Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Large wheels & one gear

Screw Superbowl weekend !!

So who's riding that day and who is torn between the two? I say Football out and Mt Biking in. Bunch of pig skin, Niel Diamond lovin, give me the ball pansies!!

Discuss....rant on me...rant on .DHF.....Kiss your mom or whatever you will !!
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

I am Walt

Football!

I'll be camped in front of the HD plasma most of the day - wouldn't miss it...ever.

That said, I'll be getting a ride in Sunday morning somewhere. TBD.
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    Not torn here...I pooh-pooh la football...I say RIDE! But I'm a girl so no big news and it probably doesn't really count.
    ~~~

Still working on exactly what the annual f^*& the Superbowl ride/run will be, but anyone in the Prescott area is welcome, just gimme a buzz.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You don't like Neil Diamond?

pedaller

Go both ways!

Ride early - watch the game later.

You can drink more knowing you burned off some calories earlier!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Occidental Tourist
    super what now?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    I'll be camped in front of the HD plasma most of the day - wouldn't miss it...ever.

That said, I'll be getting a ride in Sunday morning somewhere. TBD.
    As far as I am concerned, the typical NFL dude represents virtually everything I hate about this country. Fat, beer guzzling, football loving redneck bullies. However, I really do admire Walt's enthusiasm for just about everything he does, including his seemingly total love for the Superbowl.

Walt, I know you probably think I am f'ing with you, but I am not. I read your comment and was, well, it made me happy. I truly dig your passion, and am probably a bit envious that I cannot equal it in many aspects of my life.

I am not kidding.
    I AM JUST A JERK

NardoSS
    Hmmm, I like the Diamond, but any major ball game usually keeps the gyms empty, dirt trails empty, and roads clear. Perhaps an exploratory ride in the Phoenix mtns or a mix of stuff at SOMO instead of tele watching.

Hi!!!
    I live in SW Idaho, but lurk in the AZ forum quite alot since I'm from there and have many family and friends there and at times wished I lived there than here.

Anyhoo.....

Hopefully mountain biking out in the Owyhee Desert that morning and then camping out in front of the 27" old school TV (am I the only one without a big ass HDTV plasma??) for the rest of the day.

I love mountain biking and I love spectator sports.

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    As far as I am concerned, the typical NFL dude represents virtually everything I hate about this country. Fat, beer guzzling, football loving redneck bullies.
    There is truely something wrong with you. Are you talking about Nascar or football?

mtbr member
    Football vs Riding? No contest, I'll be on the trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Architect
    I'll be on the trail Sunday. Not sure which one, but wouldn't mind getting together with some other people in the Tucson Area.
    Jake
    _________
    In Place Architecture
    Mountain Bike in Tucson:
    http://tucsonbiketrails.wikispaces.com

drink coffee, ride.
    Trails v. Ball Sports? Trails win, will be the 5th year in a row - skip the game, ride empty trails, unless of course it is raining. I'm an AZ rider, if it isn't dusty, I don't ride.

I'll download the commercials over the next few days.

mtbr member
    Never liked football much, I'll be riding.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Are you talking about Nascar or football?
    Yes.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Hi!!!
    Hey --- does Glendale get the '08 Super Bowl?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    Trails v. Ball Sports? Trails win, will be the 5th year in a row - skip the game, ride empty trails, unless of course it is raining. I'm an AZ rider, if it isn't dusty, I don't ride.

I'll download the commercials over the next few days.

Sunday Feb, 4
    High: 72°F RealFeel®: 72°F
    Delightful with plenty of sunshine

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Hey --- does Glendale get the '08 Super Bowl?
    Spent 500 million dollars and gives tax breaks.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I'm with Walt...and may be in the morning ride also....but I never miss the Superbowl. Even when there are teams like I hate like the Cowboys or Bills or Patriots in it. CycleJunkie is actually coming over with his family too. So we should have a good time. At least we know the kids will! I'm just hoping for a good game this year.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Last year a friend and I made the mistake of riding to Bartlet Lake from Cave Creek on Super Bowl Sunday. Even though we left at 9 or 10 the Steelers bar was packed and the traffic was horrible. Fun to see all the drunks walking around at 10 in the morning though.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BelaySlave]... camping out in front of the 27" old school TV (am I the only one without a big ass HDTV plasma??) ...QUOTE]

Boy, what I wouldn't give for 27" old school TV. Pretty sure my TV is smaller than my monitor.

My wifes workin' Sunday so I have the kids therfore riding is out. The kids and I may or may not watch.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Sunday shuttles, drink beer, go home and watch while eating a fat bucket of wings. I'll do the calorie burnin on Saturday.

parenting for gnarness
    Anyone up for a big road ride Sunday AM. East Side Dark Side? Go out to Saguaro Lake, then Usery pass? 3 hrs-ish?

NardoSS
    Maybe I'll watch the Superbowl when the Cardinals are playing. I'll be in Tucson riding the chutes instead this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    As far as I am concerned, the typical NFL dude represents virtually everything I hate about this country. Fat, beer guzzling, football loving redneck bullies. However, I really do admire Walt's enthusiasm for just about everything he does, including his seemingly total love for the Superbowl.

Walt, I know you probably think I am f'ing with you, but I am not. I read your comment and was, well, it made me happy. I truly dig your passion, and am probably a bit envious that I cannot equal it in many aspects of my life.

I am not kidding.
    Oh, GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Maybe I'll watch the Superbowl when the Cardinals are playing
    So you NEVER plan on watching it?!? You should see it once in your life.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    CycleJunkie is actually coming over with his family too. So we should have a good time.
    I guess I didn't get the memo...
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    E-mailed ya
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Salty Dog

Seven Springs on Sunday??

I honestly think having Super Bowl on Sunday is good for all of us. Those who eat and breathe the sport can use the day in anticipation (Walt) while waiting for the magic kickoff to occur.

Those who don't give a rip about football can enjoy the day riding, walking, hiking or cavorting in the bushes.

I enjoy Neil Diamond, but normally play something more upbeat during riding.

So, is anyone else up for an assault on Seven Springs to warm up for the game?

Like the Quad of last Sunday, this one is not for the faint of heart.

I found a decent loop out there that doesn't require an out and back, or one way with shuttle.

Any takers?

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Meatpuppet
    Pardon my frankness, but football is gay......

I dont play it(did as a kid), and never understood being so into something you can't do yourself. just my opinion.
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr

I dont play it(did as a kid), and never understood being so into something you can't do yourself. just my opinion.
    I love it...I played through college and it's been my #1 participatory or spectator sport my entire life. I understand those that don't like it, hate it, have no interest, etc, but it's a pretty important part of my life...of course, now I'm reduced to just watching. I never miss the big college, regular season, Monday night, playoff games and the Super Bowl.
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    I'm with ya there buddy. I rarely miss an NFL game or my favorite college teams games.

There's one sport I'd rather watch and that's World Cup Soccer. Best sport bar non. I've give my left n#t to be a pro Soccer player. andyes, I know most Americans hate it and don't get it but I love it.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

wrecking crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    So, is anyone else up for an assault on Seven Springs to warm up for the game?

Like the Quad of last Sunday, this one is not for the faint of heart.

I found a decent loop out there that doesn't require an out and back, or one way with shuttle.

Any takers?

Tommy
    Hey Tommy,

I'm curious as to which trails you are doing out there.

6 or 7 of us did a 7 Springs Recon Ride ride a month back on Dec 16th. Our route was Cave Creek Tr #4 to Skunk Creek Tr #246 to Quien Sabe Tr #250 to Skull Mesa Tr #246 to Cottonwood Tr #247 back to CC Tr #4 and back to staging. That 17 miles of trail took us 7 hours...Most of the upper trails on Quien Sabe were toast. Many places the trail was virtually invisible and babyhead rocks had covered what used to be rideable 2 years ago. I think the fire/subsequent rains a year or so ago had really devastated some of those trails. The descent down Skull Mesa was totally thrashed. Deep ruts with eroding soil made it impossible to ride. Cottonwood Tr on the southern end was hit and miss. The northern end was better but you rode through fields of catclaw.

Map of the route we took: Route in Yellow.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...?album=7&pos=0

Still, a great adventure...but definitely a ton of hike-a-bike.

su ling
    Last edited by su.ling~; 01-31-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    ~~~

mtbr member
    ... World Cup Soccer. Best sport bar non. I've give my left n#t to be a pro Soccer player. and yes, I know most Americans hate it and don't get it but I love it.
    word.

I love it...I played through college and it's been my #1 participatory or spectator sport my entire life.
    Cycling: something us skinny guys can not suck so much at.

Large wheels & one gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr

I agree. I am into or I like sports that are individual. Like Mt Biking. It is all up to me to get to the top or do such and such amount of miles. I don't have to rely on anyone (not saying that's bad) just isn't my character.

There are those that have to ride with others. They can't go on a ride by themselves....they should play football.

I am Walt

Upset Well now...

I don't see any smilies, so I'll go into attack-mode...

Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    I agree. I am into or I like sports that are individual. Like Mt Biking. It is all up to me to get to the top or do such and such amount of miles. I don't have to rely on anyone (not saying that's bad) just isn't my character.
    It's called teamwork. Playing well with others. Etc. Lots of virtues associated with that. Three of my kids swim, which is a very individual sport, but there is also an element of team and teamwork. There are many things to be gained by both individual and team sports.
    There are those that have to ride with others. They can't go on a ride by themselves....they should play football.
    Hmm...again, no smiley there. What are you trying to say, John? You read this forum, so you know I ride alone at least half the time, which I love, particularly at night. I also like the camraderie and friendship of riding with others. Do you ride with others ever? Or do you ride alone all the time? Nice, have fun. Must be nice being you.

BTW, were you one of the geeks that got picked on and beat up by the "jocks" and now you have some lingering resentment towards football and other team sports? Perhaps you don't like (are afraid of?) team sports because the "bar" of expectation and achievement isn't yours to set alone, so you can't set it as...low...as you otherwise might...
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.

Watch it kona.....your stepping on some sacred ground here. I didn't play football for school or anything but I played baseball and soccer and team sports can teach you a lot. I also ran track (and was a pubic hair from state) so I know individual sports too. There's a lot to be said and learned from playing team sports.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member

Ride in the morning, football in the afternoon

same thing I've done all football season. I even like watching the dogass Cardinals, until their playoff hopes are dashed, usually around mid October.

Sad thing about the Super Bowl is that the game has become an afterthought to all the pregame-halftime-overthetop-wardrobemalfunctioning-circus crap that goes on before and at halftime. Thank God for DVR's.

mtbr member
    I've taken solo mountain biking to a new level. not only do i not ride with groups, i ride without a bike! Other times i go without the bike, and stay in my house... with football on the TV.

Large wheels & one gear
    I don't see any smilies, so I'll go into attack-mode...

It's called teamwork. Playing well with others. Etc. Lots of virtues associated with that. Three of my kids swim, which is a very individual sport, but there is also an element of team and teamwork. There are many things to be gained by both individual and team sports.

Hmm...again, no smiley there. What are you trying to say, John? You read this forum, so you know I ride alone at least half the time, which I love, particularly at night. I also like the camraderie and friendship of riding with others. Do you ride with others ever? Or do you ride alone all the time? Nice, have fun. Must be nice being you.

BTW, were you one of the geeks that got picked on and beat up by the "jocks" and now you have some lingering resentment towards football and other team sports? Perhaps you don't like (are afraid of?) team sports because the "bar" of expectation and achievement isn't yours to set alone, so you can't set it as...low...as you otherwise might...

First.... My bad for not posting a smiley on this "There are those that have to ride with others. They can't go on a ride by themselves....they should play football." Total joke.

Second....My comment was not directed at anyone in particular. It was a general comment on the type of sports I like. Notice what I said about group sports..."I don't have to rely on anyone (not saying that's bad) just isn't my character".

Third....This "BTW, were you one of the geeks that got picked on and beat up by the "jocks" and now you have some lingering resentment towards football and other team sports? Perhaps you don't like (are afraid of?) team sports because the "bar" of expectation and achievement isn't yours to set alone, so you can't set it as...low...as you otherwise might..." wasn't necessary Walt. Alot of my friends were on the football team. The ones who didn't like me had issues because I was the one out in the parking lot with a crowd around me watching me freestyle on my bike. Never got beat up by them. Again, reread my post. I am saying what I like. The last part of the post was a joke. Just forgot the stupid smiley. I will make sure to include them in future posts so your insults will stay in your mouth.

Ps. I do ride with others and "Yes" It is nice being me.

Salty Dog

Yepper, that's what I had in mind... exactly

Geez su.ling,

Sure glad you said something. That's exactly the route I had in mind.

The first time we rode it we did the shuttle and parked at the west end.

The last time we rode it from the Cave Creek campground (northeast end) to the corral and back. Several creek crossings, etc. and had lots of fun. I was thinking about doing the loop you describe, but it sounds like the out-n-back would be good again.

Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~

Still, a great adventure...but definitely a ton of hike-a-bike.

su ling
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

I am Walt

Third....This "BTW, were you one of the geeks that got picked on and beat up by the "jocks" and now you have some lingering resentment towards football and other team sports? Perhaps you don't like (are afraid of?) team sports because the "bar" of expectation and achievement isn't yours to set alone, so you can't set it as...low...as you otherwise might..." wasn't necessary Walt. Alot of my friends were on the football team. The ones who didn't like me had issues because I was the one out in the parking lot with a crowd around me watching me freestyle on my bike. Never got beat up by them. Again, reread my post. I am saying what I like. The last part of the post was a joke. Just forgot the stupid smiley. I will make sure to include them in future posts so your insults will stay in your mouth.

Ps. I do ride with others and "Yes" It is nice being me.
    OK, now that that's all cleared up...
    Ride more; post less...

banned
    who's playing?

Large wheels & one gear

Watch it kona.....your stepping on some sacred ground here. I didn't play football for school or anything but I played baseball and soccer and team sports can teach you a lot. I also ran track (and was a pubic hair from state) so I know individual sports too. There's a lot to be said and learned from playing team sports.
    Crash, Don't hop on Walts bandwagon. Please reread my post. There is no finger pointing from what I said. I wrote.. "There are those (as a joke)" Not "There is AzWalt and CrashFLMB".

Now here is your smiley....

AKA shitbird
    I guess I'm sort of a football fan, I go to a few games every year but I can't tell you how much I DON'T care about the superbowl, haven't watched it in 3 years. Riding is so much better in so many ways. Y'all have fun at your dumb foosball party, I'll be enjoying empty trails.
    JRA

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    who's playing?

The Bad News Bears and the Colt 45 Pistols.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Well, since I consider Walt, Crash and Konapdlr all my friends, I believe I am entitled to say that all three of you are wrong.

The best sports in the world, without a doubt, are individual ball sports. Tennis, racquetball, paddleball, handball (not the team one), squash and so forth. I was 1/2 a pubic hair from state in all of these. Personal trainers, tournaments, travel, playing all day 5-6 days a week, against adults and celebrities. Yes, I played both Wilt Chamberlin and Ron Cey (the Peguin) in racquetball when I was just 12 and 13 and I smoked them.

Team sports have their merits, but there is nothing more pure than an individual sport. It is beauty. I suggest that Walt, Crash and Konapdlr get together and watch Chariots of Fire.

PS: I could not have more respect for the game of soccer and its players. Soccer players are simply amazing. However, I would rather insult Walt's family and get crushed to death during his fit of rage than watch a soccer game. Moreover, go ahead and love soccer, get all jazzed up when it's World Cup time, but please stop trying to convince us that soccer is growing in America. A cactus has a beter chance of growing on top of Mt. Everest than soccer has at growing in the U.S.

PSS: The heat was turned up a bit too much by some you guys in this thread. It's only a game.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I've never really been into any of these sports. Probably because I didn't grow up playing football, baseball, etc. Course, I lived in a pretty remote area. Skiing and mtbing were the only things to do really.

On a side note, I do think its funny that cyclists are given grief over wearing spandex when one of the most "American" sports features big guys in (gasp!) spandex piling on top of each other...

To each their own!
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast