Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,111

    "Scouting Ride" video in Cave Creek/Spur Cross area...

    Within the last couple of years, there have been threads about riding in Tonto National Forest northeast of Spur Cross. Most of the threads mention the fact that many of those trails are scattered with baby heads and are generally unridable in large portions. Another problem is that when Cave Creek actually "runs", just getting to the trail head for those trails is just a PITA.

    So, while perusing some hiking websites recently, I came upon the mention of a "short cut" route (other than Trail 274) that takes you to Cottonwood Spring from Spur Cross. Apparently the trail is used off and on by horses and hikers. So...the next step was seeing if this trail is ridable.

    So, in the spirit of "finding the new," I consulted Google maps, entering some waypoints into my GPS, and I was on my way.

    Since I got a new GoPro Hero3 (cheapo white edition) recently (isn't it required?), I thought I'd test it out on my ride. Now, I didn't make it all the way to Cottonwood Spring (where it meets 274), since after a small bit of HAB (and having to remove a cactus spine from the top of my toe(?)), it really felt like I had gone farther than the GPS had indicated. So, I cut it a bit short. But after checking out my piddly mileage and realizing it was much more ridable on the way back, I'm definitely going back soon.

    It's not an adventure like "Fat-bikecamping Through the Bradshaws", but it's my little couple-hour version of exploring.


  2. #2
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    890
    Nice! That's basically the way I started out exploring the Cave Creek/ Seven Springs area 20 years ago. There use to be a sporting goods store in Cave Creek called the Outdoor Store and sold copies of a USGS quad map with hand drawn trails, and I used this map many a time exploring most of the trails in the area, which lead to many epic 12 hour adventures over the years. I uploaded a copy of this map to my website along with an updated GPS trail map. The trail that you rode is known as 247A and connects up with 247, Cottonwood Trail and as you found out, it's more rideable from east to west, however, there is a HAB up from 247 in a few places. Next time, try a point to point from the Bronco TH (on Seven Springs Road) and take trail 245 to 247 to 247A, then cross over and ride through Spur Cross and out through Cave Creek Park. 245 and 247 is mostly rideable with a few short HAB's here and there. The worst section is 247A. This route is probably the most rideable route in the Seven Springs area with Trail 4 close behind. Cool country back in there!

    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Within the last couple of years, there have been threads about riding in Tonto National Forest northeast of Spur Cross. Most of the threads mention the fact that many of those trails are scattered with baby heads and are generally unridable in large portions. Another problem is that when Cave Creek actually "runs", just getting to the trail head for those trails is just a PITA.

    So, while perusing some hiking websites recently, I came upon the mention of a "short cut" route (other than Trail 274) that takes you to Cottonwood Spring from Spur Cross. Apparently the trail is used off and on by horses and hikers. So...the next step was seeing if this trail is ridable.

    So, in the spirit of "finding the new," I consulted Google maps, entering some waypoints into my GPS, and I was on my way.

    Since I got a new GoPro Hero3 (cheapo white edition) recently (isn't it required?), I thought I'd test it out on my ride. Now, I didn't make it all the way to Cottonwood Spring (where it meets 274), since after a small bit of HAB (and having to remove a cactus spine from the top of my toe(?)), it really felt like I had gone farther than the GPS had indicated. So, I cut it a bit short. But after checking out my piddly mileage and realizing it was much more ridable on the way back, I'm definitely going back soon.

    It's not an adventure like "Fat-bikecamping Through the Bradshaws", but it's my little couple-hour version of exploring.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,536
    COol, do you have a gpx?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbAZ44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,406
    outstanding thread ! that map is the bomb... Some of those concrete boxes however are not typically dry... map must have been made during an extreme drought

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: az3075's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    73
    All those trails are are only somewhat ridable...I was just there 3 weeks ago. Most ridable is Trail 4, but if you really want to enjoy the area, hike it.

  6. #6
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,946
    That's awesome, great job exploring some new stuff! It's proof that a little HAB can be rewarding.

  7. #7
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,601
    Yeah, I did trail 4 from east to west about a week ago and found most of it really enjoyable. The creek was running pretty good and had to do a bit of boulder hopping to stay dry during the crossings. As it turns south, there's a few HAB's and some rock strewn sections, but it sure has a remote feel and lots of potential.
    I'll have to get back out there to ride 247 east to west...
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Nice! That's basically the way I started out exploring the Cave Creek/ Seven Springs area 20 years ago. There use to be a sporting goods store in Cave Creek called the Outdoor Store and sold copies of a USGS quad map with hand drawn trails, and I used this map many a time exploring most of the trails in the area, which lead to many epic 12 hour adventures over the years. I uploaded a copy of this map to my website along with an updated GPS trail map. The trail that you rode is known as 247A and connects up with 247, Cottonwood Trail and as you found out, it's more rideable from east to west, however, there is a HAB up from 247 in a few places. Next time, try a point to point from the Bronco TH (on Seven Springs Road) and take trail 245 to 247 to 247A, then cross over and ride through Spur Cross and out through Cave Creek Park. 245 and 247 is mostly rideable with a few short HAB's here and there. The worst section is 247A. This route is probably the most rideable route in the Seven Springs area with Trail 4 close behind. Cool country back in there!
    Hey Dale, the site where I got the info also has the trail listed as 274A. However, I wasn't sure how much info I should have provided since (especially lately, especially around here) there's been a lot of talk over "unofficial" and "unsigned" trails on FS land. Then again, based on your old map, 247A has been around for awhile and I doubt it will become the new mecca of MTB. The the fact that the cactii reach well into the trail tells me that 247A is not overrun with traffic.

    Thanks for posting the link to those maps. I didn't realize your site was was back up. Yeah, heading east I felt like I was walking a lot, and since I was unfamiliar with the area, I cut it short....riding back west took a lot less time than I thought and I could have definitely gone a but more.

    That route from the Bronco TH sounds interesting. How long do you think it took you to to go from Bronco TH, to 247, 247A to Spur Cross?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    That's awesome, great job exploring some new stuff! It's proof that a little HAB can be rewarding.
    Definitely. Bring Your Own FLow.....but it's there if you're looking....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •