Unit 91

Sedona Mid-November...What to ride?

First trip to Sedona in Mid-November. Bringing 5" travel trail bikes. Ridden Whistler, North Shore, Grand Junction, Moab, etc. Will be there for 2-2 1/2 days. What trails are "must rides" for a short trip? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Bikes

mtbr member
    One fun one is Hangover down to munds wagon. Not an all day affair, but fun and great views. There is a nice series of trails that starts at a local shop 'bike n bean'. Some of the trails are 'slim shady', 'highline', 'made in the shade', etc. I would just go to that shop, get a map, enjoy good coffee and company, and they can tell you where Hangover is, as well as the loop that you can access from their parking lot. That's what I did and had and loved it.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Huffy Rider
    Hiline, Hogs, Mescal….there are usually a bunch of locals to ride with, just ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm not a local but I visited Sedona last November with a friend. Great time, great riding. I stayed in West Sedona not far from Over the Edge (great shop) and most days rode right from the condo.

If you have two days, I'd recommend one day in the northwest area and one day in the east and southeast (Hiline, Hangover, Hogs area).

Here are two of my days, to give an idea:

NW area: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | . Earning a porkchop dinner near Sedona | Times and Records | Strava
    East, Southeast (Triple H ride): Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Triple H. 25/11/2012 Sedona, AZ near Sedona | Times and Records | Strava

My Triple H ride had a fair bit of road transfers between Hangover, Hogs, and Highline. You could drive those instead to make it a shorter day.

OTE and other shops have great paper and Tyvek maps.

The 'H's are fairly technical with some exposure. Most stuff in the NW area is faster and smoother, but also super fun. I didn't want to leave!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    TP:
    just send a pm to Renegademtnbiker and John will help you get going. He IS Sedona's MTB Ambassador. Ask for him at Over The Edge if the pm fails. Fun!
    cheers TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    TP:
    just send a pm to Renegademtnbiker and John will help you get going. He IS Sedona's MTB Ambassador. Ask for him at Over The Edge if the pm fails. Fun!
    cheers TS
    Dude. I don't think self-appointments fly for ambassadorship. Nor does being banned from mtbr twice.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    First trip to Sedona in Mid-November. Bringing 5" travel trail bikes. Ridden Whistler, North Shore, Grand Junction, Moab, etc. Will be there for 2-2 1/2 days. What trails are "must rides" for a short trip? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Highline and Hangover are must rides if you like exposure. They offer good views as you are right on the cliff edges. I like the beartooth map. If you get it and talk with anybody in any of the bike shops, they'll give you some tips. You could link together tons miles without hitting pavement, or do short loops depending on what you're feeling...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Unit 91
    Awesome! Thank you for all the input! We are looking forward to this trip, although it will be rather short.
    Bikes

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Dude. I don't think self-appointments fly for ambassadorship. Nor does being banned from mtbr twice.
    Oh boy is it already that time of year again?
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone ever use the Manzanita campgrounds in Sedona? I plan to be camping there 11/8 possibly and hope to do a few trails. Cant do an all day ride but I'd like to do at least a couple hours on thursday/friday if anyone has any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Anyone ever use the Manzanita campgrounds in Sedona? I plan to be camping there 11/8 possibly and hope to do a few trails. Cant do an all day ride but I'd like to do at least a couple hours on thursday/friday if anyone has any suggestions.
    The manzanita campground is great. I recommend booking your site as early as possible. They have some first come first serve spots, but don't rely on those. Small site, but very nice.

Any of the above rides are great. Enjoy!
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Already reserved! I am excited. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Already reserved! I am excited. Thanks
    borracho... I wonder how many folks on here know what that means... then again, maybe a lot...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    borracho... I wonder how many folks on here know what that means... then again, maybe a lot...

Probably a lot. I earned that name in high school. Funny thing is now I probably have 1 beer every 2-4 weeks on average. But the name still sticks!

rubber side down
    May 2007
    How do trails in Sedona drain after some rain? Looking like a few days of rain in the forecast…headed there Sun -Tues. I've been reading about death mud, which doesn't look fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daleydouble View Post
    How do trails in Sedona drain after some rain? Looking like a few days of rain in the forecast…headed there Sun -Tues. I've been reading about death mud, which doesn't look fun.
    With the exception of Scheurman Mtn, Bandit, or Windsurfer there is no death mud in Sedona. Certain places will be worse than others but more mushy than sticky mud. It's the freeze thaw that really makes things worse after a wet period but that's another month or two away when overnight lows are consistently below freezing.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Huffy Rider
    We ride in between the rain cells, perfect conditions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Hiline, Hogs, Mescal….there are usually a bunch of locals to ride with, just ask.
    If you choose to ride with Motochick, she is one of the best (if not the best) persons to learn from on a ride... and an all around cool person too and skilled rider too...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....