sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006

SDMB Shuttle-Tastic October Last Saturday Ride- Lemmon Drop

Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists October Last Saturday Ride (Mt. Lemmon, Tucson):

For October, SDMB and Southwest Trekking have partnered for the Last Saturday Ride for shuttles on Mount Lemmon. Shuttles will pick up at Ave De Suzenu (the bottom of Milagrosa) at 6AM and 8AM, with drop offs at the Upper Big Spring, Green Mountain, and the top of Aspen Draw trail. Riders can choose their own adventure for the day, riding anything from a full Lemmon Drop to a nice run down Milagrosa, with numerous bail out points and stretches of road between trailheads. The best part is the shuttle is it's free for SDMB members, and only a $10 donation for non-members. To become a member before the ride, please go to JOIN SDMB | Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists 1 year of membership is only $25,money that goes directly towards advocacy for Mountain Biking in Tucson and nationwide

PLEASE NOTE: Mt. Lemmon Riding is some of the most technical riding in Tucson, with lots of rock, drops, climbing, and exposure. This is a self-guided ride, and folks who are unfamiliar with the trails and routes should hook up with groups who know the way. SDMB is providing the ride up the mountain so that you don't have to worry about the details of the shuttle, but you will be entirely self-guided and self-supported after the drop off. Please plan accordingly.

When: Saturday, October 27. Shuttles will leave promptly at 6AM and 8AM. Please be at Suzenu early to allow time for loading bikes and people.

Where: Ave De Suzenu. From Catalina Highway and Snyder, head East on Snyder then turn North (left) on Ave De Suzenu. Park near the gate at the dead end. Parking here is limited, so riders are strongly encouraged to leave vehicles at Le Buzz and carpool to the trailhead.

The ride: Anything from Milagrosa to the full Lemmon Drop, including but not limited to Aspen Draw, 1918, Secret, Bigelow, Incinerator Ridge, Green Mountain, Bug Spring, Prison Camp/Molino Basin, and Milagrosa Ridge. See SDMB.org and TucsonMTB for trail descriptions. Any and all sections of trail connect to Catalina Highway.

RSVP REQUIRED: Each shuttle run can take 14 people, so you need to RSVP. Email me at ekpilling@hotmail.com to secure your space. I will be keeping a running list of who is on what shuttle in the rides section of tucsonmtb.com. Please check there to coordinate groups and make sure I got your email.

Should be a great ride! Post up on tucsonmtb.com with any questions!

Tucson, AZ
    Dang....gotta be in Phoenix for a conference that day.

Kathleen in AZ
    Very interested! If enough people sign up, will there perhaps be a 10 AM pickup added???

mtbr member
    Its looking like that mountian is gonna be busy that day with 15ish heading up in my group? Might have to see about getting a ride from you? I think 1 from r group might have already contacted you? Will let ya know. Thanks.
    JRA

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Very interested! If enough people sign up, will there perhaps be a 10 AM pickup added???
    The 6AM and 8AM shuttles can each take 14 people; if we fill those up we can look at a 10AM but for now we're locked in with these. There's still lots of space. Hope you guys can make it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also interested, but not familiar with this challenge. Did the Whole Enchilada in Moab, by comparison.
    Michael
    old guy

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Man, super fun riding. I did one run (I think this is the proper order): Green Mountain, Bug Springs, Prison Camp and Milagrosa. Fantastic run.

No Clue Crew
    Man, I hate that I can't get down there very often...

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk...

mtbr member
    Anyone have a map/ gpx / description of the whole lemon drop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    Also interested, but not familiar with this challenge. Did the Whole Enchilada in Moab, by comparison.
    I'd say Lemmon Drop is a little harder. You don't get the super long descents like on the WE.
    There is a lot of climbing for how much descending we do. It's also a bit more technical, especially at the end for Miligrosa. It may only be 5 miles, but at the end of the day it's a long 5 miles.

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepVI View Post
    I'd say Lemmon Drop is a little harder. You don't get the super long descents like on the WE.
    There is a lot of climbing for how much descending we do. It's also a bit more technical, especially at the end for Miligrosa. It may only be 5 miles, but at the end of the day it's a long 5 miles.

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to do the full drop (which I think could be as much as 35 miles). From Prison Camp down would be about 8-9 miles, from upper Bugs down would be about 14-15 ish, and Green down would be 20+? Sections can also be skipped by riding the road.

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by masterp2 View Post
    Way Harder. Way Way More Better! Pretty much no signage though so very easy to get lost.

Stats are something like 30miles, 6000ft climbing and 12000 descending. Long tough day.

mtbr member
    Did Aspen, Sunset, 1918, Bear Wallow, Bigelow Rd., Kellog, Incinerator (almost clean - the 3rd and 4th from the bottom SBs are just too tight for me), Green, Bug, Prison...and ran out of water.

Saw most of the out-of-town peeps, but I don't think they recognized me. Or maybe they DID, and that's why they didn't stop to say anything!

HA!
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Thanks to the crew who gave us the very welcome pbr and burgers at (molino?). Tough ride but definitely one for the az must do list!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Ya thanks Sonoranbiker, Les and others for the awesome PBR's and burgers. Those Tucson boys know how to come down Mnt lemmon in style. Was alble to fly up to millie with no prob with that burger in my belly. Will has my #, give a shout when your around.
    JRA