Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I am Walt

Listen! Save the Date! - Quadruple Bypass 2009 - Sat, Jan. 24, 2009

Save the date...more info to follow. I wanted to get this out so you can set a placeholder, and adjust your schedules, if necessary.

This is the "traditional" weekend for this ride (if being the 3rd time can be a "tradition") in-between the NFL Championship games and the Super Bowl (for those - like me - that care about that).

This is a social ride, not a race, though it's hard and should be considered B/B+ or better. I expect there to be at least one fast breakaway group (umm...paging dgangi, chollaball, etc...).

This is also three weeks before the 24 HITOP, so it's a great part of the training for that.

Here's the link to last year's thread (lots of info linked through this thread):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...adruple+Bypass

Also, do an Advanced Search on "Quadruple Bypass" in the Title, and you'll have a number of other good threads to review.

Hope to see you...

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Hmmm...

I might be down for this one. I've always wanted to try it...

mtbr member
    I've never ridden with you guys, but would love to do this ride. I'll put it on my calendar.

Kathleen in AZ
    I missed '08 due to a screaming neck injury so I certainly hope to do it in '09! 2007 was a blast and really marked when I started to get faster and feel better due to improved eating habits. We'll see how much I've slipped in the last 2 years (I blame any slippage on beer yummm. beeeeer.)

Hawes Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Hmmm...

+1

Walt-I know you ride SS but is this a SS type of ride that can be 'easily' done or should I use multiple gears?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ XC
    +1

Walt-I know you ride SS but is this a SS type of ride that can be 'easily' done or should I use multiple gears?
    This is one ride that I don't SS...just too much of a grind for me. I mean, it's brutal on an SS. That said, there have been a number of very strong riders that have done so, some on rigids, so it absolutely can be done.

I'm just happy to get through it on gears without every muscle in my body cramping up.
    Ride more; post less...

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I missed '08 due to a screaming neck injury so I certainly hope to do it in '09! 2007 was a blast and really marked when I started to get faster and feel better due to improved eating habits. We'll see how much I've slipped in the last 2 years (I blame any slippage on beer yummm. beeeeer.)
    I blame it on your Moth , cause what you may have lost in speed you have gained in gnaraliciousness.

Looking forward to it Walt (but you knew that).

Hawes Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    This is one ride that I don't SS...just too much of a grind for me. I mean, it's brutal on an SS. That said, there have been a number of very strong riders that have done so, some on rigids, so it absolutely can be done.

I'm just happy to get through it on gears without every muscle in my body cramping up.
    Allrighty then-looks like I'll need to tune up the old geary bike and get use to shifting and suspension. I'll mark the calendar and screw training for the 24 hr race, I'm training for this.

AZ XC

parenting for gnarness
    Hmmm...

SparklePony?

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    This is one ride that I don't SS...just too much of a grind for me.
    Weak!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

banned
    i'll be riding my SS cross bike. Maybe girlysheti will show me the way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    SparklePony?
    No. Sparkle Pony is down with cracked linkage plates.

Probably my Bullit. I just put a new fork on, so it should be good to go

parenting for gnarness

oh well a 7inch bullit will make everything better . maybe we can throw you and some of those rigid SS guys into a room together and you will all emerge with 4inch bikes .

look forward to meeting you!

sixsixtysix

Morphine with a Monster T?

mtbr member
    oh well a 7inch bullit will make everything better . maybe we can throw you and some of those rigid SS guys into a room together and you will all emerge with 4inch bikes .

look forward to meeting you!
    It has a granny gear.

I used to ride a rigid SS...no thanks...

Same here!

workin' it Administrator
    cool. I will be ramping up for the 24ITOP and from 9months of dormancy so that should be right up my alley. Did it last time but can't remember if I ran SS or geared?

Hmm seems i did do it SS and rigid (location: Final hill)

Quad_1-26-08_197.JPG

so it is doable but pick a good gear. A really good gear cause you are going to need it.
    Try this: HTFU

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    . Did it last time but can't remember if I ran SS or geared?.

wtf? even i remember you did it SS and rigid. That sort of insanity can't be forgotten. hope you make it David, and your taint has since recovered from last year.

Here are some links to Sam's (u2meetoo) site, David's pics and my site for some of the blow-by-blow from last year. It was one of the best riding days of this year, by far.

http://u2metoo.blogspot.com/2008/01/...-mountain.html

Quad Bypass Ride Report (photo heavy and long)

http://chollaball.net/blog/2008/01/q...-bypass-2.html

workin' it Administrator
    wtf? even i remember you did it SS and rigid. That sort of insanity can't be forgotten. hope you make it David, and your taint has since recovered from last year.

Here are some links to Sam's (u2meetoo) site, David's pics and my site for some of the blow-by-blow from last year. It was one of the best riding days of this year, by far.

http://u2metoo.blogspot.com/2008/01/...-mountain.html

Quad Bypass Ride Report (photo heavy and long)

http://chollaball.net/blog/2008/01/q...-bypass-2.html

impending baby madness. Forget everything in that frantic rush to finish everything on your to do list in 9 months. Definitely glad this is happening again had a really good time and redefined what I thought was possible to ride rigid and SS.

Felt like hell after the drive back to Tucson though. Still worth it.

Mythical Creature

Blew it last year...

Had to miss out on last years fun due to last minute FUBAR at work, but will make it down on my dang birthday weekend this coming January come hell or high water. Here's a question - anyone know if the Antelope Peak Challenge is on the next day (again)? It'd make for one hell of a grade-A early season conditioning weekend! I suppose I could ride that route anyhow - sans the actual event - but that kind of pain is better endured with friends!

glen
    [SIZE=1]mister-don't-call-it-a-comeback; I've been here-for-years...
    (ll cool j)
    [/SIZE]
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Damn!

I was ready to be one of those silly singlespeeders who attempt the bypass but it is the same day as the Single Speed Arizona event in Tucson.

Gotta go with the singleswizzle event.

Tucson, AZ
    In lieu of both events, the APC is going to be on the 25th of January.

SSAZ + APC
    or Quad + APC....hmmmmmmmmmm. Tough decision.

mtbr member
    I would be down for that kind of massochism.

Any recommended rides to familiarize with this area? Is there a loop you recommend where I can cut it short, but get familiar enough to know how to handle the terrain? I wouldn't want to attempt this without being used to some of the climbs and washes. Are the trails marked well out there.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott

Any recommended rides to familiarize with this area? Is there a loop you recommend where I can cut it short, but get familiar enough to know how to handle the terrain? I wouldn't want to attempt this without being used to some of the climbs and washes. Are the trails marked well out there.

find a climb that goes straight up with some wash outs but acceptable traction. Put in some descents that go straight down with some washouts and the smell of smoking rotors. Get a little creek riding action. Add some serious pedestrian traffic on Jeep roads. Put in some twisty steep descents with hairball edge conditions and some long extended twisty climbs with some epic scenery and you have it. Oh and fatigue, add a liberal dose of that too.

I will defer to others who might have an idea of what can replicate this.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott

go ride some of the McDowell Preserve. simple taste would be to park at Lost Dog TH around 124th st and climb Sunrise, then descent and go the other way up to Taliesen, continuing up Paradise Wash, then back to the start: 2-3hrs. Search this threat or the sticky for better directions and maps. The trails are very well marked.

Any of the big climbs\descents (Bell, Windgate) will get you a sample, however.

mtbr member
    go ride some of the McDowell Preserve. simple taste would be to park at Lost Dog TH around 124th st and climb Sunrise, then descent and go the other way up to Taliesen, continuing up Paradise Wash, then back to the start: 2-3hrs. Search this threat or the sticky for better directions and maps. The trails are very well marked.

Any of the big climbs\descents (Bell, Windgate) will get you a sample, however.
    Yeah, I was reading the description on a couple of these guys' blogs. It sounds like there are a few bailout areas, that I would like to explore. If I get lost trying that, I will try your recommendations. The climbing sounds like a blast!! Thanks for the directions.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast