Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sedona lodging?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Tell that to the Asian lady in high heels I saw starting down "Just to the river and back" as I was hiking the last few hundred yards out......
    Pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Absolutely, you just have to get to Phantom Ranch on the Colorado first. Down the Kaibab and up Bright Angel would be about 16 or so miles round trip, with about 5000 feet of elevation change each way. Two day trip, minimum. People have died trying that in one day in the summer. Rim to rim would have to be rim to rim to rim since the North Rim is closed from October to May for snow. The road gets shut down past Jacob Lake. In the summer, you can shuttle back to the South Rim, but not in the winter. It's about 42 miles round trip to do R2R2R, again 5000 feet of change on each trip in or out.
    Actually, no you don't *have* to go to Phantom if you want to head up Bright Angel, but you should. The have the coldest Budweisers on the planet.

Down Kaibab, up Bright Angel can easily be done in one day, and if you're doing GC on a whim, really your only option as Phantom fills up very, very fast. If you're doing it in summer, just be sure to bring water. You can fill up at Phantom and at Indian Gardens. Up BA is fine once you start the climb out, as it's typically shaded at that time of the day.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012

I must say!!

I really like where this thread is going, you guys are F'n fantastic, you are making me want to revisit the canyon and I cannot thank everyone here discussing, enough because my next "user experience" at the canyon is going the best it can be!!!! I would give everyone of you rep but I have dished it to some of you already for other reasons!! Keep up the great work, and don't mind me hanging an ear here!

Respectfully R&S
    Personal quote: "If at first you don't succeed, critically re-think it and do."

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Tell that to the Asian lady in high heels I saw starting down "Just to the river and back" as I was hiking the last few hundred yards out......
    LOL I can totally see that happening all the time!!!

Thank you guys!!! When I go back to the GC I don't want to be any form of thais example that's for SURE!!!!

I guess after thinking it further I have this to say to myself; "Tis better to be prepared for backpacking when you find your self daypack hiking, than visa versa!"

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Pics?
    I agree, pics would be nice!! LOL!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    I agree, pics would be nice!! LOL!
    Unless this applies:

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Unless this applies:

I could find a way that that would apply to a lot of things, is it rational to do so here? LMAO!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

Kaibab and Bright Angel are sidewalks loaded with tourons
    Very true -- especially Bright Angel.

If you've hiked to the river before it's more fun to find another route. But for the first time visitor, this is still a good option because it is well traveled by other hikers and park service rangers. Just in case things go wrong...

-db-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Very true -- especially Bright Angel.

If you've hiked to the river before it's more fun to find another route. But for the first time visitor, this is still a good option because it is well traveled by other hikers and park service rangers. Just in case things go wrong...

-db-
    No doubt. Of the two, Bright Angel is easier because it's not as steep. You don't have to hike down as far on the Kaibab to get more encompassing views. At 7 miles it's also a quick exit. Although we had a guy take 10 hours to hike out of a river trip last October
    but he was rather overweight.

For those who have hiked those trails numerous times the Miner's Route is a nice option to skip much of the Kaibab. For the more adventureous you can hike north a bit on the Tonto and then beeline up a route through the Supai, Coconino, and Kaibab to Shoshone Point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No Adam's apple, not worth documenting. The amusing part to me was this encounter happened around 1pm.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    No Adam's apple, not worth documenting. The amusing part to me was this encounter happened around 1pm.
    Got it! Makes one wonder, if she had a "good user experience".

BOT,
    I'm listening to the discussion as to what is important for a first time hiking the GC period. I have a "rock crawling" level of agility, Nut much heavy load endurance past 1 hr break level, Good light load endurance, degenerative arthritis in both ankles, cardio is good once built back up from injury, so speed is slower than average now, but will be higher than normal when I'm ready to hike. Is a hike to the bottom, camp overnight (with req permit) and hike out the next day, something that needs to be conditioned for and not a good idea for a first time GC hike?

Meatbomb
    Don't forget about the Supai area as well. The falls are magnificent !

Hiking information for Havasupai

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This info is all great. I think we will see how the summer goes and plan from there. Best case would be down and up in a day, but we will see how it goes.

I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J-No View Post
    This info is all great. I think we will see how the summer goes and plan from there. Best case would be down and up in a day, but we will see how it goes.

I'm really looking forward to the trip.
    J-no

Tell me about it! I'm even thinking of plans myself and want to do it when the best time of the year is for a down, camp, up, hiking experience.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J-No View Post
    I'm going to be visiting from MN for a conference in Nov. Hoping to do some day hiking (Grand Canyon one day), and mtn biking.

I've never been there. No idea how the place is layed out. Riding from the hotel would be great.

Conference is at Hilton Sedona Resort and Spa Is this in a good area to go riding/hiking? Any other suggestions? Wife will be there to go hiking with me.

Thanks.

J-No
    J-No,

Are you planning to rent a car, probably, if so then you are not limited to staying at the resort unless it's covered if you do, then depending, your options are limitless and you need only prioritize your recreational activities with who you will be doing them with or by yourself when here and at the GC, everyone here is ready with valued opinion.

OT; J-No, If ya don't mind the intrusion what is the conference for and why was Sedona chosen as the locale?

Respectfully, R&S

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Although we had a guy take 10 hours to hike out of a river trip last October
    That was fun. At least he had a good attitude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    That was fun. At least he had a good attitude.
    It was downright civil of you to run sweep

This thread needs pics so here's one of Ranger getting his Rad on. South Rim and the aforementioned trails are in the distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona lodging?-rad.jpg  

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    The view of the canyon is very different from that perspective! I would have had no idea except for Lake Powell as to where that picture was taken at!! Now I really want to get down there! Excuse the ignorance there isn't any MTB allowed at/in the GC right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RideNShine View Post
    The view of the canyon is very different from that perspective! I would have had no idea except for Lake Powell as to where that picture was taken at!! Now I really want to get down there! Excuse the ignorance there isn't any MTB allowed at/in the GC right?
    Rainbow Rim at the Kaibab National Forest is. Just gotta go between May and October. Road is closed otherwise. The Arizona Trail goes up to both the North and South Rims. The guys who race it hump their bikes into and out of the canyon on their backs.

EDIT: Look at No. 8 on the "Under estimated rides" thread.

Red Rock Roller
    Apr 2012
    Rainbow Rim at the Kaibab National Forest is. Just gotta go between May and October. Road is closed otherwise. The Arizona Trail goes up to both the North and South Rims. The guys who race it hump their bikes into and out of the canyon on their backs.

EDIT: Look at No. 8 on the "Under estimated rides" thread.
    EasyE,

Thanks for the info and tip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2