Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    windrider

The Scorpion King...

I've been meaning to post this for a while but a few months back I had a reptile and 'rachnid ride. The reptile was the very familiar Western Diamondback (I've seen enough snake threads on this forum to not feel the need of posting a pic) but the scorpion I am not so familiar with. The picture fails to do him justice because this sucker was big. When he ran across the trail in front of me I thought I was hallucinating and seeing a lobster. From the end of his pincers to where his tail curved was no less than 5.5 inches (insert your male measuring joke here.) I had no inclination to uncurl that tail and see how long he would actually stretch out.

I have since done a interweb search and think he might be a Hadrurus arizonensis (Cenobite- is this in your area of expertise?) If it is H.a. the dude/ette eats lizards and snakes, i.e. it's a badass although the website said it is not especially venomous. I don't think he'd do well against the Diamondback from earlier in the ride but he was a mean looking bugger nonetheless. So if you're a mile or so south of the Rock Springs trailhead on the BCT and see this desert dweller, say hello for me.

BRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Scorpion King...-scorpion-king....jpg  

BRM

mtbr member
    Wow we have Scorpions in our yard. I am glad that they are not this big lol...

Meatbomb
    Big is better.. you don't want to be stung by a small one.

Flaccid Member
    The barking scorpions are the ones that'll get ya.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

"No Clue Crew"
    Arachnids are not my cup of tea but I have come across enough of them in the field to confirm that your net search was accurate. That is H.arizonensis, the Desert Hairy Scorpion.
    It's always cool to find a monster like that !
    If you want to see creepy, wait until you run into a really big Scolopendra arizonensis, the Arizona Giant Centipede. They are creepy when they get really big !

I"ll have to dig up a video of one of the larger ones we found one night. I've handled the nastiest, most dangerous rattlesnakes and this thing had me acting like a little girl !

Meatbomb
    bark

windrider

Barker-ite "Hellraiser?..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Arachnids are not my cup of tea but I have come across enough of them in the field to confirm that your net search was accurate. That is H.arizonensis, the Desert Hairy Scorpion.
    It's always cool to find a monster like that !
    If you want to see creepy, wait until you run into a really big Scolopendra arizonensis, the Arizona Giant Centipede. They are creepy when they get really big !

I"ll have to dig up a video of one of the larger ones we found one night. I've handled the nastiest, most dangerous rattlesnakes and this thing had me acting like a little girl !
    Cenobite,

First, thanks for the reply. Second, what do you do that would shed more light on what "...in the field..." means? Your riding exploits here are documented but I can't seem to remember a connection to the reptile thing.

As an aside- I'm more of a Heinlein-ite but if your ID here is a Clive thing, good on ya. Isaac and Robert A. carbon date me but I am a sci-fi fan. Their fiction is getting closer and closer to reality.

Google-ing Scolopendra arizonensis now.

BR
    Last edited by bigrigmig; 01-20-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: to end quotation
    BRM

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigmig
    Cenobite,

First, thanks for the reply. Second, what do you do that would shed more light on what "...in the field..." means? Your riding exploits here are documented but I can't seem to remember a connection to the reptile thing.

As an aside- I'm more of a Heinlein-ite but if your ID here is a Clive thing, good on ya. Isaac and Robert A. carbon date me but I am a sci-fi fan. Their fiction is getting closer and closer to reality.

Google-ing Scolopendra arizonensis now.

BR
    I am a Clive Barker fan.
    What brought me here from IL is the wide variety of reptiles and more specifically, the 13 different sub species of rattlesnakes. Before I got into mountain biking, I would spend 3-4 nights a week and every weekend looking for, studying, documenting and photographing reptiles in AZ, CA, UT and MX.
    cerastes

mx3

Lutosus closeup

Concolor #2

In 2010, I focused more on mountain biking and didn't get out into the field much but I plan on starting back up in the spring.

mtbr member
    Incredible photos, Cenobite39. I had an unexpected encounter with a monster yellow-and-orange centipede several years back in the Superstitions...the memory of it still has me wanting to shower in holy water.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrigmig
    I'm more of a Heinlein-ite
    He could very well be my all time favorite. You may also like Peter F. Hamilton- Fallen Dragon, another goodie IMO, although of a very different style (of course).

EDR
    I am a Clive Barker fan.
    Well now. That explains the handle. (if it wasn't already obvious)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Well now. That explains the handle. (if it wasn't already obvious)
    Just did some quick googling. Obviously, some spend much time deciding on a screen names, while unfortunately, someone didn't.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster
    Incredible photos, Cenobite39. I had an unexpected encounter with a monster yellow-and-orange centipede several years back in the Superstitions...the memory of it still has me wanting to shower in holy water.
    Thanks !
    Yeah, the Supes are where I saw my first Giant Centipede.
    We should probably post a snake warning on this thread !

I have no problem getting close to rattlesnakes.
    Not even the nasty little prairie rattlesnakes that are found on the South Rim.

And while up on the North Rim, I have even had a Great Basin Rattlesnake lick my lens before

I let the mildly venomous Vine snake bite me to see what effects their venom has on humans. ( tingling hand and mild numbness )

As VP of the Arizona Heretological Association, I used to do a lot of public educating at SoMo and NoMo Parks. These are the animals I would bring along to put in display cages.

This is still one of my favorite reptiles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Just did some quick googling. Obviously, some spend much time deciding on a screen names, while unfortunately, someone didn't.
    Who's the unfortunate one??
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

EDR
    I Googled my handle. Not sure what to make of it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Who's the unfortunate one??
    Me.

mtbr member
    Me.
    What's wrong with "Stumpy29er?" I can certainly think of worse.

mtbr member
    I Googled my handle. Not sure what to make of it
    Actually, I was referring to Cenobite and the Clive Barker Hell Raiser thing, interesting. Your handle also took some thinking. Mine didn't. I'm surprised I didn't pick DCluvr, being as that was the first AZ trail that I rode. I was only making a dig at myself, no offense meant toward anybody else.

mtbr member
    What's wrong with "Stumpy29er?" I can certainly think of worse.
    Nothing really "wrong", just not creative like so many others. I don't even have the bike anymore, it was sacrificed to build another.

mtbr member
    Actually, I was referring to Cenobite and the Clive Barker Hell Raiser thing, interesting. Your handle also took some thinking. Mine didn't. I'm surprised I didn't pick DCluvr, being as that was the first AZ trail that I rode. I was only making a dig at myself, no offense meant toward anybody else.
    No offense taken at all, Stumpy. I'd wear that handle proudly--that will always be a great bike. I bet you'd never guess what my favorite desert critter is from my imaginative handle? Nice photo of one, Cenobite39.

AKA shitbird
    Awesome pics Cenobite!
    JRA

mtbr member
    Yes Cenobite, awesome. What's the white disk rubber banded to your camera?

EDR
    Actually, I was referring to Cenobite and the Clive Barker Hell Raiser thing, interesting. Your handle also took some thinking. Mine didn't. .

Mine took no thinking. I was drinking at the time

Cenobite: Way too close to that little Mohave Came across one of those green bad-boys during a solo night ride descent down Natty last spring/summer. That thing was smack in the middle of the trail and when I stopped and got off my bike it starting make a hellacious noise. I tucked my tail between my legs and gave a wide birth as I passed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Yes Cenobite, awesome. What's the white disk rubber banded to your camera?
    That is a home made flash diffuser.

Cenobite39 came from my HELLRAISER tattoo on my back that took 39 hours to complete.

"No Clue Crew"
    Mine took no thinking. I was drinking at the time

Cenobite: Way too close to that little Mohave Came across one of those green bad-boys during a solo night ride descent down Natty last spring/summer. That thing was smack in the middle of the trail and when I stopped and got off my bike it starting make a hellacious noise. I tucked my tail between my legs and gave a wide birth as I passed.
    It is actually a prairie rattlesnake (C.viridis)
    They are pretty variable in color and the further east you go into their habitat, the greener they usually get.

Here is a Mojave ( C. sutulatus )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast