mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sedona Next Weekend

Are the trails in Sedona rideable or are they snow covered/muddy? What's the weather been like? Is rain/snow forecast for the next several days? I'm thinking of riding Sedona this weekend.

AKA shitbird
    I've always wanted to ride Sedona or Flag when there was a little snow on the ground as long as it's not slushy/muddy and obviously not too deep. Anyone ever ride white trails up there?
    JRA

Master Gardener
    Not sure about trail conditions, but we're heading over from Prescott this coming Tuesday.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Trail Conditions ...

Trails have been muddy on and off. Saturday and Sunday SUNSHINE will make for PRIMO riding conditions. This should be the case for the next week or so.

Must get more riding time.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Master Gardener
    The trails in Sedona are primo as of yesterday. Really nice, in fact. We did Bike & Bean to Lama to Chicken Point and down Broken Arrow, with a side trip to Submarine for a breath of fresh air.

Thanks to the fine folks at Bike & Bean. I love that place.

dirt visionary
    Great good to hear ! I was going to go Sunday but I went up towards highline in payson and showlow area instead too bad it was all way too muddy . Oh well it made for a great day away from the valley .

Master Gardener
    I was surprised that our trails in Prescott aren't any muddier than the trails in Sedona. (Both are in great shape... by today, Sedona is probably at primo trail conditions.)

Over the Hill
    Alot of it has to do with how cold it is. I was in Sedona the week between X-mas and New Years, it was snowing but it stayed cold. The trails were great to ride when frozen, later in the day and when the snow melted it started get mucky, but rideable.

Riding Sedona in the snow was one of the best rides I have ever been on.

Master Gardener
    I'm not a huge fan of this state as a whole, but this is what AZ riding looks like the first week of February. 72-degrees and bluebird.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Velokid1]I'm not a huge fan of this state as a whole, but this is what AZ riding looks like the first week of February. 72-degrees and bluebird.

Just got back from Grand Canyon and Sedona hiking mini-vacation with the family. Sunday, February 11th rain and lightning chased us off of Bell rock just a bit early.

I'm glad that it rained. Sedona is very beautiful with the rocks in the midst. One butte just west of town was actually creating a small vortex cloud -- the kind you sometimes see coming off of the space shuttle wings.

By Monday the 12th the trails were just a little bit muddy but OK to ride -- mountain bike tracks were visible on Broken Arrow where we hiked in the afternoon but no grooves in the trail. Very few people were out on the trails, but downtown seemed pretty crowded with lots of people around.

Master Gardener
    I agree about the rain... when it rains here the clouds and mist finally give the mountains and buttes the contrast they need to be really visually stunning. I like to head out on hikes in the pines here in Prescott when it rains and pretend I'm back in SE Alaska.

It was nice last week to ride Sedona without all of the red dust you usually bring home. The trails were actually nice and tacky and very firm in the spots that appeared to us out-of-towners to be muddy.