mtbr member
    Mar 2012

the secret is out, publishing Secret, K-trail & Tech loop on singletracks.com

I'll soon be publishing rides from the Gold Canyon/Apache Land trail system on singletracks.com
    I live in Bisbee and entered the trails I ride down there along the San Pedro River on singletracks.com. There has been an increase in the amount of riders using these trails and I'm happy to see that. Since then I have done this with several other trails and trail systems. I just finished with the Usery Mountain system.

Recently I published the Vortex trail at Apache Land in Gold Canyon.

I am opening this thread to find out how riders feel about this, I am particularly interested in the opinion of all the people who have worked so hard to build and maintain this great trail system.

Team God!
    dude don't do it!

mtbr member
    arizonaglider, I don't have a problem with it. When I started the original thread on here last January, I was at once pleased and terrified to see how fast word spread. But a year on, and I can only say that the trails are in better shape for having been ridden by more riders. More ridership means more awareness and "policing" to keep the motorized traffic off the trails. Of course, I can only speak for myself, and there are many who have put in far more time and effort than I have, but as far as I am concerned seeing them being ridden and enjoyed by fellow mountainbikers is what it's about. I would only ask one thing. We are trying to redirect traffic up to the Cloudview parking lot instead of taking off from Apache Land. If you need coordinates to that parking area, let me know and I'll be happy to provide them to you.

Phil
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    GilaMonster,
    Okay. I understand that the Apache Land parking area means access through private land and I do know where the Cloudview parking area is. I can write up future trail ride submissions to singletracks from that entry point and will try to work with the singletracks member who submitted the original "Gold Canyon" trail submission to redirect entry. I met "transition senior" on the trail last week and will be riding with him next Tuesday. I am also working with the chief editor of singletracks.com. I won't publish anything there further without more contact with people like yourself. I like your attitude, thanks.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    arizonaglider, I don't have a problem with it. When I started the original thread on here last January, I was at once pleased and terrified to see how fast word spread. But a year on, and I can only say that the trails are in better shape for having been ridden by more riders. More ridership means more awareness and "policing" to keep the motorized traffic off the trails. Of course, I can only speak for myself, and there are many who have put in far more time and effort than I have, but as far as I am concerned seeing them being ridden and enjoyed by fellow mountainbikers is what it's about. I would only ask one thing. We are trying to redirect traffic up to the Cloudview parking lot instead of taking off from Apache Land. If you need coordinates to that parking area, let me know and I'll be happy to provide them to you.

Phil
    So is it the parking of cars that's the issue or riding through to the gate? Just curious and regardless Im assuming people are starting to complain.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Douger-1, the neighbors have begun having problems with the quad traffic, and have blocked their access through Apache Land. Nobody has complained about us parking along the road there or for using the gate, but technically we are crossing private property to get to the gate. Kevin and I met with a State Land Trust agent last week and put up (replaced) the state sign at the gate; he asked just out of curiosity what the landowner thought of our accessing the gate through their property. Truthfully, I don't know. I do know that Kevin worked his a$$ off to clear the trail up to the parking lot, so it is just as easy now to ride to Cloudview as it would be to ride out to Apache Land. Just trying to be proactive and keep peace with the neighbors and the landowner, and Cloudview is a huge parking lot with lots of room.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    arizonaglider, I am also leading an AZ Spring Fling pre-ride on Wednesday, meeting at Cloudview. We will be riding Cougar, Gila Monster and K, and depending on time and how the group feels, might throw in Quartz Ridge. You're more that welcome to join us. Meeting at 1 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    GilaMonster,
    Thanks so much for the invitation. I would really like to meet you. I have been planning a big group ride for weeks however. We are taking the shuttle up South Mountain for the gravity trip down. I'll be riding with transition senior on the trails Tuesday. I've asked the editor at st.com to delete my Vortex ride from Apache Land and I'm planning all future submissions to be written up from Cloudview. I hope we can meet up in the next three weeks that I'll be in the area. I love the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonaglider View Post
    GilaMonster,
    Thanks so much for the invitation. I would really like to meet you. I have been planning a big group ride for weeks however. We are taking the shuttle up South Mountain for the gravity trip down. I'll be riding with transition senior on the trails Tuesday. I've asked the editor at st.com to delete my Vortex ride from Apache Land and I'm planning all future submissions to be written up from Cloudview. I hope we can meet up in the next three weeks that I'll be in the area. I love the trails.
    Send me a PM if you have time later in the week, the group did a nice easy 20-mile loop this morning that pretty much runs the best of everything.

mtbr member
    GM, why are you trying to get traffic up to the Cloudview TH? Are we getting complaints from neighboring houses?

mtbr member
    Sorry just saw you answered douger

mtbr member
    We started from there this morning, and it was pretty sweet. Plenty o parking, and since The One We Call K cleaned up the old trail back up to the parking lot, you can get a really sweet 20 mile loop in from there. Better all around, and keeping peace with the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    After reading the replies to this post from GilaMonster I have contacted the editor of singletracks.com to ask him to delete the entry on singletracks publishing the Apache Land entry point. I did not initially publish that trail head so it is up to him to work with the originator of that submission. I have also asked him to delete my submission there for the Vortex Trail. I would still like to submit an entry point for the Gold Canyon trails in the future but I would like to submit an entry from the Cloudview parking area instead. I welcome any advise about this proposed future submission. I only titled this thread as "the secret is out " to get attention about this issue.