Addicted to 2 wheels

Sedona Advice - Need to take my newbie 20 year old nephew - Where to go for 12 miles?

I am off to Sedona with the family and my Jersey nephew who has no real mtb experience. I have never riden there.

I was going to sneak out with him at 5:30 on Saturday morning to hit some single track. What would be a fun 12 or so miles of mainly single track. What would be real memorable for my nephew, but not make him puke and hate me?

If there was an alt line of the good around there for me to do while he recoperates, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Take Templeton trail West and then see if you can find the link and ride Easy Breezy back to HT trail which then links back up with Templeton. If he can handle that, then take him up Slim Shady which starts at the intersection of HT and Templeton. That will end up near the Bike n Bean. They also will give you good directions to Easy Breezy.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Anything online for rough maps for Sedona mtb? I am not looking for a complex route.

Or where do I buy a map?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Anything online for rough maps for Sedona mtb? I am not looking for a complex route.

Or where do I buy a map?
    Bike and Bean has the Beartooth map. It has all of the legit trails on it and is accurate to scale. They'll be able to recommend a good route.

As far as true beginner trails, there aren't many in Sedona. I wouldn't worry so much about mileage as fun. Even locals get discouraged when they see how few miles they have pedaled. Having said that, Bell Rock Pathway is an easy out and back 8 miles, you could add on Big Park Loop for another couple of miles if he's feeling it. This would be the most "beginner friendly" ride in Sedona.

If you wanted to be on the far West side of Sedona, making a loop out of Aerie and Cockscomb trails would be fun. These are dabbing into the intermediate end of the spectrum...

I wouldn't take a beginner up Slim Shady- maybe down, but up is no fun, especially for a beginner.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Woahey is much more knowledgable but gotta get off the BellRock path! Maybe Bellrock to Llama?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatass View Post
    Woahey is much more knowledgable but gotta get off the BellRock path! Maybe Bellrock to Llama?
    For a true beginner (somebody who has never been on dirt before), Bell Rock is enough. If you want to avoid BRP, I'd hit Big Park Loop. If he's okay with that, try Templeton; if Big Park is too much stick to Bell Rock Path...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Thanks for your help. Bike plans got scuttled since we had too much going on and not enough room. I hope to get up there soon!

I did get the newbie nephew out on Hawes Trails right before dark on Sunday. He did great.