.
    Rock is that the proposed singletrack trail that runs parallel to Bell Rock Pathway between the Courthouse Vista trailhead and the Bell Rock Vista parking lot? Yesterday my wife said there was some kind of call for dedicated volunteers to show up at the Bell Rock Vista Parking Lot tomorrow to do some work.

You and I know that trail is badly needed to take pressure off Slim Shady at least that is what has been discussed. Riders heading to or from Lama will certainly like to use it, rather than cross 179 to Slim.

I wonder if there will be a good turn out from ALL the VOC riders and users? Hopefully Scotty and Velo will show up to represent the I Want to Work group.

We are still having rain showers in Sedona right now, but it looks to be clearing later. I plan on checking out the loose sandy areas out in Dry Creek later. I am assuming Special Ed and Pyramid will be in great shape a couple hours after the rain stops. Skywalker should also be good. I would stay off of the Soldiers Wash trails except Grand Central. All the major wash routes will be awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Rainfall As of 10:45 PM and It's Still Raining-sedona-rainfall-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I am assuming Special Ed and Pyramid will be in great shape a couple hours after the rain stops.
    About 2/3s of the way from the high school to the junction with Pyramid is a little off-camber chunk of slickrock. It's at sort of a left-right S-turn. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. That little sucker gets super slippery right after some rain. I learned the hard way not to roll off of it at a 45-degree angle when it's wet.

I hope you find AZ Cypress to be less of a sandbox later today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Rock is that the proposed singletrack trail that runs parallel to Bell Rock Pathway between the Courthouse Vista trailhead and the Bell Rock Vista parking lot? Yesterday my wife said there was some kind of call for dedicated volunteers to show up at the Bell Rock Vista Parking Lot tomorrow to do some work.
    Unfortunately, the Rector trail is not something mountain bikes will be welcome on. It's apparently going to be a much needed connector trail between Courthouse and Bell Rock. You know, that dumb 75 yd section of wilderness between the two buttes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Unfortunately, the Rector trail is not something mountain bikes will be welcome on. It's apparently going to be a much needed connector trail between Courthouse and Bell Rock. You know, that dumb 75 yd section of wilderness between the two buttes.
    I couldnít stop laughing when I read this. I can assure you Scotty wonít be showing up for this volunteer work event and I doubt Velo will show up either. I wonder how many hikers who donít want mountain bikers in the Wilderness will show up?

I recently read an article which discussed the peace and tranquility Wilderness hikers are looking for in the Wilderness, and how they would be traumatized if a mountain biker were to approach them on a Wilderness trail.

In Sedona I follow Plumber Philís blue flags all over areas that have only been touched by grazing cattle, coyotes, deer and acient cowboys. The peace and tranquility out there is nice and I wonder, does one really need Wilderness to find peace and tranquility? Seems like all you have to do is hike off trail and you never see anyone.

Are most hikers afraid to hike off trail because they have poor navigational skills or they need a Wilderness trail to feel peace and tranquility?

Trail conditions are going to be excellent tomorrow. It looks like the work on COF held up.

My other ride is your mom
    I love the peace and tranquility I find in Sedona's wilderness areas...the sound of rotor aircraft overhead at all hours of the day helps center me and reminds me that it's TOTALLY about a natural experience.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I love the peace and tranquility I find in Sedona's wilderness areas...the sound of rotor aircraft overhead at all hours of the day helps center me and reminds me that it's TOTALLY about a natural experience.....
    Mad you make a good point about the helos. When I am out following Philís blue trail markers I do hear helicopters flying over regularly. Since I donít suffer from Heliocopter Derangement Syndrome it doesnít negatively affect me. I have a friend who goes batty everytime one flys over us. He runs around giving the copter the finger as it flys over. So far none of them have crashed and I think they are here to stay.