mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sedona - 3 days - Help me choose!

I read through the thread with all of the trail descriptions and it's absolutely overwhelming, especially for someone who has never been to Sedona (I'm coming from Maryland)

Any suggestions for great riding with great scenery? I have 3 days, am in good shape and have good technical skills. I need help narrowing it down, I can't believe how many trails are out there, wow. Any trails that are absolute "must-do's?"

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Here's my list of Sedona favorites:

1. Hangover
    2. Hogs
    3. Shades, H E, Shades
    4. Mascal, Anaconda
    5. Under the Radar, Pyramid
    6. Chuckwagon
    7. Shades, HT, Llama
    8. Templeton aka Cathedral Rock
    9. Ledge and Airy
    10. Jordan, Soldiers Pass, Tea Cup

Chuckwagon has great views and a bit less tech. When are your dates?
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I will be in Sedona April 2.3, and 4. I am going to be in Albuquerque for 2 days, Gallup 2 days, and Sedona 3 days. All new places for me. After years of riding in Moab and Fruita I am trying some terrain.

Thanks for the list, I am going to definitely look into those!

-Dave

mtbr member
    The high mesa desert trail system in Gallup is pretty fun but that can be done in a day. The nearby trails in the Zuni Mtns may still be snowed in.

You can't go wrong with any of Zul's recommendations above.
    Last edited by rockman; 03-10-2010 at 02:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was planning on hitting Gallup on the way to Sedona and again on the way back. I've heard good things about that area. 2-3 good trail recommendations in Gallup would be awesome!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I've only ridden the 3rd and 2nd mesa loops (basically the Dawn to Dusk race course) and parked at the west end TH on Mentmore Rd. That was 12 or 13 miles but you can add more milage by continuing on to 1st Mesa. Or just start on that end which is closer to Gallup. In the Zuni's I've heard good things about Quasimoto, Quaking Aspen, and Purple Haze. There's a bunch of trails but most are between 7000 and 8000 feet and might (probably) be snow covered or muddy in early April. The best bet is if March goes out like a lamb.

This is a great guidebook for the area:
    http://www.gallupwaypoints.com/

Post up on the NM board to see if the higher stuff is open. The Mesa trail system is all above 6000' so that's no guarantee either. Although in most years it's probably rideable year round. This year has been a bit different. Even by Maryland standards, no?

Members who have read this thread: 0