mtbr member

School me FR guys...

So lately ive been noticing that my front fork (an 03 Marzocchi Bomber dirt Jumper III) has a ton of rebound, so if i hit something and i stop, the front rockets back up while my body and face keep going forward, or if i hit a big rock it likes to bounce back up instead of soaking it up...

so i looked up the manual for it and it says its a Slalom dirt jumper (whatever that means) and free ride type fork.

Now dont get me wrong im sure i have too much air pressure in there and need to take some out. But before i do that i'd like to start to hit some jumps and stuff out at NRA because it seems likes it that better than anything else.

So my after my long winded explanation of nothing, my question is, would my fox float RL shock in the rear, be able to handle the jumps the fork can handle?

Is my bike a decent enough bike (04 Norco Fluid) to handle small to moderate jumps??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get a new fork.

dirt visionary
    Fork sucks but will work . Also rear shock is fine but not ideal. Yes your bike will handle jumps till it breaks I have seen guys jumping walmart bikes so the norco will last till you move on .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Monster T!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Fork sucks but will work . Also rear shock is fine but not ideal. Yes your bike will handle jumps till it breaks I have seen guys jumping walmart bikes so the norco will last till you move on .
    Works for me

Out of curiosity, what makes this fork crappy??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yup, get a Monster T and you can drop 25 footers to flat and nail the sickest stair gaps on your next urban assault!!! NWD 1 all over again!

mtbr member
    Of the DJ series it is the bottum rung. I had a DJ 2 and that thing was an anchor. I sold it a while back and don't remember too much about it but there really wasn't too many adjustments adn teh spring rate seemed like poo. Others thoughts may differ. But for the most part take it and beat it like a lady of the night.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Get a new fork.
    One more time, get a new fork. You will thank us later.

mtbr member
    One more time, get a new fork. You will thank us later.
    that sir requires $$$$ and being a poor ass college kid with no current job its slightly difficult to go out and get another fork...unless you have a spare that you'd be willing to swap with for a while

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade View Post
    that sir requires $$$$ and being a poor ass college kid with no current job its slightly difficult to go out and get another fork...unless you have a spare that you'd be willing to swap with for a while
    Sell some weed dude.

I'm kidding of course.........sort of. Ride the snot out of it and be stoked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is the only issue it having lots of rebound? Or are you missing travel too? My Marz 55r lost travel and as the travel decreased the rebound went up dramatically. Has to do with the suntour cartridge they used in mine but i dont know how far back they had issues with them. If youre losing travel check pinkbike for the damper mod

No Clue Crew
    Ride the snot out of it and be stoked!
    Agreed. Ride it hard and long and when you finally are able to get another it will be that much sweeter!

mtbr member
    I've hit everything at NRA with a 2004 5" Dirt Jumper III on a hardtail (which is actually still a very fun bike to take out anywhere). To be honest it wasent that bad... not as comfortable as a big bike by any means but it can be done, plus you'll definately learn to pick your lines better and land smoother. And watching the BMXers out there is just scary... yet somehow impressive.

That fork is a beast and you can change just about any setting on it with just a cressent wrench and bike pump.

Tons of rebound would mean that when you press down on the fork it will return back slow.
    If the 2003 is the same as the 2004...
    Sounds like you have both springs in... mine was the same way when I got it, its made for dirt jumping so its going to be stiff. Try taking the top cap off of the left side (left side when you're sitting on the bike) and removing the spring. Put about 20 psi in on the right side and about 5 on the left. Then adjust from there. Should be a little more plush for trail riding.
    If you want to head out to NRA, ill take the hardtail and hit up the B line with you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The DJ fork works well for DJ. Dirt jumps usually cause relatively slow speed impacts that are easily handled by the orofice damper. Rocks at high speed on the other hand usually require a more advanced/expensive damper/fork to be absorbed properly. Your fork should work fine. I do have a monster t for cheap tho, haha.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.