mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Sedona and Flagstaff trail conditions?

Planning to leave for my trip out to Arizona on Friday. I expect to be in Arizona sometime late Saturday night or or Sunday afternoon. How are the trail conditions in Flagstaff and Sedona?

Since I'm a beginner by Arizona standards (I have not ridden a mountain bike outside of Nebraska and Iowa), are there any trails I should avoid? Any sections of trail that you can warn me about...like where I might fall off a cliff or run into another hazard without much time to react?

If I can, I'd like to spend a day or 2 in the Flagstaff/Sodona areas before heading to the Phoenix/Tuscon areas. Also, a local bike shop worker from Arizona said he prefers Tuscon trails over Phoenix are trails. Is there a consensus on that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Trails in Sedona are in good shape. Shady spots may have some mud -- and even a patch of snow.

Flagstaff trails, on the other hand, are covered with snow and will be for a few more months.

-db-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Also, a local bike shop worker from Arizona said he prefers Tuscon trails over Phoenix are trails. Is there a consensus on that?
    Mary Ann or Ginger?

mtbr member
    As mentioned above, Flag will be a no go. Sedona and everything south of it in the state are dry, gonna be some great weather on Saturday, possibility of rain on Sunday. As for exposure, there is a little bit on the highline trail, even more on the hangover trail, other than those you should be fine. However, these are a couple of sedona's finest trails, worth checking out if you wanna work those skills.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Since I'm a beginner by Arizona standards (I have not ridden a mountain bike outside of Nebraska and Iowa), are there any trails I should avoid?
    Prolly a long list, that.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tucson has plenty of riding opportunities nearby sure, but I think Phoenix really takes the cake for a metro area that has an exceptionally large and varied amount of riding available. There really isn't much that compares in the US with the riding opportunities in close proximity to Phoenix. White Tanks, South Mountain, Hawes, Black Canyon Trail, those are just some of the bigger ones, but there are many many more with all types of riding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Mary Ann or Ginger?
    I bet ginger is rideable right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wouln't like to ride Ginger now...maybe 40 years ago.