Thread: Scottsdale

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Scottsdale

Thinking of an AZ trip in March. Was wondering where the best mtn biking is near Scottsdale and a good place to rent a decent bike ( I ride a Spec 29er and Salsa Mukluk). Visited Sedona last yr and loved the trails there but, my wife and I wanted to explore some new stuff. Grateful for any suggestions!
    Mike

mtbr member
    The Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve and McDowell Mountain Park are connected and have great riding in, over, and around the McDowell Mountains on the east side Scottsdale. March is an awesome time to come out here, too.

As far as a bike I'm sure there's something in Scottsdale but Fountain Hills Bikes is on the way out to McDowell Mountain Park and they always have a few Epics and Stumpjumpers for rent.

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...l-11x17-3d.pdf

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/P...Trails+Map.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Rage cycles, DNA Cycles have some good stuff. Also, you won't be far from PMP.

Phoenix Mountain Preserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't make it out to McDowell but I hear it's good. Sonoran preserve has a ton of stuff. Some of its pretty chunk and the uphill can end up as a hab for some but the views are great from Windgate pass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For bike rental I recommend AOA (Arizona Outback Adventure)...

Mountain Bike Rentals Scottsdale, Phoenix | Bike Rental AZ | Arizona Outback Adventures

They will also be able to give you maps of the local trails and above and beyond those, little further away but worth it, I recommend the trails in Cave Creek (talk to team at Flat Tire Bike Shop) and also Black Canyon.

Give it a crank
    There's some really nice new trails at the new McDowell Sonoran Preserve with three new trailheads.

Browns Ranch at the north end of Alma School Rd.
    Tom's Thumb Trail north at 128th St. which connects with Pemberton Trail.
    Granite Mountain trailhead at 136th St.

Brown's Ranch

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I second the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. I mostly ride from the Gateway trailhead as it is within 10 min ride from home. I need to check out the new trailheads.

Happy Trails

Scottsdale

Riding the wild desert trails (like upper Dixie Mine Trail) in McDowell Mountain Park (MMP) and McDowell Sonoran Preserve (MSP) is my recommendation, but don't miss a lap around the competitive loop track at the South end of MMP and the new downhill on Northwest end Pemberton clockwise . You can also make some great XC loops with Pemberton, Dixie Mine, Coachwhip and Windmill.

Meatbomb

In the rear with the beer
    Spur Cross cycles is great for rentals. She may deliver to your location, not sure about that though.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Meatbomb
    Keep an eye out for Az Spring Fling (AZSF) threads as we get closer to March. Lots of good group rides will be posted up in them.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Great resource

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Hey, thanks for this by the way. It's a lot to explore. I hit Sunrise (good), RingTail, Lost Dog (good and good), Quartz (good until it dropped into a wash and just stayed in the wash, then is sort of sucked), Westworld, some spurs, Taliesin down to Cactus, about 29.5 miles in all, on my first day. I still need to hit the northern stuff. I didn't realize there was so much back here. All pretty XC, on the rocky side, but not bad.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac