Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sedona lodging?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Sedona lodging?

I'm going to be visiting from MN for a conference in Nov. Hoping to do some day hiking (Grand Canyon one day), and mtn biking.

I've never been there. No idea how the place is layed out. Riding from the hotel would be great.

Conference is at Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa Is this in a good area to go riding/hiking? Any other suggestions? Wife will be there to go hiking with me.

Thanks.

J-No

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J-No View Post
    I'm going to be visiting from MN for a conference in Nov. Hoping to do some day hiking (Grand Canyon one day), and mtn biking.

I've never been there. No idea how the place is layed out. Riding from the hotel would be great.

Conference is at Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa Is this in a good area to go riding/hiking? Any other suggestions? Wife will be there to go hiking with me.

Thanks.

J-No
    J:

If you are an advanced rider ride Slim Shady to Highline to Baldwin to Templeton to Slim Shady. If you are an intermediate rider ride Slim Shady to Templeton to HT to Little Horse to Lama to Templeton to Hermit to Coconino to Slim Shady to the Hilton.

Hopefully the Skidmap.com database will be updated shortly with comprehensive Intel to give you all the trail information you will need to have a great trip.

If you are not an advanced rider and you want to check out Highline you could do an out and back hike with your wife. You could park at the Yavapai Parking Lot and take Yavapai Vista trail to Slim Shady to Highline.

You might also try Googling: Sedona Mountain Bike Trail Maps to see what you come up with. You might come up with a great Google Earth map of all the great Sedona mountain bike trails to ride.

If you have any other questions let me know. If you are an advanced rider and want to tag along with one of my rides that I might be doing 10 miles away from the Hilton let me know.

Are you really coming in November?

TD

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    J-no,

There ya have it! the only thing I can add is if you are a noob to MTB the big park area is closest to you and the mildest terrain there is to ride in the area. You will have a good time no matter your skill level. FYI the Grand Canyon will take you longer than you would anticipate to get to, most local tours depart Sedona around 6-7am.

Enjoy your stay in this great state, and if you hook up with TD, you will have a fantastic time for sure! Our trail "system" is sort of convoluted in some ways, that probably won't be resolved by your arrival, so I would suggest a TD tour, at the low low price of just sharing fellowship in sport!! TD can put together "something special" if you honestly share your skill level, where you have riden before and what you did and didn't like about it. He can plan a route in the trail system that is "tailor made" for you! He doesn't have a lot of time on his hands to do this for everyone, but from time to time when he does, he doesn't mind at all, in fact he's very passionate about it. Since your arrival is in Nov there is plenty of time to fit it in. You are in good hands with TD on this I promise and your expectations will exceeded easily!!

Great job Ambassador!
    Personal quote: "If at first you don't succeed, critically re-think it and do."

mtbr member
    If you're going to the Grand Canyon, you should go in the summer so you can perv out on all the hot European women on holiday.

Have you ever been there before? It only takes about two hours to get to the GC from Sedona. Bright Angel Trail is the main trail, but I didn't really like it that much. It's neat to see all the layers of rock as you go down, but it's pretty boxed in. The Kaibab Trail/Arizona Trail going in from Yaki Point is a lot more open with much better vistas. If you had to choose one, I'd do that.

mtbr member
    Your hotel is about 3/4 mile south from bike and bean bike rentals. I assume you will need to rent a mountain bike ?

http://www.bike-bean.com
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    If you're going to the Grand Canyon, you should go in the summer so you can perv out on all the hot European women on holiday.

Have you ever been there before? It only takes about two hours to get to the GC from Sedona. Bright Angel Trail is the main trail, but I didn't really like it that much. It's neat to see all the layers of rock as you go down, but it's pretty boxed in. The Kaibab Trail/Arizona Trail going in from Yaki Point is a lot more open with much better vistas. If you had to choose one, I'd do that.
    EasyE, What up my nogger!!

You forgot to add on a windy day as well!

Been there done that a lot! I was just saying if he wanted to do both, in November, then hit the canyon in the morning and the trails in the warmer afternoon is all my brotha!
    Last edited by RideNShine; 01-13-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: to change nagger to nogger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the notes everyone. No choice but to go in Nov. The conference is at that hotel, so that is where I am thinking of staying. I am pretty new to MTBing. Never rode in the SW.

Sounds like the hotel is in a okay location? I was thinking about bringing my bike out--probably ship it to the hotel the week before.

Can I go down the Kaibab trail and back up the Bright Angel? I was hoping to do a rim to rim, but I do not think logistically it will work out. I was hoping to arrive a couple of days early and stay closer to the GC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Down the Kaibab and up Bright Angel is about 15 +/- miles and is doable if you're in good hiking condition. Weather in November is about as good as it gets for this round trip because of the warm temperatures at the bottom.

Kaibab Trail is dry while the Bright Angel has water.

-db-

mtbr member
    Can I go down the Kaibab trail and back up the Bright Angel? I was hoping to do a rim to rim, but I do not think logistically it will work out. I was hoping to arrive a couple of days early and stay closer to the GC.
    Absolutely, you just have to get to Phantom Ranch on the Colorado first. Down the Kaibab and up Bright Angel would be about 16 or so miles round trip, with about 5000 feet of elevation change each way. Two day trip, minimum. People have died trying that in one day in the summer. Rim to rim would have to be rim to rim to rim since the North Rim is closed from October to May for snow. The road gets shut down past Jacob Lake. In the summer, you can shuttle back to the South Rim, but not in the winter. It's about 42 miles round trip to do R2R2R, again 5000 feet of change on each trip in or out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Absolutely, you just have to get to Phantom Ranch on the Colorado first. Down the Kaibab and up Bright Angel would be about 16 or so miles round trip, with about 5000 feet of elevation change each way. Two day trip, minimum. People have died trying that in one day in the summer. Rim to rim would have to be rim to rim to rim since the North Rim is closed from October to May for snow. The road gets shut down past Jacob Lake. In the summer, you can shuttle back to the South Rim, but not in the winter. It's about 42 miles round trip to do R2R2R, again 5000 feet of change on each trip in or out.
    Thanks for all the info. As you can tell, I have some research to do. Just got approved for the trip. I'll explore the GC options.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. As you can tell, I have some research to do. Just got approved for the trip. I'll explore the GC options.
    South Rim is open all year long and anything you'd need, you can get on site. There's a couple of hotels, restaurant, and a pretty well stocked grocery store. I about stroked out when I saw that a bag of ice was like $4 though.

Phantom Ranch has a lodge, and they'll feed you. You could spend a day going down Kaibab, sleep at Phantom, and head out on Bright Angel the next day. Kaibab is totally dry, so bring all the water you need. I think they shut off the two taps closest to the rim on Bright Angel so they don't freeze. The canyon does get hotter the deeper into it you go. I overheard a couple from Chicago express surprise that it's not like a basement and it gets cooler as you go deeper.

You're going to have to spend $25 to get into the National Park anyway, might as well stay a couple of days and enjoy it.

Meatbomb

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    ^^^^^^^ +1

bland
    I work for a guide company that leads backpacking tours through the canyon. Some of easyeezz advise is spot on, some is pretty poor. Send a pm and I can give you some professional advise. You are going to have a great time in AZ!

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I work for a guide company that leads backpacking tours through the canyon. Some of easyeezz advise is spot on, some is pretty poor. Send a pm and I can give you some professional advise. You are going to have a great time in AZ!
    M77,

I agree with you as far as EasyE's advice, without naming names or making something seem malicious, what part of the advice was poor. I am asking as I have never hiked down into the canyon (have visited about 4 times but never recreated) and would like to stay a weekend and hike down and back.

With respect to ya both!

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012

Sorry EasyE

Dude, I totally missed the auto-correct on my first post! I meant it as a familiar pun "nogger" from nogfest!! But you can be one heck of a nagger as well I must say!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Down the Kaibab and up Bright Angel would be about 16 or so miles round trip, with about 5000 feet of elevation change each way. Two day trip, minimum.

If you are saying that he should stay at least two days to maximize the experience -- then I completely agree. Just make sure to get reservations at Phantom Ranch well in advance.

On the other hand, I've hiked down South Kaibab, had lunch at Phantom Ranch, and hiked back up Bright Angel in a half day (~7-9 hours).

-db-

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    If you are saying that he should stay at least two days to maximize the experience -- then I completely agree. Just make sure to get reservations at Phantom Ranch well in advance.

On the other hand, I've hiked down South Kaibab, had lunch at Phantom Ranch, and hiked back up Bright Angel in a half day (~7-9 hours).

-db-
    Yep. I think backpacking is the way to go and would choose the campground over the phantom bunks. It really all comes down to your fitness. The rim to rim record was set last year at two hours and fourty seven minutes or something crazy like that. I've also had people turn back less than a mile into the hike. If you decide to go the camping route you will need a permit. Permit requests should be sent in the first day of the month four months before the month of your trip. The water flows year round.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    M77,

I agree with you as far as EasyE's advice, without naming names or making something seem malicious, what part of the advice was poor. I am asking as I have never hiked down into the canyon (have visited about 4 times but never recreated) and would like to stay a weekend and hike down and back.

With respect to ya both!
    Most of it is spot on but his post kind of makes it sound like you can just show up without much planning and have a great time. Some people can do that if they are truly fit but for most of us it would be a suffer fest. Spending more than one day there is really good advise.

mtbr member
    Most of it is spot on but his post kind of makes it sound like you can just show up without much planning and have a great time. Some people can do that if they are truly fit but for most of us it would be a suffer fest. Spending more than one day there is really good advise.
    Oh, okay. I was trying to think what I did wrong again.

You're right though, you can't really jump off the couch and make the walk to the river. For me, the worst part is going down. I think the climb out is a lot easier. Good news for OP is, he has a lot of time to train. Or he could always ride a mule instead.

bland
    Oh, okay. I was trying to think what I did wrong again.

You're right though, you can't really jump off the couch and make the walk to the river. For me, the worst part is going down. I think the climb out is a lot easier. Good news for OP is, he has a lot of time to train. Or he could always ride a mule instead.
    Your right, you didn't do anything wrong. When I read your first post it felt to me like you were downplaying the challenge of the canyon, because tone really comes across well on the internet...

I have never ridden to mule down there but most of the people I see on them don't look too happy. You can do a mule assisted trip and have the mules carry your gear in while you hike with a day pack.

mtbr member
    Grandview Trail to Horseshoe Mesa and back would be my recommendation. Backcountry trail and solitude. My two favorite things about mtn biking and the closest you'll get to it from S. Rim drive.

Kaibab and Bright Angel are sidewalks loaded with tourons. And as Ranger has warned, hiking to the river and back in a day is only for the extremely fit even in November.

mtbr member
    I have never ridden to mule down there but most of the people I see on them don't look too happy. You can do a mule assisted trip and have the mules carry your gear in while you hike with a day pack.
    That too. The only horses I've ridden are those 35 year old glue factory rejects you can go on trail rides at campgrounds on. After seeing how poorly some horses react to bikes or anything that's weird, I don't know if I'd ever feel safe on one. That's a big, strong, stupid animal, but it's not smart enough to know how big or strong it is.

I try to be cool about horses because I don't want somebody to get Christopher Reeve because I didn't want to screw up my Strava time, but seeing how some of those things react to just walking past a bike, I get weirded out.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Grandview Trail to Horseshoe Mesa and back would be my recommendation. Backcountry trail and solitude. My two favorite things about mtn biking and the closest you'll get to it from S. Rim drive.

Kaibab and Bright Angel are sidewalks loaded with tourons. And as Ranger has warned, hiking to the river and back in a day is only for the extremely fit even in November.
    That's a great hike. The grandview trail head might be closed to cars in November depending on snow. Hermit will be open and free of turons though. Its under the helicopter traffic but its still more secluded than the corridor trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Tell that to the Asian lady in high heels I saw starting down "Just to the river and back" as I was hiking the last few hundred yards out......
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast