just 1 more

Score: Highline-1, Me-0

So my son surprised me Saturday saying he wanted to go ride mountain bikes in the morning in Sedona. He's fully engaged in life right now with a long hours job, a 2&1/2 year old and another due in 2 weeks so riding is way down the list. OK, let's go ride Highline, he's never been on it. Since he only has clip-ins we stopped at Absolute Bikes and he picked up a set of platforms. Having not ridden it before and being off-form I offered my bike, a Stumpjumper FSR that he naturally accepted since his bike is a hardtail. We rode up the Shades and started up Highline with no problems, he was stoked to be on a bike again. It took a few oxygen stops and a couple of lifts to get up the front side but we were having a great time.
    Score:  Highline-1, Me-0-highline-frontside.jpg

A stop at the top then time to roll the backside. He rolled away from me and I got a wake-up call on the first chattery hard rock section that I was going too fast on a hardtail, but kept it on 2 wheels and slowed up a bit. A couple of hike-a-bikes on the hard downhill chunk sections and the only part left was the switchback reroute. I went first and rolled it to the last drop and waited for him to come by, he rolled the easy drop onto dirt and I followed...the left line was covered with loose dirt, the hardtail started a sideways slide and got squirrely and I tried a clean step-off when I hit the bottom. Almost did too except for the new platform pedals with the SHARP new pins that shredded my shin.
    Score:  Highline-1, Me-0-legslash.jpg
    Bled like a stuck pig, he cut his shirt up and wrapped it up and we rode out to Baldwin to VV School Road back to VOC then back to Cottonwood and the ER for some stiches and a tetanus shot. Nothing broken or sprained and a new tattoo with a story...
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Ouch - Looks painful.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    **** dude, warning plz

just 1 more
    Aww..man up dude, this is cleaned up. Oddly it doesn't hurt at all.
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff View Post
    Aww..man up dude, this is cleaned up. Oddly it doesn't hurt at all.
    Not yet

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I never can understand why people don't wear protection.
    live and learn?

Dog-food-eating-chicken
    ^^or that for some reason razor sharp platform pedals are safer than clipless...
    My legs hurt.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by nlytendone View Post
    ^^or that for some reason razor sharp platform pedals are safer than clipless...
    True, I run clipless on that trail since that's what I do a majority of my riding on. Sometimes, a drastic change to platforms for one ride can actually cause more harm. Still looks like you guys had fun though!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave View Post
    live and learn?
    Pads only protect the front of the legs, not the back. I always wear pads and only get scratches by the calf area. Anyone know of any pads that protect both front and back of leg?
    Last edited by nomoclips; 05-21-2013 at 01:30 PM.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave View Post
    live and learn?
    Well, I've ridden Sedona trails for 8 years and haven't had a need until I ride a strange bike. Lesson learned: ride my own bike. Didn't even give the pedals a close look, he bought them and they put them on the bike, no idea they had those sharp pins and what difference would it have made? My fail, no excuses.

Still a good day and...... no Sedona drama.
    something's missing..

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by nomoclips View Post
    Pads only protect the front of the legs, not the back. I always wear pads and only get scratches by the calf area. Anyone know of any pads that protect both front and back of leg?
    Sixsixone Riot Shin Guard 2012 > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Hard shell in the front but they wrap around the back with neoprene. There are 3 velcro straps that cover most of the back but there are a couple holes the the pedals can find occasionally. I never ride without them and as a result I don't have any additional scars on my legs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Sixsixone Riot Shin Guard 2012 > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Hard shell in the front but they wrap around the back with neoprene. There are 3 velcro straps that cover most of the back but there are a couple holes the the pedals can find occasionally. I never ride without them and as a result I don't have any additional scars on my legs.
    Thanks, but are there any combo knee/shin guards that protect the back of the leg too? I use the Fox Launch Pads.
    Fox Launch Knee / Shin Guards (Pair)

I like these because they are not too hot.

No Clue Crew
    Sixsixone Rampage Knee/Shin Guard 2012 > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I don't know if it secures the same way but it might. But, I think this has the same problem as EVERY other knee/shin combo out there: it doesn't cover your whole shin. Depending on how tall you are you'll have some of your lower shin exposed. That's why I stuck with the Kyle Straits & a separate shin guard.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Seems like pretty nasty drown side from those stick platform pedals.

AzJeff, Sorry to see those injuries, those look really deep. Not fun at all and at least you will live.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Flat pedals: 1
    You: 0
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member

Having something so bad happen on your first day with flats, it's understandable to say "geez, flats are bad..." But I'd chalk it up as a rare incident. I've ridden flats exclusively for 10+ years on multiple bikes in multiple disciplines. I've whacked my shins and calves a few times but I've never needed stitches, and neither have any of my friends who ride flats.

Is it a dangerous possibility with flats? Sure. But it's not like it's going to happen everyday. Also, flats work best with the right shoe. Those running shoes probably didn't do you any favors. Heal up!

just 1 more
    BB, Those are my going to the ER shoes, not my usual riding shoes. Low sticky hikers work well with the flats on my bike. This wasn't my first ride on flat pedals, they're new pedals on my son's bike. Needless to say no more bike trades, he can git his own squishy bike to ride.

Anyhow, it's healing nicely and there must be some bad mojo out there, I talked to a guy today who's heard of other riders getting hurt on Highline in the past week.
    something's missing..

mtbr member

Ah... My mistake. "Going to the ER shoes" made me laugh. Riding a different bike can be interesting. Way to take one for the team.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Hopefully your son enjoyed the ride. It was sounding like a real good experience up until the blood shed. I hope that he rides again within the next few weeks ... !!
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

bland
    Mine from 6 years ago. Anyone remember the syncros mental pedals?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Score:  Highline-1, Me-0-p4pb1818765-1-.jpg