mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Sedona Bike Park Phase II 99% Complete

I have been checking out the progress of the New Addition to the Sedona Bike Park. On Phase II a very experienced group of five Frisco, CO trail builders came to Sedona to undertake the construction of what was originally suppose to be a somewhat short Dual Slalom course. The new trail is about two hundred feet longer.

When the builders showed up they quickly determined the original short Dual Slalom course could be improved to a 12' wide Roller/Berm/Steep-Up Jump/Table Top Flow Trail. Due to the 12' width of the trail two riders can compete on the course at the same time.

Yesterday a group of Over the Edge Riders came up and checked out the trail. It was good to see locals checking out the goods. I think the Sedona Red Rock News may even be having an article on the new trail. Jordan was up up with the OTE group making the the majority of riders feel like they were beginners.

Since I have been volunteering on the trail project the crew gave me one of their McGrill Trail Crew T Shirts. Me me personally having been given that T Shirt was awesome. This has happened on several other volunteer projects and for me those shirts mean a lot,

I don't really work on the trail surface since I don't have a clue what the crew is actually doing by racking shaping and pounding the tril surface with a flat shovel, but I have been allowed to do erosion control work and project finessing.

What is cool is that whatever I am doing the crew is OK with. In my own mind I am accomplishing something positive, but is reality I may not be accomplishing anything important.

If you get a chance check out the new trail, it is a ripper. I am hoping Ebike's will be allowed for riders who volunteer to do trail maintenance. What a Country!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Bike Park Phase II 99% Complete-bike-parkberm.jpg  

Sedona Bike Park Phase II 99% Complete-mcgill-t-shirt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Today I went back out to the Bike Park to do some more erosion control work on a long drain ditch above the section of trail past the first berm. It will be interesting how that section of the skills park will drain in a big monsoon dumper.

After chain sawing a bunch of dead trees as water diverters and securing some waddles below the end of the drain ditch it will be interesting if the water on the slope above can be divertered away from the Flow trail. It seems like rain washes out the small clay particles and leaves a really sandy finish which isn't ideal.

At about 2:00 the Sedona construction inspector showed up to review the project status. He had a big drawing of the project and made notes on the drawing while he walked the whole trail. During the inspection I was helping the FINISHER make up some Quan Capping soil as shown in the picture. This is special dirt to fill in trail low spots to make the trail very smooth. This is the final pimping before completing the entire build.

According to Jeff the boss-man the inspector signed off on the project so I am sure the crew will be celebrating tonight. Hopefully the trail will be available to ride over the 4th. of July holiday. I am assuming they need some signage up with some basic rules.

It will be interesting how riders return back to the starting point. During practice runs riders just rode back up the trial they just down. If the run is busy that could be a safety issue. The current proposed return is at least five times longer than just back tracking. It will be interesting how many riders will break the rules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sedona Bike Park Phase II 99% Complete-quan-cap-dirt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Went back up to the Bike Park to check out the how the FINISHER'S work was coming on the new trail. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAq0lcOYHNg) shows a compaction technique he perfected for the rollers on the new trail.

If your interested in checking out the new trail Over the Edge has posted on their Facebook page that they are holding a bike park meet up on Saturday at 5 PM. If you come early enough there will be free pizza for all those who show-up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    SB2; You are up to your usual great works on behalf of our favorite sport. THANKS!
    Keep it up , old man.
    cheers.TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    SB2; You are up to your usual great works on behalf of our favorite sport. THANKS!
    Keep it up , old man.
    cheers.TS
    Thanks TS. One thing I have learned from helping the McGill trail crew is that the dirt used for this project was not the best for this kind of project. There was a lot of rock in the soil that created a lot of extra effort in the shaping process.

Going forward as the trail is ridden and subject to heavy rain the surface is going to erode and the chunks of rock are going to appear on the surface making for a rough ride. This trail is going to require a lot of maintenance to keep it in good shape.

The other problem is that at this point there is no good patching material for the potholes that will appear in the near future. Hopefully the watering problem may be partially resolved. Currently there is a small diameter fire hose running though the project on the ground. The idea is to cut the hose and install fittings to allow hoses to be attached for trail watering to do repairs and aid in compaction in torn up areas.

These types of trails take tens of thousands of dollars each year to keep in good shape. It will be interesting if the City is prepared to fund the future maintenance or volunteers are will to do the coming work for FREE.