Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Seat dropper: first impressions

I just installed a seat dropper on my bike. I had been told by several friends that I should get one. At first I was a little put off by the price. However, after hours of research I decided to pull the trigger and buy one. Once installed I took my bike to south mountain to try it out. The trail I rode was Mormon/national. I rode the fire road with the seat post fully extended. At the end of the fireroad, I lowered the seat for the initial drop into the creek bed. After making the short climb out of the creek bed, I hit the button and my seat was fully extended once again. This may not seem like a very big deal, but at that moment I was absolutely positive that I had made the right decision to purchase the seat dropper. My only regret is that I did not buy one sooner. Being able to climb with a seat that is fully extended, and then lower it to any position necessary to traverse the terrain, is an awesome experience. This became very apparent on the lower section of National. Being able to ride the technical features with the seat lowered, and then climb up the remainder of the hill, made the ride very enjoyable. If you have not yet tried a seat dropper, I highly recommend one. There are several models available. All have good features as well as limitations. Needless to say I'm pretty stoked.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Welcome to 2009, bro

Just busting your eggs. The dropper is arguably one of the most useful pieces of bike technology to come out in recent years that can actually make you a faster rider.

mtbr member
    +1 on droppers being one of the biggest impact pieces to come along for quite a while.. A dropper post isnt a "should i or shouldnt it" item any longer.. Its a for sure item on every bike ill forever have..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    I'm dangerously close to ordering a Kind Shock i900. PricePoint has them for $220. Any reason not to?

Gumnut Peddler
    Which dropper did you go with? I have been looking at them for a while (and praying for a massive price drop somewhere) but they still seem to be up around the $150 - $200 mark.

Did you go remote activated, or lever under the seat?

EDR
    I got one 2 years ago almost now.....hands down the best money I've ever spent on my bike for our terrain. Get a remote option. I was hesitant to put stuff on my bars but it just works. Fiddling with an under-seat lever is no match for keeping your hands on the bars when needed.

To Eazy-E. IIRC the 900 is a set-back post where the I950 is a straight post. That's the only thing to consider as far as I know. I have the I950r, did not want a set-back.

These things ROCK for SoMo type riding... a lot of quick ups and downs. Heck, I think I use my dropper more than my shifter sometimes. The only caveat is that when you have to ride without one you feel like a complete newb. It's like cheating

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'm dangerously close to ordering a Kind Shock i900. PricePoint has them for $220. Any reason not to?
    If it has no remote, it is worthless.
    Check my pulse...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    Agreed. The i900r has the remote, 900...no remote.
    I hope this is what Easy is looking at > Kind Shock I900R Adjustable W/Remote at Price Point

Still, consider the set back vs. straight when buying. Also the KS remote can take the place of your inboard ODI grip clamp. I don't use it that way but a nice option if you are short on bar space.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Game changer. No doubt.

Gumnut Peddler
    82 grams is not too bad either considering the gains you are able to achieve with your riding style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Installed a KS on my FS trail bike. Then decided to go simple and sold the bike off as I'm tired of the maintainence after every ride.

Now I'm on SS rigid. Simplicity at its best. The only thing that non rigid is my dropper post. Can't live without one.

Huffy Rider
    I'm sad, I must be worthless.

My other ride is your mom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I got one 2 years ago almost now.....hands down the best money I've ever spent on my bike for our terrain. Get a remote option. I was hesitant to put stuff on my bars but it just works. Fiddling with an under-seat lever is no match for keeping your hands on the bars when needed.

To Eazy-E. IIRC the 900 is a set-back post where the I950 is a straight post. That's the only thing to consider as far as I know. I have the I950r, did not want a set-back.

These things ROCK for SoMo type riding... a lot of quick ups and downs. Heck, I think I use my dropper more than my shifter sometimes. The only caveat is that when you have to ride without one you feel like a complete newb. It's like cheating
    Good looking out. I'm probably going to go with the i950. Of course, it'll have a remote. I've seen them some places for sub $200. It's just money, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Wow!

Finally...I hate the seat angle adjustments on the available droppers. And the side play is annoying.

Only $23.75 per point! that's not too bad.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I'm sad, I must be worthless.
    hmmmm...come to think of it, my ex had no remote..maybe that was her issue (surely it wasn't me..)...I would have given everything for a simple on/off switch..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Welcome to 2009, bro
    Haha.

No Clue Crew
    Nope.

Yep.

And, this also deserves a mention... the Kind Shock remotes are designed to be one half of your lock-on grips. This puts the lever as close to your thumb as possible. I just whittled around on a buddy's bike with a Reverb on it this weekend while waiting for the shuttle vehicles. I REALLY did not like having to reach for the lever. With the KS it's easier than shifting.

And, hands down, the best money you will spend on your bike if you do any technical riding.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Good looking out. I'm probably going to go with the i950. Of course, it'll have a remote. I've seen them some places for sub $200. It's just money, right?
    That's what I'm running. Got mine for around 220.00
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I picked up a Specialized Comand Post in April. Kept putting off getting one because of the cost. Now I can't seem to live without it. Dropper post and tubeless tires are the best two upgrades I've done.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Game changer. No doubt.
    exactly. biggest change since going to a fs bike.

also, i think its worth noting the insanely good customer service that KS has. the cartridge in mine **** the bed after a couple months of sedona riding this winter (constant use)... lost about an inch on the extension (thats what she said). talked to them on the phone & via email... sent it in and had it back in less than a week.

then i stripped the teeth on the seat angle adjustment... likely because i didnt line it up properly and then cranked it down and it eventually slipped. happened a few times and stripped the hell out of the teeth... mostly my fault although i do think its a shitty design, though. once again... talked to ron and then sent it in. Again, it was back within a week, free of charge. impressive to say the least.

no problems since but they do need to work on that angle adjustment, imo.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I just ordered one. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all the persuasive endorsements.

mtbr member
    the remote is a must have... Its so nice not to have to take my hands off the grips to adjust the seat up or down..

One of the things i like about the ks lev that i just got is the attachment point for the hose is on a ring at the bottom of the post-- so the hose isnt moving up and down with the seat.. It stays in place.. Also keeps the hose away from you and makes it less likly to get caught by a branch or something like that and ripped out.. I really liked that feature.. Plus the remote seems to be more robust then the reverb i used to have..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Huffy Rider
    It's a must have for some people, I like my lever under the seat, KISS....less stuff to worry about, maintain, fail, etc. I guess I am in the minority, and worthless. I am sure I would be a better rider if I had a remote, being mediocre is ok with me.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    It's a must have for some people, I like my lever under the seat, KISS....less stuff to worry about, maintain, fail, etc. I guess I am in the minority, and worthless. I am sure I would be a better rider if I had a remote, being mediocre is ok with me.
    Oh don't poo poo on yourself I know you're just being facetious but it really just comes down to where you ride. If I'm not mistaken you are in Flag. Sure, plenty of opportunity for using the dropper but you have longer sustained climbs and downs so reaching under the seat every so often to make an adjustment is probably no biggie and works out quite well. If you rode National or trails like it weekly you'd feel differently as those trails are a plethora of techie ups followed by techie downs. That's where quickly making the adjustment while keeping your hands on the bars comes in handy.

Your not worthless!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast