parenting for gnarness

Schwalbe Hans Dampf - Trailstar or Pacestar?

trailstar - softer and grippier
    pacestar - harder, better rolling

I have the pacestar on my 29er, no complaints at all, handles the chunk in the McDowells well. These will go on my all-mountain bike for more Somo. Will the grip of the trailstar outweigh the durability?

My other ride is your mom
    Glad you moved on from your quest for the best Gatorade for AM riding...this is much more interesting.

mtbr member
    Don't do it! They're not worth the money.

They're a good all-rounder for an intermediate rider that doesn't push too hard in corners. Just my opinion, but the Big Betty as a front tire is night and day compared to the HD. The HD hooks up as a rear tire but durability is lacking. My experience is with the Trailstar compound.
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Don't do it! They're not worth the money.

They're a good all-rounder for an intermediate rider that doesn't push too hard in corners. Just my opinion, but the Big Betty as a front tire is night and day compared to the HD. The HD hooks up as a rear tire but durability is lacking. My experience is the the Trailstar compound.
    OK I trust your judgement and just ordered two Big Betty's for $39 each free shipping no tax. Do they also work well as a rear tire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    OK I trust your judgement and just ordered two Big Betty's for $39 each free shipping no tax. Do they also work well as a rear tire?
    You must have made a deal with the devil.
    "The world is worse when you are behind a keyboard. The world is best when you are behind handlebars." M77Ranger.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMtnBiker View Post
    yeah i saw that too and was about to buy, lot easier to try it out for $78 vs $130. fwiw, i have about 20 hours on a rear pacestar HD, and it still looks really good. mounted very easily tubeless, no weeping through sidewalls, and the sidewalls looks pretty strong (fingers crossed).

mtbr member
    From the HD threads I've read on a couple of forums it seems like folks like the 29r version for the most part, and they get dissed by those pushing it hard on 26 hoops.
    The issue I had really pertains to running it on the front. The transition knobs are too soft for my liking. That is perhaps a function of body weight. I would think the granitic soils on South Mountain will chew those puppies up in no time but what do I know. What a country!

parenting for gnarness
    From the HD threads I've read on a couple of forums it seems like folks like the 29r version for the most part, and they get dissed by those pushing it hard on 26 hoops.
    The issue I had really pertains to running it on the front. The transition knobs are too soft for my liking. That is perhaps a function of body weight. I would think the granitic soils on South Mountain will chew those puppies up in no time but what do I know. What a country!
    I could see hard cornering on a soft rubber being a problem. my experience with softer rubber down here is that it doesnt last - Nevegals, for example, are a good tire but wear too fast. especially on Somo-style crawling. Which is why for the 29er i went for the more durable compound - climbing the chunk esp on the 29er is less violent and more rolling, i think the sticky rubber on that bike would work against it since i just dont do the same style of moves on that bike. That all seems to generally follow what you've read.

anyway, thanks again for the suggestion I will pick up a pair of the Bettys. Trailstar seems to be most of what's out there for that tire.

mtbr member
    These are another option. Continental Bicycle -*Rubber Queen /Trail King

I've gotten a 1000 miles out of the UST 2.2 TK on the rear. That and more with the 2.4 on the front. They also have a rather tall profile so it's almost like running 27.5 wheels. Ha, but they are good for loose stuff over hard.

parenting for gnarness
    These are another option. Continental Bicycle -*Rubber Queen /Trail King

I've gotten a 1000 miles out of the UST 2.2 TK on the rear. That and more with the 2.4 on the front. They also have a rather tall profile so it's almost like running 27.5 wheels. Ha, but they are good for loose stuff over hard.
    what a muthafuggin country!

mtbr member
    I love Hans Dampf 2.35... best tire I ever ran. In my personal experience, PaceStar wears down a lot faster then TrailStar.

banned
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    what a muthafuggin country!
    You have made my day, I think TD would agree.

I was given 5 Tubeless 2.35 Schwalbe HD's by the Pivot Finland race team. They rode them in one race and gave them to me for telling them how great of riders they are. Anyway they wore out in about a month and they needed about 40 lbs of air to not fell mushy. I never thought I would ever ride with 40 lbs. in my tires, but had to with those.

I sure wasn't going to throw them away and buy something mow better, I hope I am happy with those Big Betty's. I think I may have been suckered into those. Have you ever been suckered before. Have you ever told someone something in secret, and they told someone else? Then you found out what you told them was only partly correct?

What a muthafuggin country. I like that!

trail "cleaner"
    Cholla... stay away from the HD's in the Trailstar compound... For our chunk, the compound is way too soft and you'll always have that 'squirmy' feeling underneath you forcing constant micro adjustments to keep lines. 2nd, you'll blow through them in a month (especially in the rear). Knobs tear off easily. A much better tire option that's also substantially cheaper would be the On One Chunky Monkey. There are two compounds, Trail Extreme for the ultimate traction (dual compound with 50a on the center and 42a on the sides) or the Enduro which is straight 50a. Check them out...
    Tires
    No dabs allowed!

parenting for gnarness
    good lawd...i have started another tire thread . thanks everyone for some great feedback esp. on lesser-known brands. I decided to nix the Schwalbe betty's as i could only find them in the softer rubber at the lower price. Thanks AZmtncycler for the On Ones (and good to hear from ya!), ordering 2 as soon as I get outta this meeting- $30 per and free shipping is a great deal.

I am Bob

Data

Expand your research question
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe Hans Dampf - Trailstar or Pacestar?-graph1.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    got my On Ones yesterday, fast shipping and good price. Mounted up tubeless without any soap. Will fill it with goo and give it a try this weekend. Like the look of these so far!

trail "cleaner"
    got my On Ones yesterday, fast shipping and good price. Mounted up tubeless without any soap. Will fill it with goo and give it a try this weekend. Like the look of these so far!
    Cholla... did you go with the Enduro compound or the Trail Extreme?
    No dabs allowed!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Cholla... did you go with the Enduro compound or the Trail Extreme?
    enduros, was all they had, but i imagine that will be just fine, maybe even preferable for predictability and longevity. thanks again for the tip!

EDR
    Cholla, are you mounting them on a UST rim?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Cholla, are you mounting them on a UST rim?
    Flows

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I love my HDs and have run a Trailstar front and Pacestar rear. They grip quite well in my experience for everything from park days (Trestle) to South Mountain. That said don't expect to get that many miles out of the 26" tires but you've got to pay to play.

No Clue Crew
    enduros, was all they had, but i imagine that will be just fine, maybe even preferable for predictability and longevity. thanks again for the tip!
    The finally got the Trail Extreme in Friday. I was holding off and my Butchers still had a little life in them so I waited. Got them on TiSSR's recommendation. Looking forward to mounting them and regaining some confidence when I lean. Those damn Butchers just don't have much life in the side knobs. I was trying to keep money at the LBS but won't be riding Butchers again.