Not smart enough to shift

Sedona for honeymoon in June...

Hey guys/gals,

I am getting hitched in June to my hot tomboy (as I have affectionately dubbed her) and we are heading to Sedona for our honeymoon. We are bringing our bikes with us. We are looking for some great rides and hikes near Sedona. Also, if you have any restaurants/sights that we have to check out please let me know.
    This will be our second time there and last time we rode from bike and bean up to chicken point, then to some nearby slick rock. Great ride, but looking for something different...maybe more challenging. She is on a 29er hardtail though so keep that in mind, but don't let it limit your ideas. I hopefully will have my new Heckler by then

Thank you so much for your ideas/suggestions and hope to see you on the trails around June 18th.

Andy

"Yabut"

Eats....

Go here for Sunday brunch. It's worth EVERY penny.

http://www.lauberge.com/dining.php
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

viva la v-brakes!
    It will be very hot, June/early July is the hottest time of the year there. Temps will be above 100 every day and the trails will be very dry and dusty. Have you considered flagstaff? It will be dry and dusty there too but temps will be in the 80s (and damn cold at night). As for advice there check out the "Visitors Read Here First" Sticky in this forum.

Hardtails work quite well in Sedona, a bit rough in places but nothing is impassible.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Second that FishMan

It'll be hot fo sho. Take an early morning ride over Cathedral Rock (aka Templeton), then spend an afternoon in the pine and aspen trees of Flag.

Congrats, or is it Good Luck!?!
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

viva la v-brakes!
    Guess I hadn't thought of that. You could do Templeton and take a dip in the creek at Budda Beach, and, another day to Huckabee and take a dip at the creek crossing there. Then when your sick of the heat, take a day-trip up to Flag.

I lead a tour with about 6 people on a hot day in mid-May last year (so similar to mid-June temps). Despite my best efforts (giving up 3/4ths of my water and handing out several electrolyte tablets), 2 or 3 of them suffered from heat related illness; cramps, exhaustion, etc. So I guess at least be prepared with lots of water and something to replace electrolytes.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Mornings are the key

Sedona is comfortable all year round. In the summer months, you just need to be comfortable with mornings, which means sun up or shortly after. I would say it's almost chilly in June at sunrise. I am no sun God, which means that you couldn't pay me to ride mid-day. Night rides or sunup would be the key. The creek is always cool. Of coure, OnlyonTwo has probably changed his honeymoon to Alaska by now.

Not smart enough to shift

Thanks for the comments...

Thanks everyone,

We are getting hitched this Saturday and will be in Sedona on Sunday. I'm still waiting for my Heckler so I am going to be bringing my singlespeed. I am not sure yet how I feel about that. Would 32:18 gearing on a 29er be do-able? Also, what trails would be recommended for a Singlespeed? I might rent a long travel bike for a day, just so we can do some of the other trails. Thanks, and maybe I will see some of you there out.

Andy

mtbr member
    A singlespeed is just fine on all the trails. You don't need a long travel bike. As for hikes, I would recommend the ones with swimming holes. Perhaps Wet Beaver Creek. Ride bikes the 2 mi to the wilderness boundary and then hike two miles to the first of several nice places to swim.

I rode sat and sun in Sedona last week and it was getting warm and that was only low 90s. This weekend will be closer to 100F As previously suggested, I would hit the trails early or 6pm or so. Depending on where you go you could figure out where the shade will be, say some of the trails in the Dry Creek area. The peak season is over for tourists so you should have no problem getting into restaurants. Heartline Cafe is a good one, although there are many. A nice locals hideout is Pizza Heaven and has really good food and pie.

Have fun! My 10 year is coming up next week

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Lost Llama

Sedona is a great area for single speed bikes in general. Lost Llama was always my favorite SS ride. No big climbs, it's all up and down all the time (good flow for the SS). Nothing too gnarly, just good fun. The hardest part is getting onto the trail. Stop into the Bike and Bean, they'll hook you up with the best method/map.

Daytime high temps will be close to 99 (w/ no humidity ) Sunrise is around 4:45am and I would call it hot by 9:00am or 9:30am. That leaves 3 hours of quality riding if you can get out on time.

Congrats, good luck and have fun!

zul

Hawes Junkie
    I was just up there this last weekend and it was awesome. I wasn't lucky enough to go riding this time but we walked around the Broken Arrow trail with the kids and it was warm but not even close to unbearable-probably around 90. I would def suggest that trail area though since you can get to anywhere easily from there.

For some good grub a buddy told me about a place called the Red Chopsticks www.redchopstickchineseandasianrestaurant.com (use to be Mandarin House) across from Kokopelli Inn in the Village of Oak Creek. I had the Spicy Honey Chicken and it was killer good but my friend suggest the Crispy Beef. Kinda seems like a hole in the wall but that's where all the good food is anyway.

One thing that I remember doing when I was on my honeymoon there 5 years ago was to go on a hike up the river from Slick Rock. We drove a 1/4 mile from Slick Rock, pulled off to the side and hicked down the ravine. We hiked upstream and found ourselves all by lomesome selves--needless to say we had a good time.

Whatever you do though you'll have an awesome time-it's a friggin Arizona mountain bike mecca!