banned
    Jul 2013

Sedona Needs Your Help With Completing a Survey to Get New Trails in the Future

Dear Fellow Mountain Biker:

In Sedona, AZ many passionate mountain bikers have been religiously attending the Sedona Trails Planning Process meetings. The results of these meeting will affect the building or adoption of user created trails for ten years or longer. To date we have had ten meetings and I have attended all but three. I believe there will be two more meetings before a decision is made to either allow new mountain bike trails in Sedona or not allow them. At this point we need your help in completing the survey (Red Rock Trails Plan Update Survey ) in a positive mountain biking stance.

The survey will take you about ten minutes to complete. I am friends with traildoc and these are his answers to the survey:

#1. Mountain biking

#2. Your Choice

#3. In the Other Box I Typed in Add User Created Mountain Bike Trails, 2nd I checked Add New Trails, 3rd I checked Volunteer Trail Work Program, 4th I Checked Trail Signage and 5th I Checked Trail Classification and Rating

#4. I checked Single Track and you should pick what other choices fit your riding style.

#5. I checked Single Track plus two additional choices that you feel are important.

#6. I put “Connector trails that enhance the current trail system” in the other box.

#7. I put “Connector trails that allow multiple loop options” in the other box. 2nd, 3rd & 4th choices are your preference.

#8. As a part-time hiker, I put in Easy-Needs More, More Difficult- Needs More

#9. This is a mountain biker question, so I put in Easy- Needs More, More Difficult-Needs More. I found this a difficult question because of the amount of mileage given for each classification. A 10-15 mile length of new trail in Sedona doesn’t seem possible under our current budget.

#10. This is an equestrian question, so I wasn’t sure what to put in, so I put Don’t Know in all the choices.

#11. Your Call

#12. This is a difficult survey question to answer since all boxes can be checked without any preference. Obviously some of the funds should come from the FS, but if they don’t have a big budget they are unable to add new trails as fast as some would hope for which means other funding is needed from other funding sources.

We at the Sedona Mountain Bike Club are also asking IMBA (Patrick Kell) to communicate with their membership to support new trails in Sedona and hopefully they can help with our efforts.

RMB
    Last edited by RenegadeMtnBiker; 07-26-2013 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I filled it out... hope it helps

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the link. I didn't use your answers though...

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justinwp View Post
    Thanks for the link. I didn't use your answers though...
    Those were traildoc's answers not mine. I did answer it differently, but I clearly wanted the current mountain bike user created trails adopted as well as new affordable trails that the current budget will support. Jennifer and Cate said that grants and budgets are shrinking due to Federal belt tightening

You more than any one else on this forum understands how the FS goes about the adoption process. Your insights about the process would make a great book.

Thanks for all you Sedona trail work in the past, hopefully your new position is more rewarding than working for the RRRD.

mtbr member
    I voted for another ride night in the Valley with beer involved. Saturday night at MCDowell Comp Loops- white cargo van-bring a light, a smile, a bike and maybe something cold to drink.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

No Clue Crew
    The form isn't working for me. Several questions won't let me check boxes...

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    The form isn't working for me. Several questions won't let me check boxes...
    Mike:

Are you saying that when you put some kind of an answer in every question that you can't move to the next set of questions? We obviously need to get this fixed if that is the case. This needs to be user friendly for people to respond easily. Thanks for you input.

RMB

No Clue Crew
    I let me answer 1 -3 fine. And 4. Then wouldn't let me check any boxes for #5. I wrote a note in notepad figuring there would be a "comments" section and moved on. Answered 6 fine, 7 same thing. Wouldn't let me check the boxes.

Must be a Chrome bug. I switched to Firefox and got it finished. Ended with:

Everyone likes to demonize mountain bikers but my experience is that we provide more support in the trail building & maintenance arena than any other user group and yet we have the least amount of leverage and literally NO trails purpose-built for us. So many other communities around the country have purpose-built mountain bike trails and parks and Sedona could DEFINITELY benefit from trails targeted specifically at the mountain biking community.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Everyone likes to demonize mountain bikers but my experience is that we provide more support in the trail building & maintenance arena than any other user group and yet we have the least amount of leverage and literally NO trails purpose-built for us. So many other communities around the country have purpose-built mountain bike trails and parks and Sedona could DEFINITELY benefit from trails targeted specifically at the mountain biking community.:
    Neither of those statements are true in Sedona...

Friends of the Forest, a majority hiker group, does a significant amount of work and much of the least rewarding work to do on the trail system. You only hear about them on here when a drain is cleaned without the most attention to detail and other users.

On your second point, ignoring all of the illegally constructed trails added to the system, you still have Aerie and Hermit trails. Both of which are used by majority bikers. The middle part of Aerie doesn't make for that exciting of a hike.

Having worked for the USFS for a couple years recently I would say that my efforts were often focused on popular mountain bike trails and making those trails more enjoyable for mountain bike trails. If I wasn't holding a tool in my hand I was typically supporting one aspect or another of the trail adoption process to bring more mountain bike specific trails into the system. In my opinion some of the most neglected users are those hikers trying to go up doe mountain, bear mountain, and many of the other trails in the canyon. My answers to the survey reflect some of this. Hikers and bikers in the moderate skill/experience group are fairly well off in Sedona. On either end of that spectrum, the trail system is inconsistent and unpredictable.

You more than any one else on this forum understands how the FS goes about the adoption process. Your insights about the process would make a great book.

Thanks for all you Sedona trail work in the past, hopefully your new position is more rewarding than working for the RRRD.
    Thanks for the kind words. The NPS is an entirely different animal in terms of funding. I'm working with five other professionals(NPS trail employees) with a 5-10 person ACE/CREC crew the entire season on a trail that is a mile long... we are only working on half of the trail this season. In addition to that, we will probably spend $150k using helicopters to haul materials down on the trail. That is in addition to our 700 ft skyline to haul 500lb loads down to the trail. That 1/2 mile of trail is probably funded double what the 330+ miles of trail in Sedona is in a year.
    Professional Trail Builder and Guvmint Employee

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the link; and for the replies of TD; which I found very informative.
    I believe that Sedona. and alot of other places, need 'Tomahawk' trails; and they'd better come soon; as TD (and I) are getting long of tooth. cheers. TS