Eleven - it's one louder

Scottsdale hopes Desert Discovery Center will lure tourists to preserve

Hmmm. Mixed feelings about this idea. I'm all for (properly funded) programs to get more people to enjoy the desert, but as a rider who is just learing these trails, it doesn't bode well for our mountain biking interests. Some suspect that it is already Carla's agenda to get rid of or restrict mountain bikes on these trails and this program would crowd the trails more and bring hikers vs. bikers vs. horses issues to a head.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...ry-center.html
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

parenting for gnarness
    m'eh...all the hype sounds like it from the moron marketing types. most people who would go would hang out like they already do in the Gateway area. few of these tourists will get past Gateway loop, many of those that do will be airlifted out. No one who needs to hang out in the Discovery Center is going to make it up to Tom's Thumb. seems like a ginormous waste of money for me, might be good for a few local restaurants. if it pays for itself with fees, i'm for it - otherwise, its got boondoggle written all over it. Goto the Botanical Garden or the Zoo.

now as to the Carla and her eco-nazi friends, be loud and be vocal every chance you can in your opposition to those fools.

Meatbomb
    "We think it can be the No. 1 tourist attraction in the city,"

Really? What is the cities current number one tourist attraction?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    "We think it can be the No. 1 tourist attraction in the city,"

Really? What is the cities current number one tourist attraction?
    My guess is either the Suns Dancers or Tent City.

livin' the dream......
    Even if they build something like North Mountain Visitor Center or SMEEC @ somo, it would serve the same purpose. I don't have the numbers on those projects, but I know they did not cost between 30-70 million like the Disco center could cost.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Even if they build something like North Mountain Visitor Center or SMEEC @ somo, it would serve the same purpose. I don't have the numbers on those projects, but I know they did not cost between 30-70 million like the Disco center could cost.
    so this would be the 4th (at least) such place in the Valley...awesome! some little pet project of some "idea person" who feels the need to build build build since without building their job would have no purpose. vote against it, vote for that money to go into more Preserve Land or lower taxes. I live around the corner and won't ever go. If my guests want to discover the desert i will take them hiking or biking, or to the zoo where you can have an entire day of fun and education for the all ages.

meow
    It's called a PRESERVE for a reason, of which the Heads have lost sight of. The MSC used to be a great grass roots organization until a few years after the citizens voted for the tax to purchase land for the preserve. Then the city and politicos got power hungry and started taking over the deciding of what to do with it.

They want to make it a circus attraction so citizens feel like they're getting something of 'value'. The trails and trail heads that have been built are irreplaceable, appreciated and greatly valued. Citizens paid for it and we should have the right to vote whether or not we want this built. Take the money they want to spend on this ridiculous farce and purchase more open space instead, or funnel it into something socially useful like paying teachers better salaries.

Eleven - it's one louder
    I hear ya, Chollaball. The "I gotta leave a legacy and build something" mentality. I think what's there now is nice and very appropriate. I just noticed on my last visit that the road into the Gateway trailhead parking lot from Thompson Peak is called "Carla Way". Enough of the egos already.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad
    the road into the Gateway trailhead parking lot from Thompson Peak is called "Carla Way". Enough of the egos already.

rrrrrreally? i can certainly change that on my next illegal night ride (joking...)

i reread the article, and there did not appear to be a link for public comments to the city. anyone got one? if you do, please post it up.

my annotated summary of the comments in the Republic article are as follows. Easy to follow the money.

Gerald Miller, chairman of the city's McDowell Sonoran Preserve Commission - "who will pay for this?"
    John Sather, lead architect for the project - "h@ll yeah, i work on fees"
    Oliver Smith, chairman of the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy - "this will be the best thing ever!!!"
    Rick Kidder, president and CEO of the Scottsdale Area Chamber of Commerce - "the sky will fall if we don't build this".

if they build it, hopefully there will be some jumps and wall rides. I've been very disappointed with Gateway Center's opportunities for suburban hooliganism thus far.