Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540

    Sedona Conditions Were Perfect Today

    Conditions were PERFECT today in Sedona and I would assume they were pretty much the same anywhere in Arizona under 7,000'. Based on weather.com it looks like it will be good the next ten days.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    595
    I agree! I took out some a few folks from the neighborhood and we all had a great time. Rode the Jordon, Teacup, Thunder Mtn, Lost Watch trails. Perfect temps for riding, no squishy trails, and plenty of grippy surfaces. There were quite a few bike tracks on LW, seems to be a winner of a trail.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    625
    I went on Saturday in the a.m. when the frost was still melting and everything was still wet. It was too slick for my tastes at that time. I bet the afternoon on Saturday was awesome, but even better would have been Sunday. I went for a ride Sunday in Flagstaff in shorts. Yesterday was absolutely beautiful.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    I agree! I took out some a few folks from the neighborhood and we all had a great time. Rode the Jordon, Teacup, Thunder Mtn, Lost Watch trails. Perfect temps for riding, no squishy trails, and plenty of grippy surfaces. There were quite a few bike tracks on LW, seems to be a winner of a trail.
    Chalkpaw:

    LC is really becoming popular. It has great flow and the scenery is pretty tasty. I was up on Hangover doing a hike Sunday and the trail was in super condition. It looked like only two riders have been on it since the big hail storm.

  5. #5
    zul
    zul is offline
    Will Guide for Beer
    Reputation: zul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    700

    Monday was horrible ...

    With all of the Radiant Heat , I was forced to wear short sleeves. Nearly unbearable. The trails will be super tacky and 10-day forcast looks dreadfull, stuck in the 70's all week.

    [IMG]TodaysRide[/IMG]
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    With all of the Radiant Heat , I was forced to wear short sleeves. Nearly unbearable. The trails will be super tacky and 10-day forcast looks dreadfull, stuck in the 70's all week.

    [IMG]TodaysRide[/IMG]
    zul:

    Nice picture is that up on Made in the Shade? Looks to be south facing. Did you go to the Thankgiving party at the Bean, we stopped in there for a short time on Thursday?

    Doc

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,940
    Doc, shed some light on Made in the Shade. Is this the same trail as Slim Shady?

  8. #8
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Traildoc,

    You going to come join us this year on April 4th 2009? Can you PM any thing you might do different about the loop?

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Doc, shed some light on Made in the Shade. Is this the same trail as Slim Shady?
    Rocky;

    Made in the Shade is the original loop trail across from the Bell Rock trailhead in VOC. Slim Shady is a connector trail that gets you from the north end of the Made in the Shade loop to the HT/Templeton intersection.

    The southwest section of Made in the Shade is somewhat difficult to navigate in the clockwise direction due to numerous old hiking trail segments.

    Doc

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Traildoc,

    You going to come join us this year on April 4th 2009? Can you PM any thing you might do different about the loop?
    Epic:

    I would love to join you guys on the ride, but I guarantee you I won't be finishing it. As far as the loop goes there are some different trails that could be substituted in the existing route, but those people who aren't familiar with the trails would get lost. Not sure how you would put those more enjoyable additions in without everyone carrying a GPS.

    Let me know your thoughts, if you would like something new and more enjoyable to ride.

    This is a loop that I would think would be pretty fun:

    Bandit to Front Side of Airport to Brewer to Schnebly to Cow Pies to Hangover to Munds to Cow Pies to Damifino to Damifido to Lavitra to Lavitra Bypass to Brew Pub to Damifino to the Oak Creek Bridge Crossing to Grass Hopper Point to Midgley Bridge to Wilson Mesa to Jim Thompson to Jim Thompson Bypass to Jim Thompson to Bird Cage to Jim Thompson to Jordon to Anthill to Jordon to Tea Cup to Andante to Thunder Mountain to Dry Creek Road to Lizard Head to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Earl's Jeep Road to Dry Creek Gravel Road to Chuck Wagon to Lost Watch to Mescal to Canyon of Fools to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Ledge'n'Airy to Pumberís Crack to Easy Rider To Girdner to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Red Rock Crossing Road to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Pyramid to Red Rock Crossing Road to Carroll Canyon Wash to Red Rock Crossing Road to Templeton to Baldwin to Via Verde School Road to Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HT to Bell Rock Pathway to Little Horse to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to Morgan Road to Hwy 179 to Brewer Road to Crucifixion Wash to Grand Central to New Plumbers to Crucifixion Wash to Second Coming to 89 A to Front Side of Airport to Bandit to Table Top to Windsurfer to Bogus to Ridge to Sketch to Lemonade Bypass to Old Ridge to Ridge to Carroll Canyon to Recycle Center to Shelby to Coffee Pot to Oak Creek Brewery.

    68.9 miles 11,350 feet of climbing

  11. #11
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc

    68.9 miles 11,350 feet of climbing
    When can we ride it? I have some weekends free in Dec-Jan, most notably the 1st week of January I will be in Flagstaff. While a GPS is not a mandatory item for AES rides, they are encouraged.

  12. #12
    zul
    zul is offline
    Will Guide for Beer
    Reputation: zul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    700

    Photo

    The photo was taken off of the Spellbinder trail. It is north facing, yes, and in the village.

    Off to Hangover for the day ...
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

  13. #13
    I bike long tyme.
    Reputation: Secace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,096
    Yeah, the riding there looks simply horrid.....as I sit here and look at gloom, gray skies and lake effect snow flurries. Nice pic!

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    The photo was taken off of the Spellbinder trail. It is north facing, yes, and in the village.

    Off to Hangover for the day ...
    zul:

    Spellbinder???? Cool something new. What is the approximate GPS coordinate of the picture location on Google Earth?

    Doc

  15. #15
    just 1 more
    Reputation: azjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Epic:

    I would love to join you guys on the ride, but I guarantee you I won't be finishing it. As far as the loop goes there are some different trails that could be substituted in the existing route, but those people who aren't familiar with the trails would get lost. Not sure how you would put those more enjoyable additions in without everyone carrying a GPS.

    Let me know your thoughts, if you would like something new and more enjoyable to ride.

    This is a loop that I would think would be pretty fun:

    Bandit to Front Side of Airport to Brewer to Schnebly to Cow Pies to Hangover to Munds to Cow Pies to Damifino to Damifido to Lavitra to Lavitra Bypass to Brew Pub to Damifino to the Oak Creek Bridge Crossing to Grass Hopper Point to Midgley Bridge to Wilson Mesa to Jim Thompson to Jim Thompson Bypass to Jim Thompson to Bird Cage to Jim Thompson to Jordon to Anthill to Jordon to Tea Cup to Andante to Thunder Mountain to Dry Creek Road to Lizard Head to Lost Watch to Touron to Chuck Wagon to Earl's Jeep Road to Dry Creek Gravel Road to Chuck Wagon to Lost Watch to Mescal to Canyon of Fools to Dawa to OK to Az Cypress to Anaconda to Girdner to Ledge'n'Airy to Pumberís Crack to Easy Rider To Girdner to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Bike Path to Under the Radar to Under Under the Radar to Red Rock Crossing Road to Upper Red Rock Loop Road to Pyramid to Red Rock Crossing Road to Carroll Canyon Wash to Red Rock Crossing Road to Templeton to Baldwin to Via Verde School Road to Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HT to Bell Rock Pathway to Little Horse to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to Morgan Road to Hwy 179 to Brewer Road to Crucifixion Wash to Grand Central to New Plumbers to Crucifixion Wash to Second Coming to 89 A to Front Side of Airport to Bandit to Table Top to Windsurfer to Bogus to Ridge to Sketch to Lemonade Bypass to Old Ridge to Ridge to Carroll Canyon to Recycle Center to Shelby to Coffee Pot to Oak Creek Brewery.

    68.9 miles 11,350 feet of climbing
    Forget a GPS. With all the intersections and almost invisible sections this loop would be hugely aggrevating without a guide.

    Maybe employ course workers with flags and beers?
    something's missing..

  16. #16
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Forget a GPS. With all the intersections and almost invisible sections this loop would be hugely aggrevating without a guide.
    True. There are some sections that I would like to add to the loop, like this Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HT to Bell Rock Pathway Trail doc, it sounds like you have a GPX file, mind sending it to me if I promise not to publish any of it? (rather I would just add some sections to my current route to eliminate road or undesirable sections)

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    True. There are some sections that I would like to add to the loop, like this Made in the Shade to Slim Shady to HT to Bell Rock Pathway Trail doc, it sounds like you have a GPX file, mind sending it to me if I promise not to publish any of it? (rather I would just add some sections to my current route to eliminate road or undesirable sections)
    Epic:

    I don't have any files since I am old and like John McCain low tech.

    I went out hiking today to enjoy another great day and thought of a way to show you the whole ride. I will get three of my buddies to do the ride with you. We can use low-tech two-way radios and cell phones to meet at the 23-mile points.

    If you only want to look at certain sections we won't need as many riders.

    Let me know what you think.

    Doc

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,940
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    zul:

    Spellbinder???? Cool something new. What is the approximate GPS coordinate of the picture location on Google Earth?

    Doc
    Looks like it's up above Devil's Kitchen Dr. or thereabouts on the south end of Cathedral Mountain to me...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •